Remove a security from Portfolio Value report

williambog
williambog Member
edited May 2022 in Reports (Windows)
I have a security/stock U.S Geothermal INC that got acquired by Ormat Technologies in January 2018 all was good. them in December it issued a dividend. When I do a Portfolio Value report the security/stock shows up with zero shares. Holdings for that account does not list the security/stock. How do I remove it from the report. I don't want to have to deselect it from the securities menu because non of my sold positions have to be deselected

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not exactly following along with you here, particularly that last sentence.
    The Portfolio Balance report is a statement of your current security holdings.  Apparently you no longer own U.S. Geothermal, and the Portfolio Balance report is in agreement with that: it shows 0 shares of U.S. Geothermal.  The Portfolio Balance report can be customized to include/exclude specific securities, why wouldn't you simply customize the report itself to exclude U.S. Geothermal?  All your recorded history with that stock will still be in your file.
  • williambog
    williambog Member
    It drops all securities that I sold but for this security, I have to customize the report. Is this new that for every security that I now sell I'll have to customize the report to remove those securities
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can really say here that, with Quicken, things don't always work exactly the way they're supposed to.  For example, if you buy a new security you'd expect it to show up in "Portfolio View" the next time you use Portfolio View, but it's not uncommon for users to complain that the new security isn't showing up, and the answer is to customize the View to ensure that the new security has been selected to appear. 
    I'm not aware of any change to the Portfolio Balance report, (which is not to say that there hasn't been a change).
    You can try copying and validating the file, with "Rebuild Investing lots" selected, as outlined in the "Third, Copy your file and Validate" section of this help page
    and see if that fixes things.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    One possibility is that US Geothermal is appearing in your Portfolio Value report because due to rounding issues Quicken thinks you still have some tiny residual holding.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Reports only and at the bottom set the decimal places to 6.

Is the report now showing some tiny fraction of a share?

Was the dividend in December after your final sale reinvested? That would account for a small number of shares. 

If it was not a reinvestment, go to the final sale for the security and check the Sell all shares box. That should remove any fractional shares.

Please post back and let us know what you find.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also try setting that last sale of the stock to a "Sell All". That should get rid of any tiny share.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    NotACPA said:
    You can also try setting that last sale of the stock to a "Sell All". That should get rid of any tiny share.
    Isn't that exactly what I said?

If it was not a reinvestment, go to the final sale for the security and check the Sell all shares box. That should remove any fractional shares.

Please post back and let us know what you find.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman OOPS, Sorry.  I just missed that.

• williambog
    williambog Member
    that was it showed .000007. I already tried the sell all it did not work
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was it showed .000007. I already tried the sell all it did not work
    Why not?  What happened?
    And you might try inputting a Sell All for $0 to see if that helps

• Jim_Harman
    Were you able to sell the .000007 shares by specifying that quantity?

Or was it -.000007 shares? I think if you have a short position the sell all does not work.
This discussion has been closed.