Why are my reports incomplete. only some of the categories show up for previous years

claradietz
claradietz Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Reports for previous years are incomplete or not even available. Previous saved reports are empty

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To check the obvious, is the data for the previous years still in your account registers?

If you start with one of the built-in reports, Reports > Spending > Itemized Categories for example, and set the date range appropriately, is the report accurate?

What version and edition (starter, Deluxe, etc) of Quicken are you running? Starter has some limitations with reports.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    yes rhe data is in the register. No the built in reports only work for 2021 and the current year. I have the most recent updates for the Deluxe version
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    All past records are missing data. How can I recover them.
  • Jim_Harman
    To clarify, are you saying that some past transactions are missing from your account registers, or is it that the transactions are there but incorrect?

When did you first notice this problem?

Is the problem limited to certain categories or certain payees? 
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    For,1099 categories don't show up for tX summary.
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    All other reports for past years do not show data
  • Jim_Harman
    edited April 2022
    I am still trying to understand your problem.

Please go to the Reports menu and open the Spending > Itemized Categories report.
    Set the date range to Yearly and 2020 (or whatever date range you think is not working)
    Click on Update to show and select Transaction detail.
    Please let us know what you see:
    Is the report completely blank?
    Are some Categories or transactions missing?

If you go to your register for the same date range, is the data present and accurate?

The more detail you can provide, the more likely we will be able to help you.
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    It appears to be ok. Should all income catergories show up? The problem with the Tax summary report is that it doesn't include any of my 1099 income categories.
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    No 1099 categories in the spending report either
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, now we are making progress. All your income Categories should be included in the Itemized Categories report.

Look at your 1099 income transactions. What Category is assigned to them? If a transaction has no Category, it will be included under Uncategorized in the Expense section of the report.

Whatever category you use, go to Tools > Category list and find the Category. Right click on the Category and pick Edit.  Click on the Tax reporting tab and make sure the appropriate tax line item is selected, typically 1099-Misc:Nonemployee Compensation. That selection is what gets the transaction included in the Tax reports.
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    I am using 1099R for Simple Taxable Distribution. It works for 2021 and has worked in the past so why doesn't it work for years before 2021 now.0 I did work in 2020 but not now.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited April 2022
    I am using 1099R for Simple Taxable Distribution. It works for 2021 and has worked in the past so why doesn't it work for years before 2021 now.0 I did work in 2020 but not now.

Are you saying that the report worked for the 2020 tax year or that you worked in 2020?

That tax line item is for a distribution from a tax deferred SIMPLE retirement plan, which is taxed like an IRA. Is that your case?

If this is a transfer from a tax deferred account, please see this FAQ for how these transactions must be set up.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7072150/faq-best-way-to-handle-distributions-from-ira-also-rmd

Perhaps you changed how these transactions were entered in 2021, which is causing the problem.
  • claradietz
    claradietz Member ✭✭
    I am using the same settings for 2020 and years previous that I used for 2021 but only the 2021 reports are accurate. this is so frustrating. I have IRA and other 1099 income and no 1099 income shows up for previous years. I am not a novice to Quicken.
  • Jim_Harman
    I understand that it is frustrating. It would help me to help you if you answered the questions I am asking directly.

When you enter the 1099 income into Quicken, is it a transfer from an IRA or other tax deferred account  that you are tracking in Quicken to a taxable account, or is it entered as a Deposit in the taxable account?

Or maybe your earlier transactions are transfers between tax deferred accounts??

If you read the FAQ that I posted above, you will see that for a transfer of IRA or similar income to be included in the Tax reports, the transfer must go to a taxable account.

You must go to the taxable account and enter the transfer there. If taxes were withheld, transfer the gross amount of the distribution and record the withholding as a split transaction in the taxable account.

Please try that for your 2020 and other missing transactions and see if that makes the transactions show up in your tax reports.

If you would like Quicken to improve the handling of distributions from IRA accounts, please comment and vote on this Idea post
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7864626/improve-handling-of-ira-distributions-qcds-and-roth-conversions
This discussion has been closed.