Canadian using Quicken online on PC

WebbyWendy
WebbyWendy Member
I was just told by "chat" support that its a known issue that TD Bank will always sync in US dollars on my PC Quicken and they cannot help with the issue. I've been using Quicken online for over a year now on my mac - never had a problem. Been syncing the account on my iPad, cell phone and PC using the app - husband's PC and cell phone as well - never an issue. So now that I've moved the main account to my PC off my Mac, its an issue and Quicken won't help me with it. something sounds really wrong here.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Windows and Mac versions of Quicken are different in the way they handle the Canadian/US “divide”.

Long ago Quicken Window split branched off the Canadian version and it is a separate product than the US version.  As such, Quicken Windows US almost entirely only supports US financial institutions and the Canadian version only supporting Canadian financial institutions.  The other areas affected by this are multiple currency support and Quicken Mobile/Web.

Of all the products, Quicken Windows Canadian has the most multiple currency support.  Quicken Windows US is next in line, and Quicken Mac has the least.

This might seem backwards from what you have experienced with sync to Mobile/Web, but it is directly connected.
    The “Quicken cloud dataset”, which is Mobile/Web is the “GUI” for has never had support for more than one currency.  This is impart due to the fact that they built it on top of using Express Web Connect/Quicken Connect (Window/Mac terms for the connection type to the financial institution).

So, In the case of Quicken Windows where it has real currency support it will not sync to a “foreign currency”.  As in Quicken Windows US will only sync accounts that are in USD.  And Quicken Windows Canadian will only sync accounts that are in CAD.  So, it very much matters if you have a US or a Canadian license (yes they are different).

In the case of Quicken Mac first off there isn’t this separation, there is one program with just defaulting some settings for the different countries.  Which also it taking to allowing downloading of transactions from both US and Canadian financial institutions.

But Quicken Mac’s support for multiple currencies is not “full/real”, as in at least as far as I have heard is nothing more than changing the currency sign.  As such, when it syncs to the Quicken cloud dataset, it is just sending “numbers” and disregards the currency.  So, yes Quicken Mac syncs to the Quicken Mobile/Web from any account no matter what the currency is, but if they are in fact in multiple currencies, the totals and such will probably be wrong.

Not being a Mac user I might not know the current state 100% correctly, but this is certainly how all of this came about.

@jacobs I know that you don’t use Mobile/Web, but maybe you can add to this from the Mac perspective or flag someone that would be using Quicken Mac and Mobile/Web that might know more.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I looked up the idea thread of multiple currency support on Mobile/Web and see that it is @smayer97 that I should have really flagged for knowing about this.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7803575/add-true-multi-currency-support-in-quicken-for-web-11-legacy-votes
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.