US Bank and Quicken Interface

SoniaXXX
SoniaXXX Member ✭✭
Hi All, I can't download my US bank information. It keeps asking me for my mobile phone number. The problem is that I live abroad and have a foreign phone which US Bank does not accept. I've never had a problem downloading before. Can someone shed some light on this?

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @SoniaXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the message you described receiving where Quicken is asking for your phone number? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

Looking forward to hearing your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• SoniaXXX
    SoniaXXX Member ✭✭
    I am happy to send it.
  • SoniaXXX
    SoniaXXX Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to do this
  • SoniaXXX
    SoniaXXX Member ✭✭
    I'm trying to do this
  • SoniaXXX
    SoniaXXX Member ✭✭
    Here it is.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SoniaXXX - What do you see when you click on the drop-down (the downward pointed triangle on the right side of the data field)?  Does it give you the option to have the 2FA code sent to you by email instead of by text?  If so, then try that.  If it does not, then you might want to log into your online US Bank account to confirm that you have it set up to allow US Bank to use your email for this type of thing. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Hello @SoniaXXX,

Quicken is designed to be used in the US/Canada and while users may experience issues if they use Quicken outside of the U.S, it is not impossible.

You might need to try a different 2FA route as suggested by @Boatnmaniac or contact US Bank. Keep in mind that it is recommended to request to speak to a Tier 2 representative or a supervisor as they are usually more aware and up to date on third-party applications such as Quicken. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SoniaXXX I just took a look at FIDIR.txt, where Q's connectivity to various banks/etc is stored ... and "U.S Bank Internet Banking" seems to allow "Web Connect", where you initiate the download from USB's website yourself and then importing into Q.
    That's not as convenient as starting the download from within Q  ... but see if that works for you.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• SoniaXXX
    SoniaXXX Member ✭✭
    Hi,

i just tried downloading today and QUICKEN asks me one of my security questions. When I answered it, it downloaded the information. What doesn't work is that if you're abroad, you can't enter an out-of-country phone number. The security questions seem to resolve the issue.
  • Boatnmaniac
    SoniaXXX said:
    Hi,

i just tried downloading today and QUICKEN asks me one of my security questions. When I answered it, it downloaded the information. What doesn't work is that if you're abroad, you can't enter an out-of-country phone number. The security questions seem to resolve the issue.
    Ah, yes, personal security questions are another way that Financial Institutions (FIs) can use for 2FA prompts and authorization.  I have one bank that asks me to answer a personal security question, too.  The key to determining which method the FI will use is make sure your security profile in your online account is set up to prompt you with the correct method...phone, email and/or security questions.  I'm glad that you got that figured out and it is working for you know.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SoniaXXX try using the phone number of your country's embassy in DC.  Or the phone of a friend/relative in the US or Canada.
    It never gets called, but this gets you past the road block.

• Boatnmaniac
    NotACPA said:
    @SoniaXXX try using the phone number of your country's embassy in DC.  Or the phone of a friend/relative in the US or Canada.
    It never gets called, but this gets you past the road block.
    It has been my experience that the phone number that is used for 2FA is the phone number that the FI will text or call the 2FA code to.  That code needs to be entered into Quicken before the OSU update process will compete.  That's what happened to me recently when USB prompted me for a 2FA code during OSU....texted the 2FA code to my cell phone number.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac And what if someone inputs a landline, perhaps because they don't have a cell.
    Are they just SOL?

• SoniaXXX
    SoniaXXX Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Good point. US Bank needs to work on this since I suspect it's coming from their side. I have had no problem updating my Chase accounts.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2022
    NotACPA said:
    @Boatnmaniac And what if someone inputs a landline, perhaps because they don't have a cell.
    Are they just SOL?
    It depends how they have it set up in their online account.  Usually one can select their notification security settings to either text, call or email.  For people who enter their landline or do not have a cell phone they can usually select "call" or "do not text".  Or, like I have sometimes done, select "email" or use a predefined security phrase.
    This is not unique to USB.  It is common for most FIs today that have a 2nd layer of authentication requirement.  Most of them will have multiple security setting fields that can be filled in and instructions can be provided there for which method the FI is supposed to use and when and how:  Home phone (call), cell phone (call and/or text), email and/or use predefined security phrases. I've learned to carefully look at my security settings in my online accounts and make sure that everything is set up correctly for how I want it.
    I depend on notifications from FIs for everything from large purchases, gas station purchases, foreign purchases, unattended purchases, online purchases, login from unrecognized IPs and locations, etc.  Does it lead to a lot of texts and emails?  It can.  It depends on how you use credit/debit cards and where you make purchases.  I usually get 6-12 texts and emails a day.  A bit of a nuisance but when fraudulent activity does occur I can react to it almost immediately to address it and stop any additional fraudulent activity from occurring.

• Boatnmaniac
    SoniaXXX said:
    @Boatnmaniac Good point. US Bank needs to work on this since I suspect it's coming from their side. I have had no problem updating my Chase accounts.
    Every bank, credit card and investment company has their own security protocols.  USB is not all that different from most of the other big ones.  I usually do not get 2FA requests from the ones I work with unless it is a new Quicken account or I have reset or deactivated/reactivated the account.  I also get the 2FA prompts when I am traveling or when I use a VPN that masks my location or IP.  Also, Windows and browser software updates can also trigger this.  These things can cause the financial institution to not recognize the device the OSU update request is coming from.  That can then cause them to request further evidence that you really are the account holder and not someone who is trying to fraudulently access your accounts.  Once the 2FA is completed, I do not usually get another request for it unless one of the changes listed earlier has occurred again.
    As mentioned earlier, check your notification security settings at USB to make sure that USB will use a method that works for you.

This discussion has been closed.