Why One Step Update says "Not Responding"

Lately when I do either a One Step Update or update individual accounts using the gear icon in the register, the update window title bar after a few seconds will say "Not Responding". If I click anywhere on the screen I get a Windows message to close the program or wait for it to respond. When I click "Wait", after a few minutes the update continues, however, no data is actually updated. For example, today, April 4 I updated a Capital One checking account and the update summary says 1 account updated, 3/26

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    AllanDB said:
    Lately when I do either a One Step Update or update individual accounts using the gear icon in the register, the update window title bar after a few seconds will say "Not Responding". If I click anywhere on the screen I get a Windows message to close the program or wait for it to respond. When I click "Wait", after a few minutes the update continues, however, no data is actually updated. For example, today, April 4 I updated a Capital One checking account and the update summary says 1 account updated, 3/26

Any help would be appreciated.
    Hello @AllanDB,   

I am sorry about this issue with One Step Updates. Thank you for reaching out about this problem here on the Quicken Community.

My first recommendation would be to restore from a backup. Be sure to save backups often by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen as this is paramount in data preservation and can be helpful in a large number of scenarios. Given that a recent backup is available, go to Restore a Backup File... in the menu mentioned just previously. I am curious to here whether or not these symptoms persist after this is attempted.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this situation.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • AllanDB
    AllanDB Member ✭✭
    I backed up my file and then restored it, but One Step Update is still very unresponsive. The most recent update I did earlier today did not have the "Not Responding" problem, but the update is incredibly slow, and the circular progress indicators stop turning for considerable periods of time before the update finally finishes.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @AllanDB,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.
    1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• AllanDB
    AllanDB Member ✭✭
    Anja, thank you for the suggestion, but signing out and signing back in did not solve the problem. In addition, when One Step Update did finally finish, after multiple "Not Responding" messages, the Summary did not show Capital One Bank as having been updated, even though there were new transactions as indicated by the red flag in the Account bar.

Since I relogged in, Quicken wanted to sync to the Cloud (which it did), even though on One Step Update I did not check to sync with the cloud and the Summary box says there were errors updating to the Cloud. When I check with app on my phone, none of my investment accounts show up even though they are checked to be synced in the Mobile and Web tab.

This is really a mess. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    AllanDB said:
    Anja, thank you for the suggestion, but signing out and signing back in did not solve the problem. In addition, when One Step Update did finally finish, after multiple "Not Responding" messages, the Summary did not show Capital One Bank as having been updated, even though there were new transactions as indicated by the red flag in the Account bar.

Since I relogged in, Quicken wanted to sync to the Cloud (which it did), even though on One Step Update I did not check to sync with the cloud and the Summary box says there were errors updating to the Cloud. When I check with app on my phone, none of my investment accounts show up even though they are checked to be synced in the Mobile and Web tab.

This is really a mess. Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Hello @AllanDB,                    

I am sorry to hear that this issue remains ongoing. Thank you for continuing to follow up with us about this problem.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

I look forward to hearing your answer.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • AllanDB
    AllanDB Member ✭✭
    It is on my C drive under Documents\Quicken
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @AllanDB,

Thank you for your responses and for attempting the troubleshooting steps.

Next, I suggest creating a test file and adding a couple of accounts, and then performing an OSU to see if the same error occurs. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• AllanDB
    AllanDB Member ✭✭
    I created a test file and added accounts from Capital One Bank, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, Vanguard and TD Ameritrade and One Step Update works perfectly.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @AllanDB

Thank you for your response and for attempting the test file, I am happy to hear that the accounts updated and the OSU worked as expected in the test file. 

Due to this, I recommend restoring from a backup that was created before the errors with One Step Update began to occur. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to get back to the position you started in. 

Here is a link to a Support Article that discusses saving and restoring from backups. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.