Code Expiration - where is a clear corporate statement?

Pretty ridiculous that no where can I find a clear statement of when the code expires. A leading retailer is selling Quicken Deluxe 2020 (says that on the barcode) for $31.19. Not a new user version.

You can enter a code 6 months before yours expires. I just bought the above, entered the code, and I'm good until June 2023. I would like to buy ANOTHER one, and in 6 months (you can enter a code 6 months before your subscription ends).

Since the box says Quicken Deluxe 2020, I should be able to buy it today, enter the code in December 2022, and it work fine. But I want to be sure, because I can't return anything 6 months later.
Frequently frustrated Quicken user since 1996

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @RickQuick,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Activation codes expire 24 months after they are generated. The expiration date for Activation Codes should be found on the Activation Code card. 

If an activation code is expired at the time of purchase or fails to be accepted when entered into the program prior to the expected expiration date, customers can contact Quicken Support and we will provide a replacement after proper proof of purchase has been collected. 

This policy does not apply to expired/invalid codes that were purchased over 24 months ago.

I hope this helps! Thank you.

While you will not have access to viewing the following link as it is an internal-only article (accessible only to Quicken Staff), I am linking it here as a reference for other Quicken Staff members who may wish to review this thread and verify this policy: https://www.quicken.com/support/internal-expired-subscription-activation-codes

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    @RickQuick Thank you for providing the screenshots.

I've passed along the concerns regarding the expiration date expressed in this thread. 

I was able to confirm that the activation codes expire 24 months after printing, and that expiration dates are printed on all new Activation Code cards. This does mean that the version/box that you purchased is fairly old. 

We would also like to gather some additional information. If you don't mind; could you please provide the name of the “reputable retailer” you purchased from?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good plan and I wholehearted agree that Quicken needs to more forth transparent on what the expiration date is in the box on the outside of the box.
    I'm curious, what was the date on the card in the box you bought?  You say you are good until June 2023, what day?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello @RickQuick,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Activation codes expire 24 months after they are generated. The expiration date for Activation Codes should be found on the Activation Code card. 

If an activation code is expired at the time of purchase or fails to be accepted when entered into the program prior to the expected expiration date, customers can contact Quicken Support and we will provide a replacement after proper proof of purchase has been collected. 

This policy does not apply to expired/invalid codes that were purchased over 24 months ago.

I hope this helps! Thank you.

While you will not have access to viewing the following link as it is an internal-only article (accessible only to Quicken Staff), I am linking it here as a reference for other Quicken Staff members who may wish to review this thread and verify this policy: https://www.quicken.com/support/internal-expired-subscription-activation-codes

-Quicken Anja

• RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    [Removed - Disruptive] As many have posted in the past, no where on the card is any expiration date.
  • RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > Sounds like a good plan and I wholehearted agree that Quicken needs to more forth transparent on what the expiration date is in the box on the outside of the box.
    > I'm curious, what was the date on the card in the box you bought?  You say you are good until June 2023, what day?

There is no date on the card. There hasn't been dates on cards as is posted all over the forum.

I renewed with the code, and I'm good for a year from when my subscription expired in June 2022, now June 2023. Date is irrelevant, has nothing to do with product I bought or the card in the box.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    …Activation codes expire 24 months after they are generated. The expiration date for Activation Codes should be found on the Activation Code card. 
    Not trying to be a nitpicker, but how can a buyer know when the code was generated based on what is printed on the outside of the box?  Since the boxes for the next year are usually available in October, it would seem to be that the code would have to be generated prior to then. 
    Are the dates based on the calendar year and expire two years later on 12/31?
    If you step back at look at this from the purchaser's standpoint, everything that has been said is valid, but does not provide any guidance on how to know what date is in the box.

So, based on this, if a purchaser buys a very old box of subscription Quicken which is expired, Quicken will make it good.  If Quicken put the date on the outside of the box, the purchaser would not buy it and Quicken would not have to deal with providing a valid code.
    I'm not expecting you to solve this since it is a corporate decision, but it sure would be nice if the folks in control of these things would clean up the mess they have created.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    No dates anywhere.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    @RickQuick Thank you for providing the screenshots.

