Over 2 weeks since PNC downloaded, need a fix NOW

What is going on? Recently it seems Quicken has become less and less reliable. Just looking down through the recent posts and comments from today, its not just PNC, but Wells Fargo, AIG, Schwab, Discover, PayPal, Morgan Stanley and several other financial institutions. i am a legacy Quicken user and it's never been this bad. When can we expect a PNC fix - I need my data.

version R53.26 Build 27.1.53.26. I'm running Classic Premier on Windows 10

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Note: PNC Bank - Direct Connect supports the Direct Connect connection method for free but you do need to request access from PNC:  sign in to the PNC's Online Banking web site and follow the instruction they provide on their Quicken Enrollment form.  (A path to the form is to select the My Accounts tab and More at the bottom of Account Services.  The form is toward the bottom of the Manage Accounts region.)

After PNC provides the Direct Connect User ID and password, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with PNC Bank and clear the financial name on the General tab.  After you have you deactivated the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with PNC Bank and clear the financial name on the General tab, select Tools > Add Account...PNC Bank - Direct ConnectAdvanced Options, and choose Direct Connect, and select Next.  After you have authenticated, Quicken should provide the list of the accounts it obtained and allow you to link them to the appropriate existing registers. 

Note:  When we change connection methods, Quicken may initially import duplicate transactions which we may delete.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonnie217 said:
    What is going on?
    Good question.  What IS going on?  You've provided no error codes or error messages, so we can't even begin to diagnose your issue with PNC. 
    And what download method are you using from PNC into Q?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Note: PNC Bank - Direct Connect supports the Direct Connect connection method for free but you do need to request access from PNC:  sign in to the PNC's Online Banking web site and follow the instruction they provide on their Quicken Enrollment form.  (A path to the form is to select the My Accounts tab and More at the bottom of Account Services.  The form is toward the bottom of the Manage Accounts region.)

After PNC provides the Direct Connect User ID and password, I suggest you deactivate the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with PNC Bank and clear the financial name on the General tab.  After you have you deactivated the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with PNC Bank and clear the financial name on the General tab, select Tools > Add Account...PNC Bank - Direct ConnectAdvanced Options, and choose Direct Connect, and select Next.  After you have authenticated, Quicken should provide the list of the accounts it obtained and allow you to link them to the appropriate existing registers. 

Note:  When we change connection methods, Quicken may initially import duplicate transactions which we may delete.

• Bonnie217
    Bonnie217 Member ✭✭
    I didn't leave details, because this page says it's a known issue and has been for weeks.

But here you go:

I use web connect for 1 checking and 2 savings accounts

I am hesitant to switch connection methods because the last time I did that (last year) I lost a lot of 2012-2013 transactions and had to adjust balances. I spent days reconciling and still do not the ability to get good reporting from that time period.

I've had no error codes these past 2 weeks, unlike the last time I had issues in January (again spent many hours on line with support and users here fixing data) , but just no downloads.

The system just seems so much less stable than it used to be, but I have 20 years+ of history, so I've been reluctant to switch to another product.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bonnie217 said:
    I didn't leave details, because this page says it's a known issue and has been for weeks.

But here you go:

I use web connect for 1 checking and 2 savings accounts

I am hesitant to switch connection methods because the last time I did that (last year) I lost a lot of 2012-2013 transactions and had to adjust balances. I spent days reconciling and still do not the ability to get good reporting from that time period.

I've had no error codes these past 2 weeks, unlike the last time I had issues in January (again spent many hours on line with support and users here fixing data) , but just no downloads.

The system just seems so much less stable than it used to be, but I have 20 years+ of history, so I've been reluctant to switch to another product.
    Are you sure you're using Web Connect: open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, and select the Online Services tab.

I cannot explain why you would lose any data when switching connection methods but if you're not willing to switch to a more reliable connection method that is you choice.  
  • Bonnie217
    Bonnie217 Member ✭✭
    So I took your advice and switched to Direct Connect (PNC had previously sent me the PIN). The transactions downloaded (lots of dups, that I deleted). Fingers crossed it still works tomorrow.

• Larry W.
    Larry W. Member ✭✭
    Attempting to switch to Direct Connect. No luck.
    Maybe this is my problem... Where is the "General Tab"?
    Also, when attempting to connect it keeps asking me to change the 4 character code for the bank.

