plain vanilla Options - Puts & Calls

Poilka
Poilka Member
edited April 19 in Investments (Windows)
Looking for a way to get a message to the Quicken developers. Is this the way?

I use Quicken to track investments. There are SO many crazy niche choices in the investing drop downs, but not the most basic of them all - Puts & Calls. I have a 'work around' but I always have to explain to my accountant "this is what what I am doing here'. Why has Quicken not creates a simple Buy/Sell a Put & Buy/Sell a Call in the investment selections. I am sure EVERYONE who is a moderately sophisticated investor would appreciate this upgrade. Thanks!
Tagged:
4 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Poilka,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community with your request.

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow (see below).

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Please, be sure to add your own vote as well.

-Quicken Anja
  • GMGC
    GMGC Member
    The handling of puts and calls is terrible at best. I constantly have to correct Quicken's handling of expired options, especially those that where shorted (i.e. shorting a call or shorting a put). The same applies for when a short option is exercised. The stock is added through a Buy or Sell transaction, but the exercised short option is then removed through an Add Shares or Remove Shares transaction, which totally screws up holdings (holding of an option of zero shares). I regularly have to accept that erroneous transaction and then go correct the poor handling in Quicken by changing it to a Cover Short to actually remove the shares of the expired or exercised option. This is NOT a new concept in trading and Quicken needs to catch up to competitors in how they are handling this properly.