I've passed along the concerns regarding the expiration date expressed in this thread. 

I was able to confirm that the activation codes expire 24 months after printing, and that expiration dates are printed on all new Activation Code cards. This does mean that the version/box that you purchased is fairly old. 

We would also like to gather some additional information. If you don't mind; could you please provide the name of the “reputable retailer” you purchased from?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

•  The year (2019) is on the third screen shot?  Does this mean that it is over 2 years old?
  • RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    > @Damian said:
    >  The year (2019) is on the third screen shot?  Does this mean that it is over 2 years old?

That's a copyright. It has zero to do with anything. This is Quicken Deluxe 2020, says so on the barcode. Therefore, it should be good for the entire calendar year of 2022, i.e. 2 years later. [Removed - Violation of Community Guidelines]
  • RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > @RickQuick Thank you for providing the screenshots.
    >
    > I've passed along the concerns regarding the expiration date expressed in this thread. 
    >
    > I was able to confirm that the activation codes expire 24 months after printing, and that expiration dates are printed on all new Activation Code cards. This does mean that the version/box that you purchased is fairly old. 
    >
    > We would also like to gather some additional information. If you don't mind; could you please provide the name of the “reputable retailer” you purchased from?
    >
    > Thank you!

[Removed - Speculation]

Fairly old? Quicken Deluxe 2020 is "fairly old"? See the picture with the barcode, it says very clearly Quicken Deluxe 2020. Why is that not good until the end of calendar year 2022? Or a specific date?

No, I'm not providing the name of the retailer. You can easily Google for Quicken Deluxe and see who is advertising it for what price. Is a retailer not allowed to sell Quicken Deluxe 2020 in 2022?
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that the addition of an external expiration date is a tough add-on for the printing of the box, or assembling on the production line (however that is accomplished).  Just like with any other package that as an external Expiration Date - it has to be added, usually with an ink jet spraying printer as the package comes down the assembly line.   All of the involved technology would have to be ADDED with the additional cost of implementing this solution - VS just grabbing a stack of boxes that are used basically all year or longer.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• RickQuick
    RickQuick Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > I think that the addition of an external expiration date is a tough add-on for the printing of the box, or assembling on the production line (however that is accomplished).  Just like with any other package that as an external Expiration Date - it has to be added, usually with an ink jet spraying printer as the package comes down the assembly line.   All of the involved technology would have to be ADDED with the additional cost of implementing this solution - VS just grabbing a stack of boxes that are used basically all year or longer.

No, it's easy.

Quicken 2020 codes expire 12/31/22
    Quicken 2021 codes expire 12/31/23
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents:

Similar situation: I purchased a boxed version on sale from a well-known big-box consumer electronics store. I found out I am 3 months away from being able to enter the activation key to extend my subscription. I wanted to know if that boxed key will still be good when I try to use it because the card had no expiration date, and I don't know how long that Quicken box has been sitting on the shelf of that well-known big-box store.

I entered support chat, and after a couple of iterations of "yes, I know the FAQ says the keys are good for 24 months, but that doesn't address my specific issue", she was able to look up the key and told me the last day I could activate with it was 1/1/24 (note the barcode on the outside says Quicken 2020). Awesome. Exactly the information I was looking for.

I think of all the similar support interactions that could be saved if 1) the expiration is somewhere on the OUTSIDE of the package (because most places will not let you return opened software), even a simple blanket scheme like @RickQuick mentions above or 2) Quicken Inc provided a way for you to test the validity of your key online (like Microsoft can do with Office keys).
  • @jtemplin - that is a very good idea.  Why not have a place online where the purchaser can enter the Quicken Key to find out what the expiration date is?  If it turns out that the key is expired or very close to expiring, maybe the purchaser can then get a new key from Quicken, if they can provide proof of purchase.
This discussion has been closed.