Getting CC-592 error with Citibank

solmssen
solmssen Member ✭✭
This worked as recently as 5/20 - but any attempt to download now gives CC-592 error (authentication method?). Nothing's changed at Citibank that I can see, and I can still login via website. I tried deactivating and reactivating, but I get the same error.

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

I am sorry that you are being affected by this issue with account connections and error messages. Thank you for your efforts in drawing our attention to this problem here on the Quicken Community. 

An Open Alert regarding this issue has now been posted, and I would like to repost a link to it here, for everyone's convenience. Any additional information or available updates will be provided in this thread.

I hope that is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

Answers

• carthman
    carthman Member ✭✭
    Same here
  • Bob Uhl
    Bob Uhl Member ✭✭✭
    On 5/22/2022 my Citibank Checking & Savings accounts stopped synchronizing with Quicken, I now get error code CC-592. Prior to that, I had been synchronizing these accounts with no issues. I can still log in to Citibank through the Citibank web portal.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. However, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation. While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• SteveK_ORD
    SteveK_ORD Member ✭✭
    Same problem. Submitted a report
  • Bosco
    Bosco Member ✭✭✭
    Same problem.  I submitted a report.
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    OK Anja - report submitted.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello everyone,

I am sorry that you are being affected by this issue with account connections and error messages. Thank you for your efforts in drawing our attention to this problem here on the Quicken Community. 

An Open Alert regarding this issue has now been posted, and I would like to repost a link to it here, for everyone's convenience. Any additional information or available updates will be provided in this thread.

I hope that is helpful.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I'll add that Quicken stopped prompting me for 2FA for Citibank about 2-3 weeks ago but was still able to download data. I thought it had something to do with the new data provider, so I wasn't concerned. I was hoping you had finally switched to an OAuth API or something instead of web scraping.
  • PhantomRex
    PhantomRex Member
    > @solmssen said:
    > I'll add that Quicken stopped prompting me for 2FA for Citibank about 2-3 weeks ago but was still able to download data. I thought it had something to do with the new data provider, so I wasn't concerned. I was hoping you had finally switched to an OAuth API or something instead of web scraping.

Exactly for me, too. About 2 or 3 weeks prior to 5/20, Citibank updates stopped asking for the 2FA. And then after 5/20, Citibank just hasn't updated :(

I hope this gets resolved soon!!!

UPDATE: BTW, I am actually quite confused. Quicken *DOES* seem to be downloading some of the transactions from Citibank. And the "balances" seem to be pretty close, too. But I am still getting the error! WTH???
  • FOFD
    FOFD Member
    I was able to get it working for my Citi Credit Cards (via Citi Cards in Quicken) by enabling "Manage Your Desktop Apps" in the "More Settings" section of Citibank. Once there, if you add app access, Citibank will create a 10 minute window for desktop or online application to access the data. Once this is done, I received an email stating that access was granted and I can see "Quicken Windows" on the Manage Your Desktop Apps page.

While this was successful for the Citi Credit cards, I am still getting the CC-592 when trying to add the Citi Checking and Savings accounts.
  • Rick_NY
    Rick_NY Member
    Has anyone found the solution to this issue?
  • Gary Stanford
    Gary Stanford Member ✭✭
    Thank you, FOFD. I have a Citibank Credit card and followed your lead... Within the 10 minute time limit it returned repeated error messages about the Citibank website being unavailable and I had to submit my credentials three times but it finally went through and downloaded. We'll see it it lasts.
  • SteveK_ORD
    SteveK_ORD Member ✭✭
    Used "Manage App" approach as FOFD suggested and similarly got Credit Cards working but not Checking or Savings
  • Bruce763
    Bruce763 Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared, I appreciate your response above, and I know this isn't your fault, but...

I'm tired of the Quicken Citibank connection process breaking every time you send out a software update, or randomly.

This has been going on for years now, and I'm really fed up with it. I've been using Quicken since the 1990's, and the company has added a zillion bells and whistles, but still screws up what should be one of the most basic things: Downloading transactions reliably.

I'm not venting at you, personally, but this is infuriating at this point, in 2022, that Quicken is still having reliability issues with Citibank downloads after over 20 years.

I'm not looking for an answer here. But I would like to see this escalated. It's close to the one damn baseline level thing the software should get right.
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    Bruce,

You are not the first person to call this out, and unfortunately, you won't be the last.

It is very clear that Quicken doesn't consider downloading transactions reliably from Citibank to be a high priority item.

As you noted, this has been a problem on-and-off for years.

If they wanted to fix it, they would have put the right people on this.

I have shamed the CEO and CIO on these forums. All Quicken did was delete my post, instead of fixing the Citibank issue.

