The Quicken Mac Window keeps jumping

varadacr
varadacr Member ✭✭
I have a Quicken for Mac subscription. Currently I am on Version 6.6.2 (Build 606.43218.100). My Mac OS Version is macOS 12.3.1
When I click on a specific item (like an account) on the Quicken window, many times the screen just jumps to some random location. Is there any fix to address this?
Tagged:

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    This sounds like perhaps more of a macOS problem than Quicken. That said, glitches like this are often solved by restarting the computer. Have you done that? If you have already done that, here are some additional troubleshooting steps:
    1. try restarting in safe mode to eliminate any startup software that's causing this. 
    2. try creating a new temporary user account on the Mac and try to run Quicken from there (using a COPY of your Quicken data file). If this solves the problem, then we would know there's something in your main user account causing it. 
    3. finally, you can create a new data file in Quicken (menu File > New), add a couple accounts and see if the problem goes away. If so, then this indicates a problem with your file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    varadacr said:
    When I click on a specific item (like an account) on the Quicken window, many times the screen just jumps to some random location. Is there any fix to address this?
    So you're clicking on the account in the left sidebar? And the register displayed on the right side of the screen is the "random location" you're describing? Do you mean it's randomly back in time, rather than on the latest transaction? Or do you mean you click on Account A and it display something other than Account A's register? 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • varadacr
    varadacr Member ✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > This sounds like perhaps more of a macOS problem than Quicken. That said, glitches like this are often solved by restarting the computer. Have you done that? If you have already done that, here are some additional troubleshooting steps:* try restarting in safe mode to eliminate any startup software that's causing this. 
    > * try creating a new temporary user account on the Mac and try to run Quicken from there (using a COPY of your Quicken data file). If this solves the problem, then we would know there's something in your main user account causing it. 
    > * finally, you can create a new data file in Quicken (menu File > New), add a couple accounts and see if the problem goes away. If so, then this indicates a problem with your file.

I highly doubt this is an OS issue, as this happens only for Quicken and none of my various other applications. When I say click on a specific item, I meant to say any of the Quicken clickable widgets/items such as an account name or a menu item or a register entry or a report.
  • varadacr
    varadacr Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > So you're clicking on the account in the left sidebar? And the register displayed on the right side of the screen is the "random location" you're describing? Do you mean it's randomly back in time, rather than on the latest transaction? Or do you mean you click on Account A and it display something other than Account A's register? 

When I say "click on a specific item", I meant to say any of the Quicken clickable widgets/items such as an account name or a menu item or a register entry or a report. So basically any click on the Quicken application window. When I say "the screen just jumps to some random location", I mean the Quicken application window moves to a random location - mostly to the left of my physical screen hiding most of its contents. I then have to drag and move the window to the center of focus. As I mentioned, this does not happen for every click but frequently enough to annoy me.
  • jacobs
    Hmmm. There is nothing I'm aware of in Quicken Mac which moves any window on your desktop, so the behavior you describe sounds completely unfamiliar. And it sure sounds like something with your Mac rather than something in Quicken.

Could you try a test or two?

Create a new User on your Mac (in System Preferences > Users & Groups). Log into the new user account and launch Quicken. Allow it to create a new file, starting from scratch. Create a couple accounts (manual accounts; you don't need to log into your actual financial institutions), and create a few transactions in each account. As you work, do you see any of the jumping behavior?

A second test would be to restart your Mac in Safe mode — holding down the Shift key when you restart — and logging into your normal User account. Launch Quicken and see if the jumpy behavior is present.

Both of these tests aims to see if there is something software running on your Mac which could be causing this behavior.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @jacobs I had already suggested these troubleshooting steps above and the OP quoted my post without indicating in any way if they had attempted these steps. Hard to help users who don't acknowledge our attempts to help.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    Yup, I was reiterating that this doesn’t sound like a Quicken issue, although the user thinks it is. The two tests mentioned would help pin down the source of the problem.
This discussion has been closed.