Global change all for categories/memos/etc splits (Q Mac)

DrB
DrB Member
Is there a way to globally change a category (or any other field text for that matter)? In this case I wish to add a subcategory to a bunch of transactions that have the same incorrect category specification. In SQL it would look something like
set category to 'mynewcat:subcat' where (payee contains "UCOP" and category = 'oldcategory'). Basically, a slightly nuanced change all command. I haven't been able to find a find/change command in Q2022.

Could this be done by exporting the relevant transactions, editing them in a text editor and reimporting them? I have a feeling this would just duplicate the old transactions with the new categories and then I'd have to manually delete the old ones transaction by transaction which would probably be more work than editing the original transactions. It's a computer - I shouldn't have to click 3 or 4 times per transaction. (Is there some way to make all split information show by default in the transaction register so I don't have to keep clicking to drill into the transaction every time?). Surely there is a way to automate the process?

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Select the transactions in a register or group register (using command-click or shift-click to select multiple). Then click menu File > Get Info. This will let you change the category. But one BIG caveat: it will not affect any category that's on a split line. Those you will have to do one by one.

There is not a find/replace feature in QMac (yet). There's an idea post in the Product Ideas group that you could look up and vote for.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    See my reply in the other thread where you posted the same question. (In the future, please don't post the same question in multiple threads, as it can get confusing and wastes the time of people trying to help.)

DrB said:
    Is there some way to make all split information show by default in the transaction register so I don't have to keep clicking to drill into the transaction every time?
    Yes, this is a Preference setting. In Preferences > Register, click "Automatically show splits in register".

Alternatively, this is one of the keyboard shortcuts I find very much worth learning: click on a transaction and press Command-Option-S ("S" for "split") to open the transaction for editing on the split screen. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Select the transactions in a register or group register (using command-click or shift-click to select multiple). Then click menu File > Get Info. This will let you change the category. But one BIG caveat: it will not affect any category that's on a split line. Those you will have to do one by one.

There is not a find/replace feature in QMac (yet). There's an idea post in the Product Ideas group that you could look up and vote for.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    See my reply in the other thread where you posted the same question. (In the future, please don't post the same question in multiple threads, as it can get confusing and wastes the time of people trying to help.)

DrB said:
    Is there some way to make all split information show by default in the transaction register so I don't have to keep clicking to drill into the transaction every time?
    Yes, this is a Preference setting. In Preferences > Register, click "Automatically show splits in register".

Alternatively, this is one of the keyboard shortcuts I find very much worth learning: click on a transaction and press Command-Option-S ("S" for "split") to open the transaction for editing on the split screen. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.