Two-step verification phone number isn't what the bank has

when logging into my bank account on Quicken, I am asked what phone number to send a verification code to. The only phone numbers being offered me are old landline numbers not associated with my bank account anymore. I have checked with my online banking and see that my current cell phone number is listed, but not these old landline numbers. How do I get Quicken to update my banking verification phone numbers to the ones that I currently use with my online banking? The bank says there's nothing they can do on their end.

Best Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    (taking Quicken out of the equation for a moment) Have you verified what happens if you access your bank from a new computer/browser that you have never accessed before - does your bank send the code to your correct number?
    Quicken has no knowledge of your phone numbers in the 2-step verification process of your bank.  That info is passed on by the bank each time and Quicken will simply display what it receives from the bank at that instant.  Somehow, somewhere your bank still has your old landline number lingering in their system - typically some legacy system that didn't get updated.  (I experienced a similar but sporadic issue for months about an old email address until someone at the bank tracked it down and corrected it)
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• [Deleted User]
    Answer ✓
    @h2oengr - Those old phone numbers originate from your bank, not Quicken.  It is your bank that transmits this information either directly (Direct Connect) or through Quicken (Express Web Connect).  If you yourself cannot see these old phone numbers in your online account with the bank, then your bank must be holding (old, outdated) data that you don't have access to.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You DON'T "tell Quicken" They're merely conveying the message from your bank.  How would Q know your old landline numbers?
    Tell your bank.  And that response from your bank is BS.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    (taking Quicken out of the equation for a moment) Have you verified what happens if you access your bank from a new computer/browser that you have never accessed before - does your bank send the code to your correct number?
    Quicken has no knowledge of your phone numbers in the 2-step verification process of your bank.  That info is passed on by the bank each time and Quicken will simply display what it receives from the bank at that instant.  Somehow, somewhere your bank still has your old landline number lingering in their system - typically some legacy system that didn't get updated.  (I experienced a similar but sporadic issue for months about an old email address until someone at the bank tracked it down and corrected it)
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• [Deleted User]
    Answer ✓
    @h2oengr - Those old phone numbers originate from your bank, not Quicken.  It is your bank that transmits this information either directly (Direct Connect) or through Quicken (Express Web Connect).  If you yourself cannot see these old phone numbers in your online account with the bank, then your bank must be holding (old, outdated) data that you don't have access to.
This discussion has been closed.