Can't update Quicken - TrendMicro A/V - ..\bagent.exe\ is being used by another process

Options
It starts installing the update but then says: The update failed to install. Then there is a box and in the box it says: The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w5914\base\bagent.exe' because it is being used by another process.

Can anyone help?

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you haven't already, I suggest you disable your real-time virus protection when you attempt to update Quicken.

To recover from the update error, you should perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  Normally, I would provide the support page on the topic but Quicken Support decided recently to archive the page.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I can think of two reasons for this error but there may be others:
    * Your antivirus program is blocking some part of the update.  At which case, you should temporarily disable your antivirus and try the installation again.  Or update using the latest Mondo patch.
    * User name on your PC contains a blank space (e.g. C:\Users\John Smith\Documents). The blank space may cause issues with some programs.  If so,I suggest that you get rid of the blank space or use underscore.  e.g. John_Smith or JohnSmith
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you haven't already, I suggest you disable your real-time virus protection when you attempt to update Quicken.

To recover from the update error, you should perform a clean uninstall, install and update.  Normally, I would provide the support page on the topic but Quicken Support decided recently to archive the page.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I can think of two reasons for this error but there may be others:
    * Your antivirus program is blocking some part of the update.  At which case, you should temporarily disable your antivirus and try the installation again.  Or update using the latest Mondo patch.
    * User name on your PC contains a blank space (e.g. C:\Users\John Smith\Documents). The blank space may cause issues with some programs.  If so,I suggest that you get rid of the blank space or use underscore.  e.g. John_Smith or JohnSmith
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• NanaTurley9
    NanaTurley9 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will try shutting down TrendMicro, my antivirus program, and then doing it. If that doesn't work I will try the patch. I appreciate the help.
  • NanaTurley9
    NanaTurley9 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Once I shut off my anti-virus, it installed great! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.