How do I get rid of popup saying I need to update?

SuzWalk
SuzWalk Member ✭✭
When I go to update as instructed, it says I am up to date, but the popup still happens. I have Quicken 2016 for Mac.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Bottom line: You cannot get rid of the popup. When it says you are up to date, it is saying you are using the most recent version of the 2016 app. The reason it's up to date is because this version is no longer being updated. This means if any security flaws are discovered, or if it quits working with current macOS, there will not be any updates to this version to correct this. 

Quicken has long since moved to a subscription model. You need an active subscription to use any online features and to receive any program updates. The popup you are seeing is Quicken trying to persuade you to subscribe to the current app. You can subscribe to QMac (Deluxe edition or higher) and continue to use that version when the subscription expires, albeit without online functionality or app updates. You would, however, still get popups reminding you that your subscription is expired.

(Don't shoot the messenger.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    No one seems to be pointing out the obvious. Since you are using the 2016 version, you clearly have had no immediate use for any "on-line" based features for at least 4+ years, including downloading data into Quicken. So, if your needs have not changed, the subscription version will not give you much, since it is essentially the same product, unless you are looking for some of the improvements in some of the features.

P.S. at this point, Simplifi cannot import Quicken data.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Answers

• RickO
    Answer ✓
    Bottom line: You cannot get rid of the popup. When it says you are up to date, it is saying you are using the most recent version of the 2016 app. The reason it's up to date is because this version is no longer being updated. This means if any security flaws are discovered, or if it quits working with current macOS, there will not be any updates to this version to correct this. 

Quicken has long since moved to a subscription model. You need an active subscription to use any online features and to receive any program updates. The popup you are seeing is Quicken trying to persuade you to subscribe to the current app. You can subscribe to QMac (Deluxe edition or higher) and continue to use that version when the subscription expires, albeit without online functionality or app updates. You would, however, still get popups reminding you that your subscription is expired.

(Don't shoot the messenger.)
  • SuzWalk
    SuzWalk Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I had no idea there was an Online version of Quicken. If you could send me the link I will look into it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    SuzWalk said:
    Thank you. I had no idea there was an Online version of Quicken. If you could send me the link I will look into it.
    Note "subscription" doesn't equate to "online", it is how you pay for Quicken, it doesn't change how it works.

EDIT, but note just the fact that you are using a supported version might determine if you can use a given feature like sync to Mobile/Web or downloading transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • SuzWalk
    SuzWalk Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I would be interested in looking into Quicken Mac subscription version if you could send the link.
  • RickO
    Here's the link for current Quicken products: https://www.quicken.com/product-selector

Note that the Home and Business edition is Windows only. The Starter edition doesn't do investment accounts, among other things, and becomes read-only if the subscription expires. The only difference between Deluxe and Premier is access to premium support and the inclusion of a certain number of Quicken Bill Pay/Check Pay transactions each month.

Also note that Quicken does in fact have an online-only product now, called Simplifi, shown in the first column. Data for that product lives in the cloud. I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for its reliability.

If you are considering purchasing a subscription, take a look at online and brick and mortar sellers as they often offer prices lower than buying directly from Quicken. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will also point out that "premium support" consists of a toll-free number and that if and you go to the "front of the line" over a non-premium support customer" that is waiting for support to pick up.  Other than that, there isn't anything different.  You will be contacting the same people.
    Signature:
  • SuzWalk
    SuzWalk Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I will also point out that "premium support" consists of a toll-free number and that if and you go to the "front of the line" over a non-premium support customer" that is waiting for support to pick up.  Other than that, there isn't anything different.  You will be contacting the same people.

I have a MacBook Pro.
  • SuzWalk
    SuzWalk Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    > @RickO said:
    > Here's the link for current Quicken products: https://www.quicken.com/product-selector
    >
    > Note that the Home and Business edition is Windows only. The Starter edition doesn't do investment accounts, among other things, and becomes read-only if the subscription expires. The only difference between Deluxe and Premier is access to premium support and the inclusion of a certain number of Quicken Bill Pay/Check Pay transactions each month.
    >
    > Also note that Quicken does in fact have an online-only product now, called Simplifi, shown in the first column. Data for that product lives in the cloud. I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for its reliability.
    >
    > If you are considering purchasing a subscription, take a look at online and brick and mortar sellers as they often offer prices lower than buying directly from Quicken. 

If I look into the Simplifi version, will it convert everything I have in Quicken desktop now?
  • RickO
    Sorry, I have no idea. Maybe someone else will chime in here, but there isn't much discussion about Simplifi in this forum. You may want to make a new post with that specific question in the Before You Buy section.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    SuzWalk said:
    If I look into the Simplifi version, will it convert everything I have in Quicken desktop now?
    No, it will not.  It is a completely separate program with the only importing being in CSV format.

SuzWalk said:
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I will also point out that "premium support" consists of a toll-free number and that if and you go to the "front of the line" over a non-premium support customer" that is waiting for support to pick up.  Other than that, there isn't anything different.  You will be contacting the same people.

I have a MacBook Pro.
    What computer you have doesn't matter.  I was talking about the fact that Quicken Mac Premier includes "premium support", and what that entails.  Toll-free number, go to ahead of wait line for Customer support over people that don't have "premium support", but no difference in the people that you talk to.
    Signature:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    No one seems to be pointing out the obvious. Since you are using the 2016 version, you clearly have had no immediate use for any "on-line" based features for at least 4+ years, including downloading data into Quicken. So, if your needs have not changed, the subscription version will not give you much, since it is essentially the same product, unless you are looking for some of the improvements in some of the features.

P.S. at this point, Simplifi cannot import Quicken data.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2022
    smayer97 said:
    So, if your needs have not changed, the subscription version will not give you much, since it is essentially the same product, unless you are looking for some of the improvements in some of the features.
    I would disagree that it is essentially the same product. A great deal has been added to and improved in Quicken Mac from the 2016 version to today. Of course it's the same core program, but I feel it's substantially different than the 2016 version.

For me, Quicken Mac 2016 was lacking in enough areas that I chose not to migrate from my legacy Quicken 2007; over the years as Quicken Mac became more capable, I decided it was good enough for my needs, and I upgraded. I have not regretted it and have not looked back.

Since we all use Quicken differently, I cannot say that the new and improved features will be life-changing for you. If you don't have any limitations or frustrations with the 2016 version, it may be all you need. But I think most Quicken Mac users find useful and significant enhancements in the current program. Just my 2¢…
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:

...Of course it's the same core program, but I feel it's substantially different than the 2016 version.

For me, Quicken Mac 2016 was lacking in enough areas that I chose not to migrate from my legacy Quicken 2007; ...

The fact that it is the same core program was my intended point, in the context of the OP's experience and choice to date.

My conclusion was especially based on the fact that the OP has appeared satisfied enough to use the 2016 version for the past 5+ years, and having not upgraded yet.

• SuzWalk
    SuzWalk Member ✭✭
    > @smayer97 said:
    > No one seems to be pointing out the obvious. Since you are using the 2016 version, you clearly have had no immediate use for any "on-line" based features for at least 4+ years, including downloading data into Quicken. So, if your needs have not changed, the subscription version will not give you much, since it is essentially the same product, unless you are looking for some of the improvements in some of the features.
    >
    > P.S. at this point, Simplifi cannot import Quicken data.

So far I have found no need to have anything more. I use it strictly like a check register as I did when I used paper checks and paper register. So I think at this point, I will not explore anything else. Someone answered my original question concerning getting rid of the pop up. I guess I can't so I'll just keep closing it when I open Quicken. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.