Password NOT BEING ACCEPTED! Reset Password NOT Doing Anything!

In the past week I've updated my data file with past 2 years of data. I've never had to open it with my password. I did not close Quicken for several days. When I opened laptop this evening I discovered that Windows updated and rebooted. Quicken now is asking me for a password. I had 2 different passwords in the past. Neither one works. I did not update a backup file because I was working on my data file off and on for past few days. [Removed - Disruptive]

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Well - is it a Data File Password - that is being prompted ?
    If it is and you DID NOT create one - it is a bug, and can't be resolved.... the only recourse is a RESTORE from a Backup.
    Quicken is fragile - you should be making regular backups (with multiple files) as you commit lots of effort & data entry.
    ... File --> Copy or Backup --> Complete Backup --> [x] Add Date to Backup File Name

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• moonshine
    moonshine Member ✭✭
    No back was made! I worked on the file one evening and left it open, I worked on it the following morning and then got distracted and left Quicken open for a few days. Then Windows rebooted so I never got the chance to do a backup.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To prevent future occurrences of this situation, may I suggest that
    1. you change Windows to NOT automatically reboot when done installing updates
    2. you close Quicken every day when you're done working with it
    3. you configure Quicken to create backups every time you close Quicken

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and by default goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this: E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS to prove it!

• moonshine
    moonshine Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Ok, so my file WAS NOT PASSWORD PROTECTED! YET, Quicken now has it LOCKED! How [Removed - Abusive] does that happen unless by Quicken design? When I did have my file password protected I had a specific password that was used always! That password is not recognized by the password algorithm NOR will the "Forgot Password" link do anything? I say this is a predetermined (programmed) response at periodic intervals within the Quicken software! This is designed to hold private data hostage until/unless that private citizen "buys" another year of service. Unfortunately, I'm EXACTLY 6 months into my current year subscription. In the next few days I'll seek help from Quicken to unlock my file [Removed - Speculation] and then I'll spend the next few months looking for an alternative to Quicken. My file was not password protected! Now Quicken says it is. [Removed - Disruptive] 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happened here is that your Windows reboot while Quicken was running damaged or wiped out a control record in the Quicken data file. Lack of readable control information makes Quicken think, the file is password protected. Result: To the best of my knoledge, your Quicken data file is now unrecoverable. Sorry. The only way out would be to restore from a backup. Absent any current backups you'll have to start over, I'm afraid.
    But please do feel free to contact  Quicken Support on the phone during posted hours of operation for further assistance.
  • bryanmyrick70
    bryanmyrick70 Member ✭✭
    I've had this problem several times now, and so the last time I set up Quicken to create frequent backups. PROBLEM: It happened again this morning (all of sudden, I have to enter a password to unlock the data file) and I tried to restore the most recent backup. Now the restored file is also asking me to enter a password. I am COMPLETELY locked out, the "Forgot password?" link doesn't function, and I NEVER set up Quicken to require a password. This is unacceptable for paid software. Quicken needs to fix this.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    bryanmyrick70 said: I've had this problem several times now...
    I don't believe there is a fix for this nasty BUG -
    you just have to go back to previous versions/backups until you find one without the password bug.
    As a note - a potential safeguard is to actually create a Data File Password - so there is no empty slot for the bug to attack.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rawhite52
    rawhite52 Member
    I am just now having this issue with asking for a password. I added my last information two hours ago and tried to go back into the program. It is now asking for a password. I did not set one up i have using this program for over 20 years. The comment on May 15 is number 3 is very much a lie. I can not get any of my backups to work. i have relied on this program for my business work and now i am screwed. I not have no away of creating my work since i relied on your program. Not a happy customer. I backed up every 5 times i use this program.
  • jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Ps56k2 said:
    bryanmyrick70 said: I've had this problem several times now...
    I don't believe there is a fix for this nasty BUG -
    you just have to go back to previous versions/backups until you find one without the password bug.
    Baloney. There is always a fix for software bugs. The only limitation is how much time and money they are willing to spend fixing it.

As for your "Quicken is fragile" statement, if it really IS fragile, they why are any of us paying money for it? Quicken has been around for, what, 30 years? Any software that has been around that long should be mature and stable, not fragile. Your dismissal of these users is simply repugnant.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    All, This is indeed a nasty bug that has been around for at least a couple of years.  If you do a search here, you will find reports on a weekly basis if not more frequent and has happened more than once to some users.
    Unfortunately Quicken team has not given it adequate priority to investigate and resolve and it is a shame.  Given this unfortunate reality, the only solution for us users to work around it is to
    (a) find "a" backup that works
    (b) set a data file password as a preventative measure to this recurring nasty bug
    (c) do a date-stamped backup EVERY time we use Quicken.  Because it is that fragile.
    No one is dismissing the pain the users are suffering from or the serious nature of this issue; far from it.  Like you I am frustrated too since the suggestions are not resolving the core issue (the repeated unresolved bug).  The Superusers above are trying to calmly help and educate us and I am personally grateful to their expertise and suggestions which have saved me from learning the hard way countless times.
    I recommend that we use Quicken program's Help > Report a problem - the more reports they receive, the better chances that they will up the priority.  (posting it on this community helps but has less impact than the former)
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

This discussion has been closed.