Bank Account Balance

On one of my bank accounts an incorrect balance is showing in the "Balance" column, even though on the bottom of screen it shows the correct "Ending balance" and "Online balance". The Customer Support desk could not figure it out. Any advise?

Best Answer

• JNeubauer3
    JNeubauer3 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    I'm having the same issue, the value shown in the "Balance" column within the register is incorrect, but the value shown at the bottom for "Current Balance", "Online Balance", and "Ending Balance" are all correct.
    In addition, the value shown for balance in the account list is correct. Also, the net worth calculation is correct. It appears to simply be a display issue.
    I've gone through the register, looking for duplicate transactions or something that would throw off the balance, but none exist.
    This is only occurring on two checking accounts. All my other accounts are fine.
    The difference is quite significant - let's say I have an account with ~$1,000.00 in it, it's showing the balance to be ~$250,000.00. All my transactions have been reconciled. Entering a simple "correction" transaction would not work, as it would throw off the actual balance of the account.

I believe this is an error on Quicken's end...specifically related to paycheck deposits. The 2 accounts I have that are messed up are the ones that where paychecks are deposited.

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just a thought ... make sure your filters across the top are not set to anything specific.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    If you haven’t already, you may want to verify the register is sorted appropriately and there aren’t any unexpected filters being applied:  open the register, select the Date column header (you want the small triangle to right of Date to point up) and Reset.
  • George67
    George67 Member
    Thank you for your response and suggestion. I had previously tried playing with the filters, but that did not correct my problem.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it isn't a problem with a Filter setting and it isn't caused by the register sorted by something other than the Date column ...

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of your Quicken account register window (minus the Account Bar) showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• JNeubauer3
    JNeubauer3 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    I'm having the same issue, the value shown in the "Balance" column within the register is incorrect, but the value shown at the bottom for "Current Balance", "Online Balance", and "Ending Balance" are all correct.
    In addition, the value shown for balance in the account list is correct. Also, the net worth calculation is correct. It appears to simply be a display issue.
    I've gone through the register, looking for duplicate transactions or something that would throw off the balance, but none exist.
    This is only occurring on two checking accounts. All my other accounts are fine.
    The difference is quite significant - let's say I have an account with ~$1,000.00 in it, it's showing the balance to be ~$250,000.00. All my transactions have been reconciled. Entering a simple "correction" transaction would not work, as it would throw off the actual balance of the account.

I believe this is an error on Quicken's end...specifically related to paycheck deposits. The 2 accounts I have that are messed up are the ones that where paychecks are deposited.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    In the past couple of days I have seen multiple similar reports on this strange balance issue on this community.  Please take a look at this link where the user was able to resolve the balance issue by restoring from a backup file of a few weeks ago (prior to the recent few updates).
    This is just my guess: It appears that the update process of one of the last three patches (R39.17, R39.21 or R39.23) damaged the file.  And now that you are updated, if you restore your pre-update backup (which was release R38.30), you may be back in business.
    If it were me, this is what I would do:
    1- back up the current file with date stamp
    2- Reinstall the latest Mondo patch from here - in case your current installation is corrupt, this step it will overwrite and correct any installation/update issues
    3- Launch Quicken to verify that the patch installation is successful.  Close it.
    4- Select a backup file that you made before R39.17 and restore it.  Technically the update process should've created a backup file for you that contains R38.30 version name in it (e.g. Quicken-R-38.30-2022-02-28.QDF-backup) - that is what I would recommend to restore from.  In the absence of that, R39.17 was released somewhere between late Feb to Mar 4.  So I would select a backup file before that (late February)
    Let's see if this helps.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• FejFromCary
    FejFromCary Member ✭✭
    This is the type of thing that Quicken should fix - I've downloaded hundreds of transactions since the update before I noticed how far off the balance was.
    The fact that hundreds or thousands of users have to manually fix this is really bad customer service and shows that there may be a severe weakness in the QA procedures.
  • JNeubauer3
    JNeubauer3 Member ✭✭
    @FejFromCary
    100% Agree... I have no desire to manually recreate accounts and transaction that have I've entered over the last few months.
    Quicken broke it, Quicken should fix it. The fact that this even happened (and similar errors probably occur daily) is unacceptable, especially in the financial industry.

@Quicken:
    If Quicken is unable to correct this error (it seems like they are either unable or unwilling to correct), they could, at the very least, waive the annual fee for the product for those affected.
  • sparkplug
    sparkplug Member
    When I printed out my account balances the system posted the wrong dates for the last 3 transactions, it shows March 30.2022 instead of April 1,2022 how do I correct this error???
This discussion has been closed.