It is very sad.
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    This is a situation I think where the problem is the lack of standards, and the lack of an overarching player to drive adoption of those standards. The banks and Intuit and Quicken (and other players in the financial software space) need to come up with something like Zelle, an organization and a standard for interchange of data that all of the players can agree to and participate in. Until that happens, Quicken is always going to be scraping websites and every small change in the code of the site is a potential stopper for data interchange. This needs to work much more like Office 365 where I can grant enterprise applications permissions on my tenant to do useful things. There’s definitely a good model for dealing with this, but we’ve just got to get everybody on board.
  • michaelrhodes1954
    michaelrhodes1954 Member ✭✭
    FOFD, thanks. This sorta' worked for me. First attempt, still got the error message. 30 seconds later tried again. No error message, but only downloaded one credit card transaction of four that I could see on the Citi website. Tried again, nothing else downloaded, but then the Citi website screen refreshed, and the transaction section would not load. So, gonna wait until later today or tomorrow morning to try again. Thanks again!
  • baats
    baats Member ✭✭
    Same ongoing problem here
  • Bruce763
    Bruce763 Member ✭✭
    First, thanks to tired techie and solmmsen for weighing in here.

Here's the only way I got it to work: Go to Citi, disable 2-factor authentication, go to the page that gives you ten minutes for desktop apps and start the timer. Don't sign out.

Open quicken, download the transactions for all your Citi accounts.

Once they've downloaded, go back to Citi, reinstate 2-factor, and sign out.

So in short, your 2-factor is only disabled for a few minutes. These days, you'd be crazy to not use it on all your financial services.)
  • solmssen
    solmssen Member ✭✭
    @Bruce763 - if you do re-enable 2FA after the download, does that stop Quicken from downloading again? Do you have to disable 2FA for each download?
  • Bruce763
    Bruce763 Member ✭✭
    solmssen: Disable 2FA for each download. Fortunately, it's just a slider switch on the Citi site, and you don't have to log-in/log-out. (But you will get email about disabling and re-enabling)

At least this is working for me, now, but I'm not optimistic about after whatever "improvement" Q sends with their next software update.
  • Bruce763
    Bruce763 Member ✭✭
    PS: By "each download" I mean not each account, but each download session. So if you do 3 accounts (savings/checking/credit card) at 3:00 on Monday, you only do it once, and then go through the same process on Tuesday.
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    @Bruce763 - your workaround did indeed work for me. Turn off 2FA, download transactions, turn back on the 2FA. Thanks for figuring it out.

@Quicken Anja - can you please let your Tech Support people know this, as they waste a lot of our time telling us to try Citi Cards, which does work for the credit cards, but doesn't work for the checking accounts. Your Citibank download process used to work with 2FA, as mentioned above by both @solmssen and @PhantomRex . But now it does not. It is broken!
  • SteveK_ORD
    SteveK_ORD Member ✭✭
    @Bruce763, @"Quicken Anja" - Interesting, but unfortunately didn't work for me. I did get my Costco-Citi card working leveraging the advice of enabling desktop apps, but unfortunately Checking/Savings still not working. I tried to disable the online access for Checking/Savings but when I tried to enable the Citi connection doesn't even show those accounts as available (just shows my credit card)
  • Bruce763
    Bruce763 Member ✭✭
    @SteveK_ORD : I don't work for Quicken, but here's what I would do:
    1) Citibank, disable 2FA, allow desktop access.
    2) Qicken Tools/account list, and edit citi checking account/online access -- reset.
    3) Update
    4) Citi should find your accounts. Relink them.
    5) Update again. The registry should update.

If this doesn't work, deactivate / reactivate one of the citi accounts in Quicken.

I can't say if this will work, but it's the way I'd work through it.
  • SteveK_ORD
    SteveK_ORD Member ✭✭
    Thanks, @Bruce763. I ended up trying to a few things and this finally worked (for now):
    1) Unlinked ALL my Citi accounts (including the credit card one that had just started working again).
    2) Turned off 2FA
    3) Enabled desktop access
    4) Relinked my Credit Card
    5) Then had to do "Add another account" and picked Citi online to search and it found my Checking/Savings accounts again to link

Now turning back on 2FA
  • Bob Uhl
    Bob Uhl Member ✭✭✭
    This morning I tested the Citibank connection from Quicken for both my checking & savings account and received a new error code today of CC-502.
  • baats
    baats Member ✭✭
    I got the same error message any one know what’s going on
  • LouQuick
    LouQuick Member ✭✭
    Hi, I am having the same issue and have also used both Citibank and Quicken for years and found the service generally spotty every time there is any kind of update. I am adding a post on this thread so I will get emails when there are updates so I will know when it gets repaired at some point. My experience has been that they always fixed these issues eventually, but I agree it is frustrating that no one seems to check that basic functionality will work when they release updates on either the Quicken or Citibank side. I've gotten sick of re-setting my accounts or performing some elaborate work-around every time this happens so I tend to just wait a bit to see if they will fix it first. Hopefully, they will get this up and running again soon. Hang in there.
This discussion has been closed.