Using Quicken while outside North America

I am on a subscription. Can I use Quicken while overseas/abroad?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Your profile shows you are subscribed to Quicken Windows but you posted this under a Mac category.  Please clarify which one you are subscribed to.
    To answer your question:
    • If you want to use it to update US financial institutions:  Yes, you can do that with your computer as long as you have an Internet connection.  NOTE: Some have reported that doing OSU can sometimes be problematic if/when prompted for 2FA using their Mobile phone numbers.  I believe it is mostly an issue where the Mobile phone number is an international number and not a US number.  One work around for that is to make sure your online account profiles, notifications and security settings are set up to send 2FA requests to your email instead of to your Mobile phone. 
    • If you want to use it to set up/update non-US financial institutions for downloads:  No, you cannot do that because Quicken does not support any non-US/non-Canadian financial institutions.
    • You can also use Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web to update and maintain your accounts when you are traveling or not at home.  When traveling outside of the US/Canada, you must have International cell phone service in order to Quicken Mobile to work.  And you will need Internet access in order to use Quicken on the Web.
    • You can always use Quicken manually (off-line) whenever and wherever you are located.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    dan93230 said:
    Thanks. Is there any Quicken policy that prevents accessing your Quicken while overseas?
    No.  The program is saved on your hard drive just as your data file(s) should be.  Which location you use it in is totally up to you.  As mentioned above, you can use it manually wherever and whenever you want to.  You can also do the same for OSU/transaction downloads provided you have Internet access.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    Your profile shows you are subscribed to Quicken Windows but you posted this under a Mac category.  Please clarify which one you are subscribed to.
    To answer your question:
    • If you want to use it to update US financial institutions:  Yes, you can do that with your computer as long as you have an Internet connection.  NOTE: Some have reported that doing OSU can sometimes be problematic if/when prompted for 2FA using their Mobile phone numbers.  I believe it is mostly an issue where the Mobile phone number is an international number and not a US number.  One work around for that is to make sure your online account profiles, notifications and security settings are set up to send 2FA requests to your email instead of to your Mobile phone. 
    • If you want to use it to set up/update non-US financial institutions for downloads:  No, you cannot do that because Quicken does not support any non-US/non-Canadian financial institutions.
    • You can also use Quicken Mobile and Quicken on the Web to update and maintain your accounts when you are traveling or not at home.  When traveling outside of the US/Canada, you must have International cell phone service in order to Quicken Mobile to work.  And you will need Internet access in order to use Quicken on the Web.
    • You can always use Quicken manually (off-line) whenever and wherever you are located.

• dan93230
    dan93230 Member
    I'm presently on Windows, but moving to Mac next month.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2022
    dan93230 said:
    I'm presently on Windows, but moving to Mac next month.
    Ah.  The Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac programs are a bit different from each other.  My previous reply is applicable to both but if you have not already done so, you might want to review the products comparisons at https://www.quicken.com/product-selector.  If the check mark is followed by one asterisk it is a Windows-only feature.  If it is followed by two asterisks it is a Mac-only feature.  In addition, Home & Business is a Windows-only product.
    When you move to Mac you will need to convert your Windows data file.  My understanding is that process works fairly well but some who have made the conversion are a bit "surprised" that features and functionality are not 100% identical.  Then, if they later decide they want to move back to Windows, they are even more "surprised" to find out they will lose some data (mostly investments, I believe) during that conversion process. 
    Because of all this what some who have moved from Windows to Mac do is to install Parallels so they can continue to use Quicken Windows on their Mac without needing to convert anything or adjust to the features/function differences.
    One final comment:  If you are not already aware, if you do decide to go with Quicken Mac you will not need to purchase a new Quicken subscription for it.  Your current subscription will allow you to install Quicken Mac and use it.

• dan93230
    dan93230 Member
    Thanks. Is there any Quicken policy that prevents accessing your Quicken while overseas?
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓
    dan93230 said:
    No.  The program is saved on your hard drive just as your data file(s) should be.  Which location you use it in is totally up to you.  As mentioned above, you can use it manually wherever and whenever you want to.  You can also do the same for OSU/transaction downloads provided you have Internet access.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    From what I have heard, doing One Step Update in foreign countries can lead to it failing.

From what I know there isn't a "policy", but there have been reports that either the Quicken servers or the financial institution servers refusing a connection because of a blacklisting some IP addresses.

Personally, I think that whole practice is a bad idea because the bad guys know very well how to change where their IP addresses are coming from to other places, and as such this isn't much for preventing hacking and just messes with regular customers.  But it is what it is.  You will see this kind of reported failure when people talk about using a VPN and having problems.  You get the IP address of the VPN server.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited May 2022
    Chris_QPW said:
    From what I have heard, doing One Step Update in foreign countries can lead to it failing.

From what I know there isn't a "policy", but there have been reports that either the Quicken servers or the financial institution servers refusing a connection because of a blacklisting some IP addresses.

Personally, I think that whole practice is a bad idea because the bad guys know very well how to change where their IP addresses are coming from to other places, and as such this isn't much for preventing hacking and just messes with regular customers.  But it is what it is.  You will see this kind of reported failure when people talk about using a VPN and having problems.  You get the IP address of the VPN server.
    When I was still working I would frequently travel to China and other Asian countries.  I never had any issues running OSU on my laptop from there but I did use a VPN service where I can select the VPN server I want to use.  I always selected a VPN server that is located in this country.  Maybe that is why I never had any OSU issues.

This discussion has been closed.