VERY frustrating and time wasting.
    Quicken, you can do better!

Version R39.23
    Windows 10 Home
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Larry W.   Why no luck?  What exactly happened? Any error codes or messages?
    And the General tab is accessed via TOOLS, Account List and then clicking EDIT adjacent to EVERY PNC account.

• soccerchamp42
    soccerchamp42 Member ✭✭
    I'm also checking daily, waiting for the CC-501 error to be fixed. Direct Connect is not an option with all PNC accounts, for example their credit card, so I cannot switch to that method. Please get this fixed, Quicken!
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    Any news on fixing Web Connect? I can use Direct Connect for checking account, but CDs ONLY work with Web Connect. 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Don Await PNC is SOLELY responsible for the content of a "Web Connect" file, so what problem are you having with a WC download?

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    @NotACPA [Removed - Speculation] I am a user where the software does not work. Look at what Quicken says, they disagree with you. Do you see where it says "Do not contact PNC Bank - the cannot fix this problem"? Do you know what that means? [Removed - Disruptive]

• Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @NotACPA did you read the alert, that says, "We are seeing an increase in OL-297-A errors for PNC Bank - Direct Connect & CC-501/101 errors for PNC Bank - Web Connect" ? Do you know what that means? 
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Don Awalt said:
    @NotACPA [Removed - Speculation] I am a user where the software does not work. Look at what Quicken says, they disagree with you. Do you see where it says "Do not contact PNC Bank - the cannot fix this problem"? Do you know what that means? [Removed - Disruptive]

You are not attempting to using the Web Connect connection method.  You are attempting to use the Express Web Connect connection method.   If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

As I explained earlier, Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.
  • Larry W.
    Larry W. Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @"Larry W."   Why no luck?  What exactly happened? Any error codes or messages?And the General tab is accessed via TOOLS, Account List and then clicking EDIT adjacent to EVERY PNC account.

Getting this message:
  • Larry W.
    Larry W. Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @Larry W.   Why no luck?  What exactly happened? Any error codes or messages?And the General tab is accessed via TOOLS, Account List and then clicking EDIT adjacent to EVERY PNC account.

Please see my post above. The comments say not to contact PNC and it is a Quicken server problem.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock express web is an advanced option of direct connect. I picked PNC- Web Connect as my connection method. I know the difference. This is Windows not Mac. Note the image above also says Web Connect.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Larry W. said:
    Attempting to switch to Direct Connect. No luck.
    Maybe this is my problem... Where is the "General Tab"?
    Also, when attempting to connect it keeps asking me to change the 4 character code for the bank.

VERY frustrating and time wasting.
    Quicken, you can do better!

Version R39.23
    Windows 10 Home
    Larry W. said:
    > @NotACPA said:
    > @Larry W.   Why no luck?  What exactly happened? Any error codes or messages?And the General tab is accessed via TOOLS, Account List and then clicking EDIT adjacent to EVERY PNC account.

Getting this message:
    Larry W. said:
    > @NotACPA said:

Please see my post above. The comments say not to contact PNC and it is a Quicken server problem.
    The message you provided indicates you are attempting to set up the unreliable Express Web Connect connection method.  If you have received the Direct Connect User ID and password from PNC Bank, you should be able to switch to the Direct Connect connection method.  

To deactivate the Online Services of an account register, open the account register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab on the Edit Account Details window, and select Deactivate.  After you have deactivated the Online Services, you should be able to select the General tab on the 
    Edit Account Details window and clear the name of the financial institution.

