Wells Fargo continuing issues + log files?

Bob.
Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
Been a few days but Wells Fargo Accounts have gone from ol-293's (7's? Sorry do not recall) to ol-301-A's.

Also, latest Quicken 40.13 no longer has any menu link to view log files? Where might this have gone and why no longer? That was useful.

Thanks.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still there, they just moved it:

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Thanks, but actually two totally different functions.

The older listed logs that could be clicked on to view locally. This opens some sort of web page that is broken. Likely for sending files to Quicken support. So, no, but thanks. Want the older one back please :)

And, imho, this should have been noted in the release notes that it changed. And if it did and I missed it, apologies. But I don't think it was.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wells is working again. Been erratic over the weekend. I'm sure it is them and not Quicken, but I know your aggregator can help when it lingers on with issues.

Log file item should be noted. As well as adding these changes to the release notes.

Thx.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct, it doesn't work.  I just found where they had moved it to and didn't check to see if it worked, I assumed that it was only a menu change and not a programming change.
    I will report this to the mods to pass to dev. 

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a response from a mod that it worked for them but would still report it.
    I then tested it on my Win11 PC and it works there, so it might be a Win10 related issue.  It will be curious to hear the final solution.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Odd. Can you post a screen shot of what you see when it works? And why did it not first time you tried? What was different the second time?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It works on a second computer, still fails on my primary computer.  When it works, it looks like it always did.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. Interesting that when broken it appears to be opening a web page and these are local files. I wonder what is different about the computer that IS working for you. And thanks for checking that out.

BTW, I am on Windows 10 with Quicken 40.13.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mod reported she is running Win10 Pro.
    I also tested this in a VM on my primary computer running Win10 Home and it works on it.  The VM has most, but not all of the same software as the native host, so who knows why it is temperamental.
    It presents as a webpage because Quicken evidently designed it to internally create a .html and use that as the interface, not that it is going to an external website, just a local file.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Any idea what that local file is? Perhaps it is missing in my setup?

I DID update to 40.13 from the megapatch if that makes any difference. I did not want to wait until it was offered as I knew it fixed a long standing problem i was having elsewhere.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    It is trying to open http://qw.exe. That just seems wrong, even if they are trying to create an html display of the logs. Seems the qw.exe should be linked to a local file, not a web based executable.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have no file qw.exe on my system. There is a 32 bit process. when Quicken is running.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    This is interesting as well. If I click the quicken.com icon on the icon bar of the "logs" container, it gets this which I am sure (almost sure) is not a valid address:

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bob.
    You have a qw.exe, that is the Quicken executable and it is found here:

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right on the spot for me, @Greg_the_Geek, thanks for the suggestion.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    @Bob.
    You have a qw.exe, that is the Quicken executable and it is found here:

You are correct. Unfortunately Windows 10 Search does not search Program Files and did not find it. A different problem :)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a problem, just a setting.  It is a hidden file, you need to change a windows setting.  Type hidden in the search box next to the Start button to find that setting.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    Not a problem, just a setting.  It is a hidden file, you need to change a windows setting.  Type hidden in the search box next to the Start button to find that setting.

That's not it. I HAVE hidden files showing. It is search that is not indexing Windows directories such as Program Files. And I just do not remember that when I look for things.

I can change that. Need to decide if I want to.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try using "File Explorer" instead. 
    That's how I found the problematic Cache folder.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @Bob.

Part of the fix for the embedded browser problem in R38.30 involved quitting Quicken and renaming or deleting the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Cache folder, then restarting.

[edited] If accessing the log files from the new menu location does not work, perhaps this still needs to be done. A clean Cache folder is created if it is missing at startup.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭

It is indeed. Thanks. Going to remove my cache and see if it works then.

And it did, thanks!

Surprised that installing 40.13 did not correct this. And I would not have found this spolution and I am on this site EVERY day.

Appreciate the help.
    @Bob.

Part of the fix for the embedded browser problem in R38.30 involved quitting Quicken and renaming or deleting the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Cache folder, then restarting.

[edited] If accessing the log files from the new menu location does not work, perhaps this still needs to be done. A clean Cache folder is created if it is missing at startup.

As I mentioned, totally fixed the problem/ I was surprised I was neither alerted nor heard about this issue prior to today. But thanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    As I mentioned, totally fixed the problem/ I was surprised I was neither alerted nor heard about this issue prior to today. But thanks.
    I'm glad to hear the problem is solved.

Quicken is not big on alerting users to problems; I think they mainly rely on users contacting Support if they have issues. It would be interesting to know how Support would handle this. Presumably a complete uninstall and reinstall would also have fixed it.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bob. said:
    I'm glad to hear the problem is solved.

Quicken is not big on alerting users to problems; I think they mainly rely on users contacting Support if they have issues. It would be interesting to know how Support would handle this. Presumably a complete uninstall and reinstall would also have fixed it.
    Actually uninstalling and reinstalling wouldn’t fix it as noted in a few threads when this came up because the folder needs to be deleted and an uninstall doesn’t do it.  Now the “full QCleanUI” procedure would have because the folder would be deleted, but in their recent infinite wisdom they have removed that article because of the claim that the functionality is already in the install (which it isn’t).
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7912437/anyone-knows-what-happened-to-the-qcleanui-link
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.