Getting duplicates when downloading a year's transactions and then continuing on

I need to download all of my 2021 transactions for all accounts. The bank transactions worked fine. I moved to the credit cards and started with Capital One.
Try 1: Set up account, allowed one-step update. Updated (got 2022). Added 2021 manually. Had dups. Contacted support and was told to download in smaller groups.
Try 2: Deleted account. Opened Quicken and downloaded in 4 sections. Life looked OK. Turned on One-Step. Got duplicates inserted. The dups are generally dated 1 or 2 days after the actual transactions and not all transactions are duplicated.

Several repeats on variations of Try 2 with similar results.

I don't want to have to manually update the accounts each month and I can't use the system if the One-Step process is going to automatically generate duplicates.

Can someone identify the operator error or offer cogent advice?? Thanks

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It is not uncommon for duplicate transactions to be entered into account registers when the connection method is changed.  It does not happen like that every time, just sometimes.  If the data downloaded by the Financial Institution (FI) is even a little different between the 3 different connection methods it can cause Quicken to not recognize data that was previously downloaded so the duplicates do not get filtered out.
    Manually downloading/importing transactions is the Web Connect (WC) connection method.  Then when you set up One Step Update (OSU) you changed the connection method to either Express Web Connect (EWC) or Direct Connect (DC).  The duplicates will need to be manually deleted and it should not happen again provided you stay with the current EWC or DC connection method.
    Also, there are 2 different dates that are reported in Quicken. 
    • One is the register default Date which is the Transaction Date...or the date that the FI shows the transaction took place.  This date can be one or two days after the actual transaction date...it all depends on what date was reported to the FI.  For me, it seems to happen most frequently with credit card transactions.
    • The other is the optional Posting Date which is the date the transaction cleared at the FI.  This can be anywhere from 0-3 days after the Transaction Date.
    I like to have both dates shown in my registers.  If you wish to do the same check the icon on the right above the up/down scroll bar that kind of looks like a small calendar to open the drop down menu showing which columns are to be shown in the register.  Then check the box for Downloaded posting date.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    It is not uncommon for duplicate transactions to be entered into account registers when the connection method is changed.  It does not happen like that every time, just sometimes.  If the data downloaded by the Financial Institution (FI) is even a little different between the 3 different connection methods it can cause Quicken to not recognize data that was previously downloaded so the duplicates do not get filtered out.
    Manually downloading/importing transactions is the Web Connect (WC) connection method.  Then when you set up One Step Update (OSU) you changed the connection method to either Express Web Connect (EWC) or Direct Connect (DC).  The duplicates will need to be manually deleted and it should not happen again provided you stay with the current EWC or DC connection method.
    Also, there are 2 different dates that are reported in Quicken. 
    • One is the register default Date which is the Transaction Date...or the date that the FI shows the transaction took place.  This date can be one or two days after the actual transaction date...it all depends on what date was reported to the FI.  For me, it seems to happen most frequently with credit card transactions.
    • The other is the optional Posting Date which is the date the transaction cleared at the FI.  This can be anywhere from 0-3 days after the Transaction Date.
    I like to have both dates shown in my registers.  If you wish to do the same check the icon on the right above the up/down scroll bar that kind of looks like a small calendar to open the drop down menu showing which columns are to be shown in the register.  Then check the box for Downloaded posting date.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    GlennJ said:
    I need to download all of my 2021 transactions for all accounts. The bank transactions worked fine. I moved to the credit cards and started with Capital One.
    Try 1: Set up account, allowed one-step update. Updated (got 2022). Added 2021 manually. Had dups. Contacted support and was told to download in smaller groups.
    Try 2: Deleted account. Opened Quicken and downloaded in 4 sections. Life looked OK. Turned on One-Step. Got duplicates inserted. The dups are generally dated 1 or 2 days after the actual transactions and not all transactions are duplicated.

Several repeats on variations of Try 2 with similar results.

I don't want to have to manually update the accounts each month and I can't use the system if the One-Step process is going to automatically generate duplicates.

Can someone identify the operator error or offer cogent advice?? Thanks
    Hello @GlennJ,

I am sorry to hear about this issue with duplicate transaction downloads. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Quicken Community. 

First, be sure to save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the menu at the top of the screen. Do this frequently, as it is vital in preserving data and can even be beneficial in a large number of difficult situations.

Next, are you able to drag and drop one of the duplicate transactions atop each other in the register? They may match automatically when this is attempted. I simply want to be sure that this is not the case. You may also notice a number of manual transactions in your register that are not matching after a One Step Update.

Finally, another thing to consider is the connection method that is being used to connect to online banking services and whether or not this has recently changed. You can check the connection method anytime by going to Tools > Account List and looking at the Transaction Download column. If this has changed recently, then this could be a potential source of duplication. 

I hope this is helpful, and I look forward to your reply. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • GlennJ
    GlennJ Member ✭✭
    Working with the Quicken service department we added the ID column to the display. The duplicate transactions have radically different ID numbers (Manually loaded are numeric, One-Step are alpha-numeric and around 80 characters long. This appears to be a vendor problem. I'm staying with manual update for now.
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GlennJ

Thank you for your response. Pardon the inconvenience, but if you need further assistance we recommend contacting your financial institution to escalate this issue. However, if you run into any other issues or have questions please let us know. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • GlennJ
    GlennJ Member ✭✭
    Thanks -- oscillation in progress -- when I try this again in 3 months I'll let you know if it works.
  • GlennJ
    GlennJ Member ✭✭
    That would be escalation. I love automatic spell checkers - Not
  • Quicken Paloma
    Quicken Paloma Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @GlennJ

Thank you for your response. Please keep us updated and let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

-Quicken Paloma
  • donnawiesn
    donnawiesn Member
    Capital One Bank finally dowloaded but only with new account names (no options) that dont make sense. if I change them I don't download. Quicken call or chat is impossible to reach, why provide that option if it does not exist?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Capital One Bank finally dowloaded but only with new account names (no options) that dont make sense. if I change them I don't download. Quicken call or chat is impossible to reach, why provide that option if it does not exist?
    If you click on "Call Us" or "Chat With Us" and you do not get the pop ups, make sure to turn off any pop up blockers you might have turned on or make sure that Quicken.com is white listed.
    Also, make sure you are signed in to your Quicken.com online account.
    FYI, if you are signed in to Quicken.com then there should also be a phone number listed there that you can call.

This discussion has been closed.