Entering a new transaction

Options
cpeters
cpeters Member ✭✭
When I finish entering a new transaction I want a new transaction row automatically added. Why does this feature exist in Windows and NOT for Mac? When will this simple feature be added for Mac?

Best Answer

• cpeters
    cpeters Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you so much for your detailed response and my apologies. I'm a newbie to these forums and thought they were reviewed by the Mac Support.
    Thanks again.

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You can do this; it's just different. Instead of hitting enter/return when you are done with the first transaction entry, you need to hit Command-N. This will save the current transaction and start a new one.

This has been discussed many, many times on the forum. It's not going to change, so it's just something you have to get used to.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • cpeters
    cpeters Member ✭✭
    Options
    What are the reasons? I don't understand why. Please explain the cons. I know the pros... easier for the user.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    We're just fellow users here, not members of the programming team (who don't read or respond to posts on this forum). We have been told by the former Mac product manager that there were technical and practical reasons for the way Quicken Mac handles new transactions versus the legacy Mac program or Quicken Windows. He said the blank lines caused some user confusion resulting in calls to their Support center; I cannot give you any details because I don't think we heard any details. Creating blank lines with the modern database would require a lot of additional coding to omit those blank transactions from reports and filtered registers; again, I don't think we were given a lot of details (or I don't remember as this was many years ago), but the point was that they had looked at it from several different angles and decided this was the best approach.

I think if you adopt the approach RickO advised — using Command-N instead of Return when you want to save one transaction and start another it may seem awkward at first, but as it becomes second nature, you'll likely find it's fine.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • cpeters
    cpeters Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you so much for your detailed response and my apologies. I'm a newbie to these forums and thought they were reviewed by the Mac Support.
    Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.