Quicken Bug - Deactivating and Relinking Account Cause Opening Balance to Change

Tampa
Tampa Member ✭✭
When Deactivating a bank account and then relinking the account Quicken changes the "Reconciled" Opening Balance for the account. This has happened repeatedly (in my case with PayPal) and on multiple bank accounts.

In my case I have Quicken Deluxe for Windows (Windows 10) with the latest Quicken version - R39.23.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Tampa said:
    When Deactivating a bank account and then relinking the account Quicken changes the "Reconciled" Opening Balance for the account. This has happened repeatedly (in my case with PayPal) and on multiple bank accounts.

In my case I have Quicken Deluxe for Windows (Windows 10) with the latest Quicken version - R39.23.
    Hello @Tampa,         

I am sorry to hear about this issue with account balances changing after reactivating accounts. Thank you for seeking assistance here on the Quicken Community in regards to this problem.

What kinds of discrepancies are you noticing in the Opening Balance? What happens when you try to edit the Opening Balance entry in the register? Also, are you noticing any other irregularities in the other transactions within the register?

I look forward to hearing more from you about this, and hope to continue working with you on this in the future.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Tampa
    Tampa Member ✭✭
    The discrepancies is that the Opening Balance changes to some random (?) amount. This just happened again to another bank account I Deactivated and Relinked - Synchrony Bank.

You can edit the opening balance and put it back to the original (correct) amount but why should you have to do this - Quicken should not modify an Opening Balance (especially since it has already been Reconciled).

There appears to be no other changes to transactions in the register for that account/bank.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Tampa said:
    The discrepancies is that the Opening Balance changes to some random (?) amount. This just happened again to another bank account I Deactivated and Relinked - Synchrony Bank.

You can edit the opening balance and put it back to the original (correct) amount but why should you have to do this - Quicken should not modify an Opening Balance (especially since it has already been Reconciled).

There appears to be no other changes to transactions in the register for that account/bank.
    Hello @Tampa,     

I am sorry that this issue remains ongoing. Thank you for continuing to follow up with me about this. 

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen.

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

• Tampa
    Tampa Member ✭✭
    Standard location - C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\Quicken (XXXXX = Username)
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @Tampa,

Thank you for your response. 

First, I suggest restoring from a backup that was created before you attempted disconnecting and reconnecting the Paypal and Synchrony accounts and before your balance became incorrect. You can follow this link here to a Support Article that discusses saving and restoring backups. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position.

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Tampa
    The change in the opening balance is a long time lingering issue and it happens sporadically after an account reset or reactivation and mostly with Express Web Connect connections - happens to me every time.  There are many reports of this issue/bug on this community where the amount of change varies from pennies to $100'sK.  Unfortunately there is no fix to prevent this from happening again, but rather a tip.
    TIP:
    * Using one of your backup files, note the correct opening balances for every account.
    * Then enter that amount in the "memo" field of your opening balance transaction for every account.
    * In the rare event of a future reactivation, review the opening balances by cross checking what you have in the memo field and what it is shown in the balance column, and edit/correct the balance column if needed.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Tampa
    Tampa Member ✭✭
    Thank you @Quicken Jasmine.

I did as you suggested and this did not work. As @BK stated this is long time Quicken bug - I hope that Quicken will fix this soon. :( :(

@BK - Thank you! This is most helpful and I have done your suggestion (good idea!). As a note this happened again (on 4/16/2022) to my Synchrony credit card account.
This discussion has been closed.