After you have you deactivated the Online Services of all of the accounts associated with PNC Bank and clear the financial name on the General tab, follow the directions I provided earlier to switch to PNC Bank - Direct Connect and the Direct Connect connection method.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Don Awalt said:
    @Sherlock express web is an advanced option of direct connect. I picked PNC- Web Connect as my connection method. I know the difference. This is Windows not Mac. Note the image above also says Web Connect.
    You are mistaken.   PNC Bank - Web Connect is a financial institution name.  PNC Bank - Web Connect supports the Express Web Connect and the Web Connect connection method.  You are attempting to set up the Express Web Connect connection method.
  • Don Awalt
    Don Awalt Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Sherlock you don’t understand how Pnc works. I gave a checking account that does use Direct Connect. That requires a SSN and Pin to connect. But it only connects to savings and checking, not CDs. All of them worked with Web Connect for years. I am NOT using express web connect. So I must use web connect for CDs. If you look above, my Cd was deactivated, I know how to do that. But it will not connect via web connect, it gets the 501 error that Quicken says us their fault. Please don’t suggest manual download, this has worked gor years and now it does not. Quicken needs to fix this, I am not the only affected user.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Don Awalt said:
    @Sherlock you don’t understand how Pnc works. I gave a checking account that does use Direct Connect. That requires a SSN and Pin to connect. But it only connects to savings and checking, not CDs. All of them worked with Web Connect for years. I am NOT using express web connect. So I must use web connect for CDs. If you look above, my Cd was deactivated, I know how to do that. But it will not connect via web connect, it gets the 501 error that Quicken says us their fault. Please don’t suggest manual download, this has worked gor years and now it does not. Quicken needs to fix this, I am not the only affected user.
    If you use the Web Connect connection method, you sign in to the financial institution's web site using web browser, download the available transactions for an account, and import the QFX file into Quicken.  This is explained in: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

The CC-501 error is only ever returned when we attempt to use the Express Web Connect connection method.

Again, Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don Awalt said:

Hi @""Don Awalt" ,

Quicken does not / or no longer downloads Web Connect files. Web Connect is a manually downloaded file from PNC Bank after you log into PNC Bank using your Web Browser, only. Then importing the files into Quicken. This is the only way, Web Connect works,

And you can't add Web Connect Transactions into an existing Direct Connect Register from PNC Bank. I tried this and it doesn't work.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• soccerchamp42
    soccerchamp42 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2022
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you use the Web Connect connection method, you sign in to the financial institution's web site using web browser, download the available transactions for an account, and import the QFX file into Quicken.  This is explained in: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    >
    > The CC-501 error is only ever returned when we attempt to use the Express Web Connect connection method.
    >
    > Again, Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.

Can you provide a source for any official Quicken documentation or marketing that states Express Web Connect is intended to be an unreliable connection method? Nobody should need to "accept" a bug.

A bug in software is something that should be addressed by the creators, not accepted by the end user. Especially a bug as significant as this issue. It's very odd how you continually address the issue as one that should either be accepted or not accepted by the user, as opposed to an issue that the company needs to address.

While I'm sure everyone appreciates your suggestions, perhaps you could stop wording your messages in a way that makes it sound like the software is functioning as it should.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > If you use the Web Connect connection method, you sign in to the financial institution's web site using web browser, download the available transactions for an account, and import the QFX file into Quicken.  This is explained in: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    >
    > The CC-501 error is only ever returned when we attempt to use the Express Web Connect connection method.
    >
    > Again, Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.

Can you provide a source for any official Quicken documentation or marketing that states Express Web Connect is intended to be an unreliable connection method? Nobody should need to "accept" a bug.

A bug in software is something that should be addressed by the creators, not accepted by the end user. Especially a bug as significant as this issue. It's very odd how you continually address the issue as one that should either be accepted or not accepted by the user, as opposed to an issue that the company needs to address.

While I'm sure everyone appreciates your suggestions, perhaps you could stop wording your messages in a way that makes it sound like the software is functioning as it should.
    I know of no official Quicken documentation or marketing that states Express Web Connect is intended to be an unreliable connection method nor would I expect there to be.  But, as designed and implemented, the Express Web Connect connection method is unreliable.  The issue is not a bug in Quicken software.  Quicken appears to reliably pulls the data from Intuit's servers when it is available.

The primary issue is Intuit is attempting to aggregate user account data from over 15,000 financial institutions without a standard interface to the financial institutions.  
    This model is inherently unreliable.  A change at a financial institution's web site may break the scripts used by Intuit to collect data and format it appropriately.  Intuit has limited resources available and each issue takes time to diagnose and repair.  By comparison, the Direct Connect and Web Connect connection methods rely on the financial institutions to implement to a standard interface.  When there is an issue with Direct Connect and Web Connect, we contact the financial institution.  When there is an issue with the Express Web Connect connection method, we contact Quicken support and they escalate the issue to Intuit's Express Web Connect scripting team.

In this particular case, PNC Bank supports all three connection methods for free.   If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of the Express Web Connect connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method instead.
This discussion has been closed.