Old version 12.0.2 -R3 (Q Mac)

calvinastro
calvinastro Member ✭✭
edited June 2022 in Before you Buy
Dear all,
I'm helping my customer migrating his old Macbook. He is using the Quicken old version 12.0.2-R3. Did anyone know is it ok such version database file can be open on latest version for MAC if purchased? Because I cannot find any contact that I can conact to, such as Email also. Please let me know where can I contact to if known. Thank you very much for that.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm a little confused by the version number you cited. We're talking about Quicken for Mac, correct? The end version of the old Quicken Mac was Quicken 2007, which carried version numbers in the 16.x range. So is this a version four years before that one? I'm sorry, I don't have the version numbers of those old Quicken Mac products. (I know there was Quicken 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007; I can't remember if the version before that was 2013 or carried the title Quicken 7?)

If we're talking about a version of Quicken on Mac from about 20 years ago, then it may be possible to upgrade, but it won't be easy because it will require finding intermediate versions and having a Mac with the correct old operating system to run them. The current Quicken Mac can only import files from Quicken 2007, so moving the data forward would entail one or possibly two intermediate upgrades to get to Quicken 2007. Can you find out what version of operating system is on the old MacBook?

P.S. Quicken has long ago dropped support for all the old versions of Quicken Mac, so the company's Customer Support won't be able to help you with this issue; they will tell you you'll need to start a new file from scratch in the current Quicken Mac. A few of us longtime Quicken Mac users here can advise which versions of Quicken will be needed to step forward in increments. I don't want to try to spell out all the possibilities because it will make your head spin. So please share the version of operating system, and the product name of this version of Quicken, and that will help define what the possible paths forward are. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • calvinastro
    calvinastro Member ✭✭
    Hi Jacobs,
    Thank you for your comment. I want to show up the version capture screen in here, but cannot find the way, it show the version no. is 12.02-R3. Yes, you are right. It may over 20 years, because the Macbook version power book G4. Thus, I think the version must before than Quicken 2007. Just want to know any method that can be do.

Thanks again Jacobs!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    To attach a screenshot, just drag and drop the image file on the comment box.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    Please post the version of operating system on that MacBook.
  • calvinastro
    calvinastro Member ✭✭
    Tried to drag and drop the image file on the comment box, but it just open a new tab in web browser.
    Please try to view as below link, thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BxUNF6i3YbAn_k2eSGKGLMpML89MTyA0/view?usp=sharing

On the other hand, I'm getting the OS version still. Will upload also if have.

Thanks!
  • jacobs
    Thanks for the photo of the screen. As the left side shows, the product information I was looking to confirm is that this is Quicken 2003 for Mac.

Here's the challenge you face. You need to get the data updated to Quicken 2007 in order to import it into the current program. So one problem you face is that Quicken 2007 isn't readily available anywhere; the company doesn't provide it anymore for conversions, but you can sometimes find an overpriced copy on eBay or find someone who has an old copy who can send it to you. (I can help point you to some possible resources once we pin down more details about the current Mac.)

But it's more complicated than that. There are essentially two different versions of Quicken 2007 which have different compatibilities for the purposes we're discussing here. The original Quicken 2007 (version 16.0 up to 16.0.4) runs on a Mac operating system up to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I believe the PowerBook G4 could run System 9 and Mac OS X 10.0 through Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger); Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) may also run, but only if the RAM was upgraded to at least 2 GB of RAM. I believe the minimum requirement for the original Quicken 2007 was Mac OS 10.3 (Panther). So I am hoping your client's Powerbook G4 is running Panther or Tiger; if it's something earlier than Panther, there will be additional hoops to jump through.  

There is also the updated Quicken 2007 (version 16.1.0 through 16.2.4) — also known as "Quicken 2007 for Lion", "Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible", or "Quicken 2007 LC" — released in 2011 which runs on every Mac operating system from 10.6 (Snow Leopard) up to the relatively recent 10.4 (Mojave). But this updated Quicken 2007 will not open a Quicken 2003 file; it can only open Quicken 2005 or 2006 data files.

So, if you find that the PowerBook G4 is running Panther or Tiger, you likely have just one hurdle to cross: you need to find a copy of original Quicken 2007 (16.0 to 16.04). This version of Quicken should open and convert the Quicken 2003 data file. Install that Quicken 2007 on the old Mac, let it convert the Quicken 2003 file to Quicken 2007 format, copy the Quicken 2007 data file to the new Mac, install the current Quicken Mac, and have Quicken Mac import the Quicken 2007 data file. The challenge here will be finding a copy of the original Quicken 2007.

There's another possible path, but it's more difficult. If you can't find the original Quicken 2007, but you can find a copy of Quicken 2005 or Quicken 2006, you can upgrade the data to that version. Now you'll be able to use the updated Quicken 2007 (the "Lion Compatible" version), which is typically easier to find. But I'm pretty sure you won't be able to run this version of Quicken on the PowerBook G4 running Panther or Tiger. So you will need to find someone with a Mac, or buy a used Mac, which is at least a couple years old and running macOS Mojave or earlier. Quicken 2005 or Quicken 2006, installed on the old Powerbook, will open and update the Quicken 2003 data file. Move that file to the Mac running an operating system between Snow Leopard and Mojave, install the Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible, and use it to open the file from Quicken 2005 or 2006. And then move that file to your client's new Mac, where the current Quicken Mac can import that Quicken 2007 data file.

Report back on what operating system you find running on the Powerbook G4. (I didn't go into what happens if it's before Panther; that would require either an update to the old Mac, which is probably not advisable, or coming up with a newer-but-not-too-new Mac to use briefly for the intermediate transition.) And is the new Mac your client is moving to a truly new (2022) Mac, or a used Mac? If the latter, what model is it and what version of macOS is it running? 

Whew! That's enough to make my brain hurt! Quick summary: there are a few possible paths forward, but it may not be easy finding the old intermediate copy (or copies) of Quicken you need in order to jump to the current version. 
  • calvinastro
    calvinastro Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jacobs! Seem it is very complicated to do it.....
    I'm not sure you need the MAC version still, I have upload on another link as below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12SHrhlp9wHzXTmVmcOrNyrBiejp5QZWQ/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again your complete explaination!
  • jacobs
    @calvinastro Okay, so the Powerbook is running Mac OS Leopard (10.5). Great! That means it is capable of running Quicken 2007. So your one challenge now is trying to locate a copy of Quicken 2007 — the original 16.0.x version. If you can get a copy of that, you should be able to run it on the Powerbook, update the data file, and then move that data file to the new Mac to import into the modern Quicken Mac.

Make sure you do not get the updated Quicken 2007 (version 16.1 or 16.2); it will not run on the Powerbook because it requires the next operating system, and even if it did, it will not read the Quicken 2003 data file. 
  • calvinastro
    calvinastro Member ✭✭
    @jacobs
    Thanks again & appreicate your help!
This discussion has been closed.