Which Quicken upgrade do I need to support 2 users on 2 computers?

the48inchmule
the48inchmule Member
edited May 2022 in Before you Buy
I currently have Quicken Starter Edition on my Windows machine and it works fine, but my wife wants to be able to use the full functionality on her laptop, but I keep getting conflicting information on whether it's possible or not. Currently, the data file sits on my laptop. I know cloud syncing is too much of a chance to corrupt. Is a subscription the right way to go? will it provide a solution? Thanks in advance.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    See this re: which product to install on BOTH machines.  https://www.quicken.com/product-selector
    AND Note that if your Starter subscription ever expires, your data file becomes read-only.  I'd probably,  unless that URL suggests a higher version, recommend Deluxe.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only need one license for Quicken for the two computers, since you can install it on as many computers as you want, they will just all be registered to the same Quicken Id, so if you use QMobile or QWeb, all the users will have access to all of the data file information against that Quicken Id.
    If you and the wife are going to work on the same data file, you will need to copy it back and forth between the computers.  Quicken has no sync/merge capability, so you will always need to make sure that you always have the latest copy of the data file when you make changes.
    Quicken also does not support keeping it on a shared/network drive, you can use a service like Dropbox to move the file, but do not have Quicken use the file from a Dropbox monitored folder.
    If the wife's use requires a higher edition of Quicken, you can upgrade your existing edition from the Help menu.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Thanks for the quick responses. So when customers install Quicken on multiple computers, is the assumption they are all using different data files, as in managing separate accounts/budgets/etc? We share all the finances in our household and it drives her nuts that the latest data file/budgets are only on my machine. I used a shared data file synced through dropbox a long time ago, but it corrupted at one point because of a file-save conflict (file open on 2 machines simultaneously). My wife is looking to share some of the finance responsibilities (preferably working off one master file), but it just doesn't seem like Quicken makes that possible unless she just sits at my grubby desk and work on my grubby laptop.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the quick responses. So when customers install Quicken on multiple computers, is the assumption they are all using different data files, as in managing separate accounts/budgets/etc? We share all the finances in our household and it drives her nuts that the latest data file/budgets are only on my machine. I used a shared data file synced through dropbox a long time ago, but it corrupted at one point because of a file-save conflict (file open on 2 machines simultaneously). My wife is looking to share some of the finance responsibilities (preferably working off one master file), but it just doesn't seem like Quicken makes that possible unless she just sits at my grubby desk and work on my grubby laptop.
    I suggest you consider maintaining one Quicken file.  We use a remote desktop client to access the Windows desktop where we maintain Quicken.  There are a variety of free implementations available.  If you're Windows and network savvy, I recommend Microsoft's Remote Desktop.  If you want simplicity, I recommend TeamViewer.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't expected that everyone have separate data files, it is just that if you both want to work with the same file, you need to come up with a way to share the use of the file and and both of you not make changes to a copy of the file at the same time.
    Some time ago, @Chris_QPW shared a Windows command file that he uses to copy the file from a network drive to the local harddrive and then run Quicken and copy it back when done.  It has a flag to prevent a second user at the same time.
    Here is the copy that I made of it at the time, it will require some tweaks on your part.
    ==================
    @echo off
    set DATA_FILE=MYDATA.qdf
    set SERVER_DIR=\\WDMyCloud\Quicken
    set TMP_DIR=c:\tmp
    set PROG_FILES_DIR=C:\Program Files (x86)
    set LOCK_FILE=%SERVER_DIR%\Quicken.lock

IF EXIST "%TMP_DIR%" GOTO :SKIP_MKDIR
    mkdir "%TMP_DIR%"
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :NEXT
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO Error creating '%TMP_DIR%' && PAUSE"
    goto :END
    :SKIP_MKDIR

IF NOT EXIST "%LOCK_FILE%" GOTO NOT_LOCKED
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO %SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE% is LOCKED && PAUSE"
    goto :END

:NOT_LOCKED
    echo lock > "%LOCK_FILE%"
    copy "%SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"
    "%PROG_FILES_DIR%\Quicken\qw.exe" "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :TRYCOPY
    del "%LOCK_FILE%"
    GOTO :END

:TRYCOPY
    copy "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%SERVER_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

IF %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 GOTO :NEXT
    start /wait cmd /C "ECHO Error copying Quicken data file (maybe locked). && PAUSE"
    goto :TRYCOPY

:NEXT
    del "%TMP_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"
    del "%LOCK_FILE%"

:END
    ==================

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Is a subscription the right way to go? will it provide a solution?
    The subscription is just how you pay for Quicken.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Really helpful advice. Thank you for the input. I will attempt to code copy and overwrite from our home network drive and probably tweak a couple of permissions to make it happen. Thanks again, all.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHAT is on that network drive?  There have been several posts about not storing your Q data file there.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    WHAT is on that network drive?  There have been several posts about not storing your Q data file there.
    Huh? Which network drive?  

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    One isn't supposed to open the data file from the network drive.  There isn't anything wrong with copying a data file to a network drive to and then back to a local drive on another machine and opening it from there.  That is the whole point of the script that was posted.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    splasher said:
    NotACPA said:
    Huh? Which network drive?  

OP's reply of 4:01PM references "home network drive"

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @NotACPA 
    At 4:07 OP is referring to something they did in the past and it caused problems, so they don't do it now.

I used a shared data file synced through dropbox a long time ago, but it corrupted at one point because of a file-save conflict (file open on 2 machines simultaneously). 

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    at 3:07pm the OP is referencing Dropbox, not a networked drive.  At 4:01pm, a networked drive is explicitly referenced.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    at 3:07pm the OP is referencing Dropbox, not a networked drive.  At 4:01pm, a networked drive is explicitly referenced.
    I suspect @splasher and @NotACPA are in different time zones  :smile:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    …My wife is looking to share some of the finance responsibilities (preferably working off one master file), but it just doesn't seem like Quicken makes that possible unless she just sits at my grubby desk and work on my grubby laptop.
    There is an easy solution to that situation, seems like she has given you permission to buy a brand spanking new laptop with all the bells and whistles.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NotACPA At my 5:01, your 4:01, the OP is referring to the network drive used in the CMD file program that I posted at 4:20/3:20.

• To clarify, I would use the network drive as a place to copy/paste from each of the local drives. Everything I am reading is to not use a network drive as home to the data file that gets accessed by Quicken, so I know not to do that. Thanks for the warning, though.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use it as a location for your Q program either.

This discussion has been closed.