Discover Credit Card Transactions not Downloading

Version: R39.23
Build: 27.1.39.23

Last download was 30 March. A payment to Discover was downloaded but a charge the same day (Transaction and Posting) was not. Maybe coincidence but my Quicken Renewal was 1 April and the renewal cost was charged against Quicken.

I have tried the fix suggested in https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7904805/discover-transaction-connection-issues but without any success.

No error messages at any time; when "Updating Now" or when trying to reestablish the connection using "Online Services" in "Account Details" (reached through menu "Tools / Account List"). Manually entering a missing charge is not detected in Quicken. Reconciliation is accurate as of 30 March.

Comments

• maximus30
    maximus30 Member ✭✭
    I'm in a similar boat. Tried updating my account yesterday and got a CC-601 error. Tried refreshing my credentials but got the same error message. Tried updating my account today and got a CC-800 error. Tried refreshing the Discover account with no success, then deactivated the account with a plan to reactivate it. But Quicken says the account doesn't exist at the Discover Account Center, so reactivating isn't an option.

Your renewal issue is likely coincidence. My renewal is upcoming (30 Apr) but I still have your problem. Interestingly, I noticed Discover changed the layout, fonts, etc. on the webpage for my account information. I wonder if Discover's latest redesign -- why mess with a thing that's working? -- if the culprit.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You should switch to Direct Connect and stop fighting with the unreliable Express Web Connect.
    Deactivate the account for downloading and the do Tools -> Add Account, and type in Discover, select Advanced Options so that you can select Direct Connect.

When you get to the dialog where is shows your online account be sure to link it to your existing Quicken account.

Note you might get some duplicate transactions on this switch over of connection types, but after that this should be a much more reliable way to download your transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rakapaschke
    rakapaschke Member
    Chris_QPW
    THANK YOU ! ! !

Switching from Express Web Connect to Direct Connect worked in that all my "missing" transactions were downloaded. However, I downloaded 2 "garbage" transactions with no amounts and odd character Payee names.

Now I have a problem with reconcilement. The number Quicken has for a Statement Ending Balance matches that from Discover but "Cleared Balance" in Quicken has no relationship with reality.

Unless I find a way out, I'll probably have to DELETE the account completely and start from scratch. Thank heavens it's April and not the end of December. Either that or continue to use a spreadsheet.
  • rakapaschke
    rakapaschke Member
    Of course, there is the option of using a Correcting Entry to balance the account but the OCD perfectionist in me hates that. :-(
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is a known problem with Discover.  It downloads these zero amount transactions which are when say you are at a gas station and put your card in before filling up.  That cause it to send a “is this a valid card” kind of transaction, and that is what is showing up as a zero transaction.

Bottom line is, you should just delete them.

The Cleared Balance is calculated from the reconciled and cleared transactions in the register.
    There are couple of possible reasons why it is wrong now that you switched connection types.
    One is duplicate transactions got downloaded.  The other is that Quicken incorrectly changed the Opening Balance.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.