Several accounts from different banks don't change from (c) to (R) after reconciling

SRSnure
SRSnure Member ✭✭
I've used Quicken for many years. Around the beginning of April 2022, when I download and auto-reconcile several accounts from different banks (Huntington, Ally, Chase, Capital One), the transaction status does not change from (c) to (R), nor does it change from bold text to standard. I found similar questions from other Quicken users. Quicken support suggested the following, but it did not work for me on any of these accounts...

"I suspect you did not check Auto reconcile downloaded transactions for this one account register. To set this register to behave as you have described the other registers, I suggest you open the register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, press Ctrl + R, choose Online Balance, check Always use online balance for this account and Auto reconcile downloaded transactions, and select OK."

My version of Quicken is the most current release: R40.21 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Steve

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these transactions in bold text "real register transactions" or are these past due scheduled reminders still waiting to be turned into register transactions?

Can you please capture one or more images of the account register (all columns with column headers) showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    There does not appear to be a way for me to upload images when replying using, "Leave a Comment". However, I do see that this feature is available when creating a new "Ask a Question" or "New Discussion". That said, I'll do my best to describe the issue.

In one of my Huntington Bank checking accounts, the bold text transactions are "real register transactions" and are not "past due scheduled reminders...". I just updated this account with "Update Now", the date which can be seen on the upper left-hand corner of the account register. If I now use CTRL-R to display the reconciliation window, it says "There are no transactions to reconcile". Transactions prior to 4/16/22 are in standard text with (R) in the CLR field. The transactions after 4/14/22 are in bold with a (c) in the CLR field.

As I mentioned in my original post, this happens with other accounts as well, although not all accounts. I have not made any changes to settings beyond the recommendation referenced from Quicken Support in my original post.
  • cwrigg
    cwrigg Member
    I am having the same problem.. Quicken has become very buggy . I seem to encounter different issues every time Download. I am a thirty year user, so I pretty familiar with the program. It has become very frustrating. Some accounts won't reconcile, some stop updating transactions. Please Quicken get your act together.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    SRSnure said:
    There does not appear to be a way for me to upload images when replying using, "Leave a Comment". However, I do see that this feature is available when creating a new "Ask a Question" or "New Discussion". That said, I'll do my best to describe the issue.

In one of my Huntington Bank checking accounts, the bold text transactions are "real register transactions" and are not "past due scheduled reminders...". I just updated this account with "Update Now", the date which can be seen on the upper left-hand corner of the account register. If I now use CTRL-R to display the reconciliation window, it says "There are no transactions to reconcile". Transactions prior to 4/16/22 are in standard text with (R) in the CLR field. The transactions after 4/14/22 are in bold with a (c) in the CLR field.

As I mentioned in my original post, this happens with other accounts as well, although not all accounts. I have not made any changes to settings beyond the recommendation referenced from Quicken Support in my original post.
    As to uploading images ... you can drag and drop the image file(s) into the Comment box.
    "Bold text" vs. "standard text" register transactions: When enabled, reconciled transactions will be "greyed out" (shown in grey color) while unreconciled transactions will be shown in black color using the normal font setting. If there are past due Scheduled Reminders (showing as if they were register transactions already), they will be shown in bold face text. This is normal behavior of Quicken. (See Edit / Preferences / Register for the setting about "gray reconciled transactions")
    When starting a manual Reconcile (CTRL-R), what date is shown or what date did you enter in "Ending statement date"? From what you tell me about your register, the last successful reconcile was on 4/16/22.
    Do you normally auto-reconcile after transaction download? Or do you wait for a monthly statement before running a manual Reconcile (CTRL-R)? I always use manual reconcile to paper statement instead of auto-reconcile against online balance.

• SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    Although I've done reconciliations on the accounts in question since 4/16/22, they remain, as you referenced, in the "normal" font rather than changing to greyed-out. Likewise, they didn't change from (c) to (R).

When I press CTRL-R, I receive the pop-up box that says, "There are no uncleared items to Reconcile", even though there are transactions in the state I referenced in the prior paragraph.

To your last question, I used to not auto-reconcile. After using "One Step Update" I would select each account that needed reconciliation, review the transactions, then I'd click "Accept All". At that point, Quicken would accept all transactions, reconcile them and display them in the register in grey. Or, if there was a discrepancy it would pop up the manual reconcile window showing all unreconciled debits and credits.

However, after reviewing the troubleshooting steps for this problem, as outlined in my original post, I change these accounts to auto reconcile.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2022
    @srsnure - if you compare  the "Online Balance" to your register, what balance does it correspond to?  Is it the last time you reconciled?  Have you tried "forcing" the reconciliation window by changing a transaction from R to C (cleared) or blank (uncleared)?  I am hoping then the reconciliation window would pull in the other items as well.
  • SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    The Online Balance corresponds to the last time I reconciled.

Also, I just tried "forcing" the reconciliation window by changing a transaction from R to C (cleared). I then pressed CTRL-R and it brought up the reconciliation window with the above transaction already checked, but no other transactions were on the list.
  • If manually add a "test" transaction to your register and do a reconciliation, does that "test" transaction show up in the reconciliation window?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    SRSnure said:
    The Online Balance corresponds to the last time I reconciled.

Also, I just tried "forcing" the reconciliation window by changing a transaction from R to C (cleared). I then pressed CTRL-R and it brought up the reconciliation window with the above transaction already checked, but no other transactions were on the list.
    As the Online Balance Quicken obtains from the financial institution appears to be unreliable, I suggest you reconcile using a statement obtained from the financial institution: open the account register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, and press Ctrl + R, choose Paper statement, ...
  • @SRSnure - I think I know why your reconciliation is not working.  Since your "Online Balance" is the same as your register balance the last time you reconciled, Quicken thinks you are in balance and there is no need for a reconciliation.  The root of your issue is that you Online Balance is not being updated.  I think if you do a "Reset Account" that might fix it.  Go to Account Details->Online Services tab-> and then click on "Reset Account".  You might be prompted to resign in to your accounts.  Most of the time, this information is prefilled, but just in case, have your information ready.  It does sometime take a while, and during the process, don't hit "OK" before it's completely done.  After you have done this reset for all the affected accounts.  Do an update and try reconciling again. 
  • SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    Here's what I've found...

