How do I unfollow a discussion?

MSStateDawg
MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
When I comment within a thread I'm then notified of others' contributions. At some point I'm done with the thread and want to unfollow it. I ensure it's not bookmarked but I continue to receive email notifications when users comment within the thread. I don't see any other method of unfollowing a thread. Please, assist. Thanks.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    When I comment within a thread I'm then notified of others' contributions. At some point I'm done with the thread and want to unfollow it. I ensure it's not bookmarked but I continue to receive email notifications when users comment within the thread. I don't see any other method of unfollowing a thread. Please, assist. Thanks.
    Hello @Cris Williams

I am sorry to hear about this problem with unwanted notifications regarding discussion threads. Thank you for asking about this topic and bringing this to our attention.

When you go click on your profile icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, then click on Edit Profile, you should see an option in the right-hand edge of the screen that reads Notification Preferences. There should be a column marked Email in the screen that appears; do you see any checkmarks in the boxes located in this column?

I look forward to hearing your response, and hope to work with you on this further, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Jared  Your reply does not address the issue of the OP. Some of us want to receive emails for new replies to threads we've participated in as a general rule, but be able to opt out of one particular thread. This is especially important when one particular thread that we've previously commented in, and that we no longer care about, goes wild with many many comments from other users, flooding our inboxes with irrelevant emails.

This has been brought up before and no solution offered.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Cris Williams

I am sorry to hear about this problem with unwanted notifications regarding discussion threads. Thank you for asking about this topic and bringing this to our attention.

When you go click on your profile icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen, then click on Edit Profile, you should see an option in the right-hand edge of the screen that reads Notification Preferences. There should be a column marked Email in the screen that appears; do you see any checkmarks in the boxes located in this column?

I look forward to hearing your response, and hope to work with you on this further, if necessary.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
    Yes, they're ALL checked and rightly so. Are you getting ready to tell me to turn off notifications?

Most online communities allow one to follow threads then unfollow them when you're no longer interested. Does this community not have that capability?
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:
    @Quicken Jared  Your reply does not address the issue of the OP. Some of us want to receive emails for new replies to threads we've participated in as a general rule, but be able to opt out of one particular thread. This is especially important when one particular thread that we've previously commented in, and that we no longer care about, goes wild with many many comments from other users, flooding our inboxes with irrelevant emails.

Thank you. I felt like their response was canned/scripted and there was little attention paid to the issue I described.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:

Hello @RickO,  

Alright, it sounds like something related to the suggestion proposed in this discussion thread; thank you for looking into this and discussing the problem with us, because I think I may have misunderstood the nature of what was happening.

@Cris Williams, I do apologize. It was not my intent to dismiss or belittle you in any way. I was concerned that you had changed your notification preferences already and you were still receiving notifications, so I was hoping to document that. I see now that you were hoping for a way to ignore the replies in individual discussions, and still receive notifications regarding others. The thread I linked earlier in this comment should provide some further information about this kind of feature and I hope that answers the question in greater detail.

Thank you both for discussing this with me. 

Best wishes, 

Quicken Jared 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Thanks Jared, the link you provided is the Idea post that we hope gets implemented.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cris Williams said: When I comment within a thread I'm then notified of others' contributions. At some point I'm done with the thread and want to unfollow it.
    NOPE - it's not a Quicken forum thing - but the hosting platform web server software -
    There is no way to UN-follow a thread once you have commented... you are now married to the notifications.
    This has nothing to do with "bookmarks" or any other settings....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:

Hello @RickO,  

Alright, it sounds like something related to the suggestion proposed in this discussion thread; thank you for looking into this and discussing the problem with us, because I think I may have misunderstood the nature of what was happening.

@Cris Williams, I do apologize. It was not my intent to dismiss or belittle you in any way. I was concerned that you had changed your notification preferences already and you were still receiving notifications, so I was hoping to document that. I see now that you were hoping for a way to ignore the replies in individual discussions, and still receive notifications regarding others. The thread I linked earlier in this comment should provide some further information about this kind of feature and I hope that answers the question in greater detail.

Thank you both for discussing this with me. 

Best wishes, 

Quicken Jared 
    Thanks. I added my vote to the suggestion bringing it now to 22 votes.

What is the typical vote count that causes decision-makers to take notice and make changes?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cris Williams  You missed some steps  in the process.
    1. Take Notice
    2. The Vanilla managers decide to take action
    3. Add the issue to the queue
    4. The issue bubbles up to the top
    5. Changes are developed
    6. Changes are tested
    7. Changes are made to Vanilla
    Any number  of change requests fail at that 2nd step.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.