Bonus Paycheck and Employer Match

Options
tamboril
tamboril Member
edited May 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I remember from last year that I cannot enter an unscheduled paycheck, which my annual bonus paycheck is. So I enter it as a regular transaction and enter all the splits. The problem is that the employer contribution cannot be entered as a split.

So I go to my 401(k) account and try to enter the employer match amount as an Xin. But it won't let me do this without a Transfer Account. I am not transferring the employer match _from_ any account. How do I get it into my 401(k) account just as if I'd entered an unscheduled Paycheck?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    The employer contribution may be entered in the split transaction.  To view how Quicken does it, I suggest you examine a regular paycheck as a split: select a paycheck transaction and press Ctrl+  Shift + S

Another approach is to copy and paste a paycheck transaction.  Before editing the pasted transaction, correct the date and save the transaction. 
  • tamboril
    tamboril Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Wow. I thought I had been doing that first part by clicking on the checkmark to show the split, but it would just jump to the Paycheck popup. But Ctrl+Shift+s revealed the magic: there are two entries: a negative amount categorized as a transfer to my 401(k) account, and a positive amount with a "magic" category of "_401EmployerContrib" and Memo of "Employer Match Transfer".

Thanks. That was a great suggestion.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    The employer contribution may be entered in the split transaction.  To view how Quicken does it, I suggest you examine a regular paycheck as a split: select a paycheck transaction and press Ctrl+  Shift + S

Another approach is to copy and paste a paycheck transaction.  Before editing the pasted transaction, correct the date and save the transaction. 
  • tamboril
    tamboril Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Wow. I thought I had been doing that first part by clicking on the checkmark to show the split, but it would just jump to the Paycheck popup. But Ctrl+Shift+s revealed the magic: there are two entries: a negative amount categorized as a transfer to my 401(k) account, and a positive amount with a "magic" category of "_401EmployerContrib" and Memo of "Employer Match Transfer".

Thanks. That was a great suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.