1. After adding a test transaction manually, I set the transaction status to (c). I then pressed CTRL-R, but the reconciliation window did not display. Instead, the box that says, "There are no transactions to reconcile", was displayed. I then changed the status to (R) and the transaction appeared in grey.

2. The Online Balance does not match the register balance. The Online Balance shows the balance from 4/9/22. Note that all transactions since then are (c) cleared, but not (R) reconciled.

3. I "reset" one of the accounts in question, but doing so did not resolve the problem. Note that this issue appears with several accounts from different banks and happened to them all around 4/9/22.

4. For good measure I repeated the following step: Press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, and press Ctrl + R, ...

Summary
    So, the two things I see are that the Online Balance shown in Quicken is what the balance was the last time it balanced (4/9/22) and that, or therefore, the cleared transactions (c) are not changing to reconciled (R).
  • @srsnure - Have your tried doing a validate or Super Validate (Ctrl+Shift+Validate)?  The other think you can try is to reinstall Quicken.  Or, create a test file to see if the problem still exists in a new data file.  Of course before you do these troubleshooting steps, always do a backup first.

There have been other users that have had this issue and as @sherlock states sometimes the files Quicken gets are unreliable so they have resorted to manually reconciling their account.  When you did step 4 above, did you happen to notice what the online balance date was?  That could be telling.

The one thing you say that makes me believe that it could be your data file, or installation of Quicken is that you say you have this issue with several of your accounts that started on the same date.
  • SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    It seems that my issue caused several accounts, all at the same, to experience the same issue. I have to wonder if it was the April update from Quicken that is the culprit? That said, I would expect others to have the same issue.

I just ran "Validate" and "Super Validate", but I saw no obvious errors related to this issue.

Also, I have not done "manual reconciliation" with any of my accounts.

Finally, I want to clarify #2 in my last post. The Online Balance shown on the lower left-hand side of the account register is showing what the balance was after the last update before (I believe) this issue began. I balance all accounts once per week, so that Online Balance amount does not track with the Bank's statement balance.
  • Have you tried to restore a backup file from before the issues occurred?  Hopefully you can find one from right before the issues first appeared.  You will need to do a catch up of course, but what you have been through, that would seem easy.  if after you restore a "good" backup and go through the update process and reconcile, and it still doesn't work, I think you should do a reinstall of Quicken, and then restore a "good" backup, and go through the process again.
  • SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    Damian - Thanks for all of your assistance. Fortunately, I have several backup data files prior to this issue. As you know, it would be a lot of work to restore a file, then have to re-categorize them as well as add memos and tags, both of which I use extensively. That said, I could print or export transactions to Excel to save that data. I'm thinking of first creating a trouble ticket with Quicken before taking that step, although I've had mixed results with them in resolving issues.
  • @SRSnure - I understand, you need to proceed the way you feel most comfortable.  It has become easier, at least, to export data and account transactions to Excel.  Please be sure to save or print all you can.  That would include bills, address file, account information, etc.

But, yes, I think creating a ticket with Quicken Support first is a good idea.  They might have a solution that we all have not thought about.  Good luck.
  • SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    Damian. FYI... I just re-installed Quicken, but the problem remains.
  • @SRSnure - sorry to hear that.  Did you restore a backup from before when the issues first appeared?
  • SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    Damian - I'll do the backup restoration in the next few days. I'll report back with my findings. Thanks!
  • ocheyette
    ocheyette Member ✭✭
    I have been having the same problem as SRSnure. In the last couple of weeks (since around May 20th) credit card accounts have stopped reconciling, with the message "there are no uncleared items to reconcile". This is happening across 3 accounts & all started doing it at the same time.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    ocheyette said:
    I have been having the same problem as SRSnure. In the last couple of weeks (since around May 20th) credit card accounts have stopped reconciling, with the message "there are no uncleared items to reconcile". This is happening across 3 accounts & all started doing it at the same time.
    As the Online Balance Quicken obtains from the financial institution appears to be unreliable, I suggest you reconcile using a statement obtained from the financial institution: open the account register, press Ctrl + Shift + E, select the Online Services tab, uncheck Reconcile using online balance, select OK, and press Ctrl + R, choose Paper statement, ...
  • @ocheyette - after looking at this issue for a while now, the bottom line answer is that your financial institutions are not reporting the current online balance.  That is why Quicken is saying "there are no uncleared items to reconcile".  The last reported online balance was when you last reconciled.  What happened to cause this is the "64 thousand dollar question".  You didn't mention what financial institutions, or what connection types, but as @sherlock mentioned certain connections (EWC) can be unreliable, or I say "touchy".
  • ocheyette
    ocheyette Member ✭✭
    Well, it's odd that the same problem should be occurring with Chase credit cards, Citi credit cards, Fidelity credit cards and Bank of America checking accounts (x2). I mean, that all these financial institutions should stop working properly with Quicken at the same time is a striking coincidence.
  • SRSnure
    SRSnure Member ✭✭
    I have to agree with "ocheyette". As I reported in my original post/question, I had four different banks with the same reconciliation problem occurring at the same time, so I doubt that is the issue. I've been at a state park the last several days with no internet. My next step will be to contact Quicken support to see if they have a solution. I'll report back with my findings.
This discussion has been closed.