How do I get Quicken to enter bank login after it seems to have forgot it?

In Quicken Premier, when I press One Step Update, instead of opening update window, logging into my bank, and downloading my bank acccounts information to current date, it opens "One Step Update Settings" window. Within it is "Download transactions and balances" with "Fill Passwords" next to it.

When I left click on the "Fill Passwords" link, it opens Edit Password Vault window which is completely blank. But that window won't allow me to enter anything for "Accounts/Institution" or "Password Stored" when I press the Add Password button. Nothing at all happens when I press that button. The Edit Password Vault window won't allow anything entered into any of its fields.

When I set up Quicken Premier I set up a Vault Password which it does recognize and accept since set up every time I start the app. I also entered my online bank login. Up until 4/14/2022, One Step Update worked without any problems, downloading all transactions and balances for my checking and credit card accounts at my bank. But since that date it seems to have forgotten the bank login, yet won't allow me to enter that, but continues to recognize the Vault Password.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sort of sounds like the bank in question might have converted from the Direct Connect method of downloading information into Quicken to the Express Web Connect method where the password is no longer stored in the Quicken Password Vault. 
    What's the name of the bank?
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    J.P. Morgan Chase is the bank's name or commonly known as Chase Bank
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    If Chase Bank changed its connection method for online banking, they didn't inform me as a bank customer.
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    As Quicken Premier functions now, it won't let me enter my online bank login. The add password window won't let me enter anything after pressing "Add Password". It's like the window is frozen except I can click the cancel link to close it.
  • Tom Young
    This sounds like a "local" problem, i.e., some issue with your Quicken file and/or installation, since it just doesn't seem to be reported as a wide-spread problem.
    Chase supports both Direct Connect and Express Web Connect downloads.  Which of these is that particular Account using?  (Right-click the Account in the Account Bar, select Edit/Delete account, click on Online Services.)  
    As a test, you might create a new Quicken file with only this Account in it and see if you can connect and download from Chase in this new file.
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    FYI, Chase bank is having all kinds of issues. I haven't been able to get my accounts correct since March. I had this same issue you are having at some point but don't remember how I got out of it. I had done several steps trying to resolve other issues/error messages I was getting including activating/deactivating. Also be aware that if you try this it may not reactivate at first. It didn't for me the first time but then I did it again without any hitches. Of course, I am still having download issues with them though. I've spoken to both quicken and Chase and neither seems to know how to fix :p
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    karen m said:  Of course, I am still having download issues with them though. I've spoken to both quicken and Chase and neither seems to know how to fix
    A couple of basic Q&A - as I have Chase, and no problems with my Direct Connect - Checking, MC, Visa, etc
    1 - what version...... Help --> About Quicken ?
    2 - what connection .... look at top of Register for ... (Direct Connect) or (Express Web Connect) ?
    3 - what kind of "download issues" ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.P. Morgan Chase is the bank's name or commonly known as Chase Bank
    Please do TOOLS, Account List and tell  us what's in the "Financial Institution" column for this account.
    "JP Morgan Chase" and "Chase" are, to Quicken, not the same FI.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    I followed others who said how to see what connection my financial institution JP Morgan Chase is currently using. The reason I lost that connection was that JP Morgan Chase upgraded to a better online connection. Quicken provided steps to fix that. Now that connection is working and was able to update transaction to the current date. However Quicken for Windows continues to show I have a huge negative balance for my credit card account, yet online to JP Morgan Chase, it shows I'm currently paid up and owe nothing at all. I sure with Intuit would fix that problem with Quicken miscalculating credit card balance so it would show the true current balance.
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    It wasn't a local problem. The reason I lost that connection was that my financial institution JP Morgan Chase upgraded to a better online connection. Quicken provided steps to fix that. Now that connection is working and was able to update transaction to the current date. However Quicken for Windows continues to show I have a huge negative balance for my credit card account, yet online to JP Morgan Chase, it shows I'm currently paid up and owe nothing at all. I sure with Intuit would fix that problem with Quicken miscalculating credit card balance so it would show the true current balance.
  • Tom Young
    Intuit hasn't owned Quicken for many years now.
