T Rowe Price "boughtx" transaction doubling account balance

IT happened when d/l T Rowe "NON-TAX CONV" boughtx transaction on March . TRP is using it to convert one stock shares to a different stock. There is no soldx transaction sent with the Bouhgtx. Quicken will not let me create a soldx for the old stock. When I load the boughtx it adds to the balance instead of converting the shares. I have spent 2-3 hours on Quicken help line, but they did not help. I have Windows, Quicken R39-23.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @pointtraveler

Can you provide some additional information - specifically about what you mean and what actually happens when you try to "create a soldx for the old stock"?  The fact that you were able to download the BoughtX transactions and were not provided with the SoldX transactions is odd.  But having Quicken stop you from entering manual SoldX transactions is even more problematic.

Get back to us and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• pointtraveler
    pointtraveler Member ✭✭
    TRP was converting the older stock to a new stock. It provided only one transaction, Boughtx. The Boughtx transaction renamed previous older history in the register with the new stock name but the Holdings window showed both the old and new stock. So that does not seem right. I tried to make my own SOLDX transaction to sell the old stock. The first problem I encountered was that Quicken was looking for a cash account to place the $$ from the sold old stock. This TRP account does not have a cash account. The second problem I encountered was that when I tried to select the old stock, the option in the soldx window would not allow it, and only showed the new stock, The soldx worked if I selected the new stock, however the holdings window, showed both stocks but the new stock was a negative number(It was not quite a one for one conversion). The old stock showed the original amount in the holdings window. When I first downloaded the boughtx transaction I recall seeing a dialogue box asking me if the new stock was replacing the old stock. I do not recall if I answered it yes or no or just "X" out of it. I have restored and downloaded several times trying to make it work. I only saw the dialogue box once.
  • pointtraveler
    pointtraveler Member ✭✭
    Thank you for responding back to me. I never touch any investing transactions. So this situation is new to me. I appreciate any suggestions.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be helpful to know exactly what you mean by:
    TRP was converting the older stock to a new stock. 

That doesn't sound like a sale.  Was it instead an acquisition by another company?  Providing the names of the companies involved will also help. 

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• pointtraveler
    pointtraveler Member ✭✭
    Bob_L
    Thanks for your interest. Both stocks are part of T Rowe Price. Not an acquisition.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are mutual funds?  Was there a class conversion from one fund to another?

• pointtraveler
    pointtraveler Member ✭✭
    yes, there was a class conversion from one fund to another. called a NON-TAX CONVERSION.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

• pointtraveler
    pointtraveler Member ✭✭
    Thank you, Thank you. I changed the account edit screen from single mutual fund =no to a yes. Then I got up the CTR + N, Mutual Fund Conversion screen and entered my conversion. Checked with the TRP account and the Quicken account is now right on. I deleted the boughtx. Backing up today, and will check TRP again tomorrow before adding new work on other accounts. Good catch.
  • pointtraveler
    pointtraveler Member ✭✭
    Sorry correction changed Single mutual fund = yes to a no
This discussion has been closed.