quicken says financial institution connections need an update - but they don't!!!!

I am now getting a message with every one-step-update that says my financial institution connections need an update -- but this is for a closed Schwab account.  There's no way to connect it and therefore there's no way to get rid of this error message!! 

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I am now getting a message with every one-step-update that says my financial institution connections need an update -- but this is for a closed Schwab account.  There's no way to connect it and therefore there's no way to get rid of this error message!! 
    Hello @mikeweberatl

I am sorry to hear about this frustrating error message. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community.

Are you noticing any specific error codes that you notice when this message appears? Also, is this occurring after a One-Step Update? Lastly, has the account been deactivated and deleted in Quicken (be sure to save a backup before doing this)?

Be sure to verify that the account has been closed with Schwab, and that there are no hidden accounts left in Quicken by going to Tools > Account List and checking the box next to Show hidden accounts in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. 

I look forward to your response, and hope to continue working with you on this in the future, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    The message occurs when I try and run a One Step Update.  There are no error codes - this is a new message I have never seen before.  It says "Your financial institution connections need an update", and lists a Schwab account that exists in Quicken but that I no longer use. It then it offers me an option to "reauthorize" the account shown, however as the account no longer exists at Schwab any attempt to "reauthorize" it will always fail.  I am offered the option to "skip now" but there's no way to get the error message to go away, so I see it every time.   The account was closed years ago and it is closed in Quicken so if it's still active for downloads, I don't know how to deactivate it.  The account has not been deleted and I will not delete it since it contains history I want for reports.  
  • mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    Just to add to my last message... the closed account DOES appear to still be configured for download.  How to I deactivate a closed account???
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you please do TOOLS, Account List and tell us what is says in the "Transaction Download" column adjacent to the Schwab account?  Because, it sounds like the account may be closed at Schwab, but was never closed in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    It says "Yes Direct Connect" so looks like it's still configured to download from Schwab.  The account is CLOSED in Quicken, but Quicken allowed me to do that without deactivating online downloads and no there's no way to turn off online services.
  • Quicken Jared
    It says "Yes Direct Connect" so looks like it's still configured to download from Schwab.  The account is CLOSED in Quicken, but Quicken allowed me to do that without deactivating online downloads and no there's no way to turn off online services.
    Hello @mikeweberatl

Thank you for bringing us further information, and for following up with us again. I apologize that the problem remains ongoing.

One option in this case would involve moving all of the data from this old account into a newly made account, and deleting the remaining empty account. If you are going to attempt this, first save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, select all of the transactions in the affected account by clicking on the first transaction, and scrolling down to the last transaction while holding the Shift key, then clicking the last transaction. Right-click the transactions - this last maneuver should have selected all of the transactions in the account - and select Move transaction(s). Click Select All then Move. You may then right-click the old account and select Edit/Delete Account then Delete.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to hearing back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your suggestion, but this account has over 6000 transactions going back 10 years not to mention another 5000+ in a linked checking account.  I think it's very unlikely I am going to get a this move hack to work properly without making a total mess.  

I am confused... it should not have been possible for me to CLOSE this account with online download still activated -- so clearly this is a bug.  Why are you not fixing this bug?  Why don't you modify the REPAIR process to fix this issue when it's found?  Seems like a much better way to deal with it.
  • mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    BTW, I am no longer getting those " "Your financial institution connections need an update" messages.  Guess maybe Quicken made a change so these wouldn't appear.   I do still have the problem of a closed account configured for download.... be nice if the VALIDATE function would be updated to fix this problem.
  • Quicken Jared
    BTW, I am no longer getting those " "Your financial institution connections need an update" messages.  Guess maybe Quicken made a change so these wouldn't appear.   I do still have the problem of a closed account configured for download.... be nice if the VALIDATE function would be updated to fix this problem.
    Hello @mikeweberatl

While I am glad to hear that the error messages have ceased, I am sorry that the issue of closed accounts still downloading remains at large. Thank you for bringing further updates about this situation to us.

I was somewhat unclear, but have you tried to Supervalidate the data file, in addition to the standard validation? If not, save a backup then proceed through the instructions provided below:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing back from you with any information regarding the results of these troubleshooting steps. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mikeweberatl
    mikeweberatl Member ✭✭✭
    I have run Supervalidate - the problem of closed but still connected accounts is not something it fixes.
  • Quicken Jared
    I have run Supervalidate - the problem of closed but still connected accounts is not something it fixes.
    @mikeweberatl,

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

This definitely sounds like unusual program behavior. Where is your current active data file located? You can find the location anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

Additionally, you can try copying the data file. Note that that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID. Also note that it may result in duplicated transactions in some of your accounts.

If you would still like to proceed with copying the data file, you can proceed with this by first saving a backup through File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Next, follow the instructions provided below:
    1. Navigate to File > Copy or Backup File...
    2. Select Create a copy or template
    3. Click Next
    4. Click Save Copy
    5. Select New Copy
    You may then proceed to validate and then supervalidate the newly copied data file.

I look forward to hearing back from you about the results of attempting this, if it is something you choose to pursue.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

This discussion has been closed.