updating category within numerous split transactions! Why does it have to be MANUAL? (Q Mac)

dschandl
dschandl Member ✭✭
In a nutshell, while cleaning up a few years of data, I realize that a regularly occurring deposit (payroll) split transaction has an outdated category that I would like to update. So I simply selected all these split transactions and attempted to update them all with the preferred category; however, that is NOT possible. I can change the PAYEE for all, but that is not what I want.

Am I missing something simple that is right in front of me? I thought this would be a simple fix OR I thought I could find a quick answer in these forums. I was wrong on both accounts.

Best Answer

Answers

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    dschandl said:

Am I missing something simple that is right in front of me?

No - the feature is not available in QMac.

See this link:
      https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20110780#Comment_20110780

Cost your vote!
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• dschandl
    dschandl Member ✭✭
    Thank you J_Mike....Hopefully, this "feature" will make into a Mac functionality one day.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The answer might be yes, you can do it, but only if you want to change it everywhere it's used. If you want to change a category everywhere it's used, open the Categories window, double click the category to change it's name. If you want to change a category to one that's already in use, you can merge them in the same window. Click one of the categories, then command-click the other so they are both selected, then click the merge button at the bottom.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • dschandl
    dschandl Member ✭✭
    Appreciate the added info, RickO, but I don't want to change everywhere.

In my case, I added a sub-category (e.g., Taxes:Fed, Taxes:State, etc.) a few years back. Somewhere along the way, many of the split transactions did not include the "sub". Changing ALL would wreak havoc on my reporting and consistency.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You may be aware of this: if this is a scheduled transaction, you can change the split for all future transactions by editing the scheduled transaction. Double click own the next instance of the scheduled transaction, select Edit All Instances, and make your change. This will change all future instances of the transaction, but not past transactions. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.