How to show the Investment Amount on Securities Values?

There is only one entry on my investment account - the initial investment amount for one security. Even so, Quicken is showing $200,000 more as Securities Values. It would be nice to have all this money but this is driving me nuts because I cannot trust Quicken calculations. The setup is to show current balance on account bar, which is showing the $200,000 increase. I am almost giving up using Quicken.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The market value of a security is pretty darn easy to calculate - per share value times number of shares - and I can't think of a single instance where Quicken has miscalculated the security value unless I have the wrong per share value or the wrong number of shares.  So, absent some wild program bug or some serious (maybe hidden) data problem I'd expect you'd be seeing the correct value.  Are you literally stating that (correct per share price) times (correct number of shares) doesn't equal the security value shown?  Maybe take a screen shot of what you're looking at?
  • Christianne
    Christianne Member
    Exactly - # of shares X price of 1 share is correct. However Security Value at the same registry entry page says I have $200,000 more than I should have. So, in the registry entry it is showing the right amount at the bottom of page the Security and Market value is wrong and the wrong numbers is published on the left column. I deleted this account and imported it again, there is no hidden stuff that I can see.
  • Tom Young
    Ah... the Securities Value down at the bottom of the transaction list or as shown in the "Account Status" portion of the Holdings window!  (I was thinking of "Market Value.")
    Has this always been this way, right from the initial purchase, or is this something that's shown up some time later?
    I the answer here is that the Security Value was wrong right from the initial entry then maybe the first thing to try here is to create a new test file with only that investment Account in it, an Account NOT attached to any financial institution.  In setting up that Account tell Quicken the opening balance of the Account was only cash, cash in the amount of that initial purchase, and then make that purchase entry manually as of the original purchase date.  As part of the security setup process Quicken will download historical quotes up to "today." If that works OK and the Security Value is properly stated, that points to something wrong in you working file, which might be the initial download (though I can't imagine how that would be the case.)
  • Christianne
    Christianne Member
    I did create a test file. Same issue. For some reason, even with one single line on the account the security value/market value at the bottom is wrong. I can't figure out.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I did create a test file. Same issue. For some reason, even with one single line on the account the security value/market value at the bottom is wrong. I can't figure out.
    Hello @Christianne,

I am sorry to hear that this issue remains ongoing. Thank you for continuing to discuss this matter with us here on the Quicken Community.

Where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by going to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. 

I look forward to hearing your response, and corresponding with you further, if necessary. 

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • Tom Young
    What is the name (and ticker, if available) of the security?  What was the cost of the initial purchase, and what quantity?
This discussion has been closed.