Wanting to let subscription lapse and use just as checkbook register

I am using Quicken Starter for windows and wish to let my subscription lapse and just use it without all the Web based functions. I'm told by Quicken I can do this, but not sure how to set this up. I have turned the Sync off but still have the notifications that my subscription has expired, and it won't let me use my register files that reside locally. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know who told you that, but they are wrong.  When your subscription lapses with the Starter Edition it goes into read-only mode.  Only Deluxe and above can still be used for manual entry.

And even with Deluxe and above there will be an ad to renew that takes up about 20% of the main window.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Hobart
    Hobart Member
    I was told that by Quicken Sales t when I was purchasing the product. I explained that I didn't need the web-based functions and asked if I let it lapse would I still be able to access by local data file. They told me YES.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, that statement is correct.  You can access the local data file, in read-only mode.  You can generate reports and such and look at the data, but you can't add new data.
    Signature:
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Hobart,

Sorry to hear that you are having these issues.  As a Starter version user, there is a problem if you let your subscription expire.  Your Quicken datafile will effectively be frozen and you will not be able to move forward unless you once again renew your starter subscription.  You could contact Quicken and tell them your story - i.e. that someone told you that you would be able to continue to use the file if your subscription lapses, however I doubt that you'll get traction with that.

So I think your choice is a) to go forward without Quicken or the data you have entered into Quicken, or b) to contact Quicken and have them reinstate your subscription and sign up for Deluxe and then when that subscription expires you'll be able to move forward with your Quicken data intact but without the ability of downloading.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I think there is a c) option.  Purchase the Deluxe edition subscription, and then ask for a refund.  They have a 30-day refund policy.

EDIT: The more I think of this, the only way it would work is if you were sure to block Quicken from connecting to the Quicken servers so that it can't find out that you switched back to the Starter Edition by getting a refund of the Deluxe version.
    Signature:
  • Hobart
    Hobart Member
    That option C sounds like a viable one. Or just go ahead and pay the $36/yr. subscription for the Starter version. At least that way I would get any updates to the software too, even if I didn't use any of the web functions. It just irks me no end when sales type either lie or mislead about their product. I've worked in IT for over 40 years and a reputation is very hard earned but takes so little to lose.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Here is another thought that might appeal to you.  The idea would be to go back to a year version before Quicken went to subscription.  That would mean one of two things.  Either finding a copy of Quicken 2016 or 2017 which can read the Quicken Subscription data file format (earlier ones can't).
    EDIT:  About the only possible place to find these old copies will E-Bay.

The other option is doing an QIF export and import it back into Quicken 2013 which is the last version of Quicken that is completely offline (no Quicken Id), and can be downloaded and run for free from the "Convert from Quicken 2004 to 2009" section in this article.
    Convert Data From an Earlier Version of Quicken (When to Use an Intermediate Version)

The catch here is that the QIF import may not work correctly because of its bad handling of transfers.
    Here is workaround for that.
    ChangeTransfers changes transfers in a QIF file to categories. - QuicknPerlWiz
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.