    If I had to guess what the problem is as far as your "huge negative balance" in Quicken I'd probably guess "duplicated transactions" in the Account, maybe caused by repeated attempts at disconnecting and reconnecting the Account?
    IF my guess is correct THEN you need to work backwards in the Account's register to find a time period where the Account's balance appears to be correct, and then work forwards, scanning for duplicate transactions and deleting them. 
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    I've only been using Quicken Premier for Windows since mid-March of last year so the account register won't go back to some previous time, other than the 2 years of transactions available online from my bank. There have been no disconnects for any of Quicken's downloads from my bank, so there are no duplicated transactions for my credit card account. I have gone over those transactions. I see no duplicates at all. I believe the fault lies in Quicken miscalculating the balance, resulting in that huge negative balance which in reality doesn't exist, since I'm fully paid up to the end of April of this year. By the way when I started Quicken tonight, it did an update, but that did not fix the balance miscalculation. It has remained the same amount for the last few weeks, despite new transactions as well as payments.
  • Tom Young
    edited May 2022
    I ASSUME - correct me if I'm wrong - that it's not an issue of "Quicken can't do math."  That is, as you run your eye down various transactions in the Account, you're not seeing an instance where the calculated "Balance" column number associated with a particular transaction isn't properly computed?
    If it's not a "duplicate transactions" problem and not a "math" problem then about the only remaining explanation is that the "Opening Balance" in the Account is wrong.  There have been, it seems to me, quite a few reports of Opening Balances getting changed when information is downloaded into the Account.  See if that's the origin of your large negative balance. 
    Also, could you explain your "JP Morgan Chase upgraded to a better online connection" statement?  There's 3 methods for getting information into your Quicken Accounts when doing a One Step Update or clicking on "Update now" within the Account's register.  The best, most reliable and error-free method is Direct Connect (DC).  Then there's Express Web Connect (EWC) and a variation of EWC called EWC+.  Did the change involve moving from one downloading method to a different one, or was it more along the lines of having to log into JP Morgan Chase and expressly allowing Quicken to access your information?
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    P Morgan Chase upgraded from Web Connect to Direct Connect for online downloads from my bank accounts. Regarding the opening balance for my credit card account, it was a large negative number (over $14,000), despite the account being fully paid on that date. But that didn't include transactions done before that. I had to do a manual download of transactions previous to 3/14/2021 (the date of the first download after installing the product), then import it into Quicken. My bank only makes available the last 2 years of transactions online, so that imported data covered 4/14/2020-3/13/2021. It does show a small negative balance for that first date of available transaction but it's less than $200. As of 4/31/2022 that negative balance has risen to over $26,000. I did an update today. That balance is now just over $27,000, yet online my credit card account shows it's fully paid to today. The only explanation I can think of for this huge discrepancy is that there is a flaw or bug in Quicken that's causing it to miscalculate that balance. I just sent in a report to Quicken about it. I will have to wait for their response.
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    I forgot to mention that with so many credit card transactions over 2 years, I'm unable to say whether or not the calculated "Balance" column number associated with a particular transaction isn't properly computed.
  • Jay Conway
    Jay Conway Member ✭✭
    Quicken has been known to change the opening balance of accounts on its own. I had this happen on my Capital One Visa and could not figure out why my ending balance was off. I used several statements and kept going back looking for erroneous entries to account for the errors I was seeing and finally realized that whatever was going on was from a long time ago. I finally calculated an opening balance that would adjust to get me to a correct final balance and changed my opening balance to this number. This corrected the problem and since this has happened more than once I added a memo on my opening balance entry with the correct opening balance so I could correct this balance if or rather when it happens again. This way I don't have to go through all the work of recalculating the correct opening balance. Someone else on the community offered this suggestion and I am just repeating it here. Quicken should not be able to change an opening balance entry but trust me it does sometimes.
  • PremierUser47
    PremierUser47 Member ✭✭
    I don't have the luxury of being able to go back to the beginning of the account Quicken has problems balancing correctly (my credit card account which continues to show a huge negative balance despite being fully paid up). My bank (Chase Bank) only gives Quicken online access to the last 2 years of transactions. My credit card account is several years older than that.
This discussion has been closed.