Pentagon Federal CU nor downloading credit card and loans

Kathryn Z
Kathryn Z Member ✭✭
Hello, I was at PenFed yesterday to lodge a complaint about this. Every time I’ve contacted them online about this I’ve gotten 18 year old instructions on how to download and it doesn’t say anything about auto download from Quicken. I can auto or manually download checking and savings but not loans or credit card. Loans have an obscure download that creates a .csv file. Credit card has no download capability at all.

They have changed credit card and loans to what appears to be third party software called Happy House.

The woman I talked to put in a complaint for me.

Please get with PenFed and their software vendor and straighten this out. It is almost not worth having Quicken if I can’t download

Comments

• Tim7500
    Tim7500 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I too contacted PenFed over a month ago about the inability to download credit card transactions manually or through Quicken. The two different people who I contacted also supposedly created a formal complaint. One offered me a $100 credit for the inconvenience. I've yet to see that credit after a month. It is absolutely inconceivable that a bank/credit union does not allow customers to download transactions in this day and age especially when it was available before they went to the [Removed - Disruptive] 3rd party credit card processor in Feb 2022.

As Kathryn Z says above it makes one really consider whether paying for a Quicken subscription is worth it if credit card issuers are going to prohibit transaction downloads. On the reverse side it also makes one really consider whether a continued relationship with PenFed is worth it --- unfortunately disentangling oneself from a financial institution has negative consequences (credit reports!).

Quicken, please exert pressure on the Pentagon Federal Credit Union to restore the credit card transaction downloads.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Tim7500 said:
    Quicken, please exert pressure on the Pentagon Federal Credit Union to restore the credit card transaction downloads.
    I understand your frustration with the situation, but wanted to let you know that your post here won't reach anyone who could act on it. This site is not read by Quicken manager and executives. Also, understand that connectivity issues are run for Quicken by Intuit, so they would need to be the ones to "exert pressure" on the financial institution. And that's just not their modus operandi. I believe your best bet is to continue following up with PenFed; hopefully, if enough PenFed customers bug them about this, it will reach a level at PenFed where they will choose to do something about it. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tim7500
    Tim7500 Member ✭✭
    It is not a connectivity issue so contacting Intuit would be a waste of time. It is a functionality issue pure and simple. It is a function that used to work in Quicken prior to mid Feb 2022. I understand the function requires 2 organizations to work together but the PenFed failure does adversely affect Quicken because it makes one consider why one should pay for a Quicken subscription if I can't manage finances with their tool.

Complaining to PenFed seems to be a waist of time. Based on the many other complaints about this problem in the Quicken Community boards these customers are equally frustrated by PenFed's lack of concern and arrogance. We are hoping Quicken can exert additional pressure on PenFed than just PenFed customers. Quicken has a dog in this fight because PenFed's actions adversely affects Quicken's customer expections for their tool.
  • jacobs
    I'm just telling you how things work; it's obviously your prerogative whether than to invest your time in following up with PenFed.

While I understand your point of view about why Quicken should care, I don't think that's the way they work. Quicken has no leverage to get a financial institution to invest time and money in creating/updating software and deploying/maintaining servers in order to serve the needs of Quicken customers. PenFed customers do have leverage, at least collectively, because PenFed could lose their business.

In any case, as I noted, anyone at Quicken who might deal with relations with financial institutions is not reading posts here on the community forum. I'm not telling you not to post about it here; I was only trying to help you understand that your message here isn't reaching the audience you want it to.
  • Tim7500
    Tim7500 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    So, in essence what you are saying is Quicken does not read these posts despite Quicken sponsoring this "Quicken Community" board? This board then is just a waste of time for anyone to voice issues about the program. It just becomes a place to whine? I find that hard to believe and if true disingenuous on Quicken's part.
  • jacobs
    This site is not Quicken Support; it's billed as a "community forum". Quicken moderators read the posts on this site to keep them organized and to provide answers and help to some of the problems users submit. And there is a section devoted to product ideas, where users can submit feature or enhancement requests and fellow users can add votes and chime in; those ideas, when they gain enough traction, are passed along to the development teams.

I can't say for certain that no executive ever reads a post here, but no executive ever posts any reply here, and I think it's safe to say the posts here aren't read by Quicken senior management. If there's a particularly hot topic, the moderator team has internal channels where they can pass something up the chain. But a post about a financial institution which isn't supporting or working with Quicken will not rise to that level. (Keep in mind that Quicken works with more than 10,000 financial institutions, so there are ones coming and going, broken and fixed, every day.)

This forum is not "just a waste of time for anyone to voice issues about the program." Many issues people are frustrated about are things which they either don't know how to use properly in the program, or don't know how to work around to get the results they're seeking. So fellow users and the moderators can and do help with that. And when there are no solutions because a feature doesn't exist, there are the Idea posts for submitting features for future development. Those do have impact, although the speed can be glacial. There are more than 500 Idea posts for Quicken Mac, so many of them languish for months and years because the developers can only tackle a small portion of them each year. 

So this site can be effective, to varying degrees, for many issues with Quicken. But you want to talk to Quicken management to tell them that they should be putting pressure on one financial institution to support 
    Quicken. And for the reasons I've given above, I'm explaining why this site will not be effective for that.

You've reached a conclusion that complaining to your bank is a "waste of time." I've suggest pursuing that because I've seen instances in the past where financial institutions have changed their support of Quicken due to customer feedback and complaints. If you want to put your time into complaining to Quicken instead, have at it! I'm only trying to help you understand why that is likely a bigger waste of time than approaching it from the PenFed side of the equation. 
  • Tim7500
    Tim7500 Member ✭✭
    The issue is PenFed is simply not responding to the many customer complaints about this issue. Telling me to continue to complain to PenFed is not helpful. The frustration is real. If I (we) can't complain to PenFed and we can't complain to Quicken then how in do we get these two parties to get their act together?
  • jacobs
    If PenFed says they won't support Quicken, then you (and others) continue to complain to them, or you decide to switch banks. If PenFed says they do support Quicken but things aren't working, then you want to complain to Quicken — via Customer Support, where they can pull logs and escalate the issue with their provider, Intuit.

If people are complaining to PenFed, just because they haven't immediately responded doesn't mean they won't. If they had made a policy decision not to support Quicken, then it can take some volume of customer complaints and some time before their management decides whether to switch course. 

Look, I'm not a PenFed customer and I've shared what I know about this issue. I was just trying to help you understand a bit about how Quicken works and to reset your expectations about your post above. I'll bow out now, because I feel I'm frustrating you more by not giving you the answers you want, and I have no more knowledge on this topic. Best wishes.
  • Tim7500
    Tim7500 Member ✭✭
    I still enjoyed the conversation.
  • Ob Streperous
    Ob Streperous Member ✭✭
    A well hidden path to download credit card transactions has now been instituted on the PenFed website.

Go to your "My Accounts" page

Click on carrot opening options for
    "More account info and actions"

Select "Download Transactions"

I used this sequence this morning and it worked fine.
This discussion has been closed.