Is there a way for me to merge securities?

Options
moodybaaz
moodybaaz Member ✭✭
edited April 2022 in Investing (Windows)
On search, I found an answer for Mac; is there a way to do this in Windows?

I had a bunch of entries that I updated to reflect their official name. However, when Quicken downloaded additional transactions, it gave them the old name. Now I have two securities that track the same mutual fund; however, I cannot give them both the same ticker or merge them. Am I destined to keep them separate? :(

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you replace the security used in the fewest transactions with the other security.  Then, you should be able to delete the security replaced and, if appropriate edit the remaining security's name.
  • tfp
    tfp Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I had same issue. Rather than merging, I moved transactions from one security to the other rather easily. Open each transaction and in the drop down list for Security Name, select the one you want to consolidate into. Do this for each until there are no more transactions remaining in the duplicate. Then you can delete the unneeded security.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I suggest you replace the security used in the fewest transactions with the other security.  Then, you should be able to delete the security replaced and, if appropriate edit the remaining security's name.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The other step I suggest is to uncheck the box (Edit Security Details) about the original security being "Matched with online security".  I think that is why "when Quicken downloaded additional transactions, it gave them the old name."  With that box unchecked, next time around, Quicken will ask what Quicken security you want to match to the broker's reported security.     
  • moodybaaz
    moodybaaz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Looks like this is something that Quicken should just go ahead and fix. Anything else is just a workaround :/

I instead just added a transaction to convert my "corrected" securities with what I was downloading from the bank and then let the bank do whatever it was doing. Not the best as I cannot match it to the stock ticker and download quotes directly, but seemed like the least resistance part going forward as well.

I will unfortunately have to track quotes/prices manually though :/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IMO, you approached this wrong at the beginning.  You apparently wanted the name of the security in Quicken to reflect the "official" name.  You could have edited the existing security name in the security details.  Subsequent downloads from the brokerage would have pointed to the same security in Quicken and it new name as defined by you would be used throughout.  By restoring a recent backup, you might still be able to go that direction.

Instead, you (apparently) chose to create a second security which then led to the mis-match issues. 

If you (a) add the ticker to the new security, and (b) uncheck the "Matched" for the original, then you should be able to get to where you can properly download prices and transactions.   

(FWIW:  There is no requirement that the name of a security as used within your Quicken file match any other source.)
  • tfp
    tfp Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I had same issue. Rather than merging, I moved transactions from one security to the other rather easily. Open each transaction and in the drop down list for Security Name, select the one you want to consolidate into. Do this for each until there are no more transactions remaining in the duplicate. Then you can delete the unneeded security.
  • Jason C3
    Jason C3 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    Options
    There is a way to merge them on Quicken for Mac. Would be nice if they added that feature to Windows. 
This discussion has been closed.