Account merging questions

Options
TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
I have 2 Visa accounts. I had to open the second one because I had to get a new Visa Acct at my CU after someone unauthorized used it for purchases.

My first one (#001) for the sake of simplicity includes transactions (8000 of them) from 2004 to 2019. the second one from 2019 to current. The first one does not show an online balance because it was closed.

What I'd like to do is merge the first one (#001) with the second (#002).
I have utilized Help, Community, Tips and Tutorials, but am not finding a "good source for doing the merging process. I'm reading mostly to just do a copy and paste and that there will be duplicate transfers.

Because there are 8 accounts involved with 8000 transactions, and transfers are going to be the prominent duplicates, I need to approach this with great care. The other issue might be the fact that the 1st (#001) account Is closed in quicken and at my FI, so I do not have an "Online Balance" for it in Quicken. I've come to the point that it is not going to be as simple as just copy and paste. It will need to be done somewhat meticulously.

Is there another source in Quicken that talks about ALL the implications involved. what to watch out for, what order, which accounts first, how many at a time, and just a good guide to help do this. In looking for Help, I found "many" posts on the subject, but most answers seemed simpler than I know it will really be, I learned this in trying it once before. I understand the primary tool will be copy and paste, and the duplicates will be the transactions I made through my FI using transfers for the payment into the accounts.

I have printed out by date all the transactions for account #001, also all transfers into and out of Acc #00. These will assist me in doing the meticulous procedure. I'm trying to decide if I it would be best to do the them an account at a time or by date. How many at a time would be best to do, (I have 16k of mem on my desktop and a fast newer processor). I'm also leaning toward doing the newest transactions first and work back to the latest. or from the oldest to the latest so I can monitor the balance.

I would really appreciate feedback from people who have done this before and their opinions, thoughts, suggestions and ideas that might make it easier and less prone to mistake or the unintended issues.

In my current Visa file I have annotated in "notes" the account balances on the FI closing date for that account, which on the 15th of the month for Visa Accounts, so if a transaction is missed or duplicated it will show up when the next months cycle from the FI on the 15th. This might be an argument to start from the oldest to newest transaction in acct #001. I plan to go through and add the closing balance on the notes column on the 15th on the old acct #001transactions also, to allow for checking for missing or duplicates

Would it behoove me to just go to the accounts that $$ was transferred out of in the 8 accounts for Visa payments, and just deleted them from those accounts up front, and just let the new copy and paste of the transactions go ahead ade repopulate thos missing transactions as I go.

I want this to go right the 1st time. so anny ideas or suggestions would be gratly appreciated. There are so many ways to approach this, and since I've never done anything this large as a change with Quicken, I'm very apprehensive.

I'm aware to have many backups, on different devices in different places, and I have sync turned off, and I use basic Web Connect as my acquiring my transaction from my FI.

Maybe it best to not even attempt. HELP! Suggestions?????

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @TTSguy,

I would suggest that you consider whether the merging of your account #001, really makes sense, and that starts with asking what benefit there might be from merging a closed credit card account, having approximately 8,000 transactions, will do to benefit you going forward.  I understand that it would be "nice" to see all those transactions in one register and perhaps attain some sort of "completeness" feeling, but you already know this will not be an easy task and Quicken's reporting features will not be any better or more robust after you go through this merger than they were before.

Just some food for thought.  Good luck.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: FAQ: How Do I Move Transactions Between Quicken Accounts?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By far the simplest thing to do is continue to use the same Quicken account for the new credit card. Just deactivate the Quicken account, don't close it. Do Add Account and let Quicken find the new account number. LINK that new online account to your existing Quicken account and you're done.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @TTSguy,

I would suggest that you consider whether the merging of your account #001, really makes sense, and that starts with asking what benefit there might be from merging a closed credit card account, having approximately 8,000 transactions, will do to benefit you going forward.  I understand that it would be "nice" to see all those transactions in one register and perhaps attain some sort of "completeness" feeling, but you already know this will not be an easy task and Quicken's reporting features will not be any better or more robust after you go through this merger than they were before.

Just some food for thought.  Good luck.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it would behoove Quicken to come up with a process procedure including the pros and cons on this subject and include it in the "Support" tab.  This has the potential of screwing up an users Register royally if this process is attempted haphazardly. Just my 2 cents worth!
This discussion has been closed.