My custom reports are showing up with unwanted categories selected, and I can't save and fix them

MrZipp
MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Some of these reports I have been using for many years, but when I noticed the totals weren't correct, I looked at the category list, and found quite a few items checked that were not supposed to be there. When I fix these, the changes don't save.

I've deleted one of two of the reports, but I still can't save the correct categories.

Any help is appreciated

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    It is not clear from your description exactly what you did to try to fix this issue, but often re-creating the report starting with the appropriate built in report from the Reports menu will fix problems like this.

Also when you save the report, give it a slightly different name like adding V2 to the end so when you re-open it you know which version you are using. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do not trust the includes all/any option on tabs of the Customize window of a report.  The feature was added relatively recently and does not reliably determine whether all the items are selected. 

To prevent Quicken from incorrectly defaulting to the all/any option in a Saved report, I suggest unchecking an unhidden item for each tab.
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Thx for commenting. Yes, for a few months now, I've noticed random Categories appearing in my extensive list of reports. These have nothing to do with what I want - like Expense categories in an Income report. If I unselect them, and save, it doesn't save my changes. And I don't know how these come to be checked, as they are not supposed to be.

• MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your comments, guys. I've had a busy week and sorry this update is slow. I continue to have this problem. Numerous Categories continue to be checked on some of  my reports. I have carefully deleted them, even one at a time, and saved the report. When I pull the report back up, the unwanted ones are still there. I can create the reports I want ( I have LOTS of them ), but can't save them or stop these bogus categories from appearing. Wondering if there's some sort of hidden report default file that keeps this info that I might be able to reset or delete? As MWETulsa mentioned, this has been going on for months and is quite annoying. If anyone has a hint about a fix, please share!

P.S. - I've done the repair, as late as yesterday, and no help. Also in Preferences, I've tried both options of Customizing Creates New Reports, and Custom Modifies Existing. No difference in result. I've even renamed the reports, but the problem travels. For some reason, my report preferences just won't always save.

MrZipp
  • Jim_Harman
    When you modify and save the reports, do you check carefully to see what folder the report is saved in and correct it if necessary? The folder often does not default to the same folder the original report was in.
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for you quick comment. I've never created a new folder. The choices are just "Save In my Saved Report" or create new folder. After all of these years, I've never created a new folder - at least on purpose.

Following along your thought, where else could these be? I don't believe any folder is really available to me except the default? Curious here !

MrZipp
  • Jim_Harman
    One thing you can do to test this theory would be to change the title of the report when you save it. Then when you reopen you can tell whether you are looking at the original or the new report.
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Jim, I've done that. I've saved the reports with different names. and even closed Quicken and tried again. But these strange categories still appear. These unwanted categories are coming from some 'saved' version of a report that somehow Quicken must think are really cool! But it is quite annoying to not be able to work around this issue. Thanks SO much for your response.

MrZIpp

• Jim_Harman
    When you reopen the report, does it have the old name or the new name?
  • MrZipp
    MrZipp Member ✭✭✭
    Jim, I just unchecked all of the weird boxes and saved the report at TESTING123.  I then went to my saved folder (only one I have) and pulled up the new name but the unwanted categories still appeared.

I had tried this before, but not with such a unique name.

Same unfortunate results.

MrZipp
This discussion has been closed.