Quicken reporting - custom spending categories - [long PDF explanation]

billpfaff
billpfaff Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Is it just me or is there a problem with the "Where did I spend my money" feature of easy answers reporting? Seems the "Customize Report" feature isn't working.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    More details, please.
    What version and release of Quicken are you using? (R xx.xx)
    US or Canadian version?
    Explain what problem you are encountering in detail.

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• billpfaff
    billpfaff Member ✭✭
    I know you said PDF is tough to work with but I laid out the problem in word and then converted it to PDF as I really don't know how to get the response in any other format so if the PDF doesn't work for you let me know and I'll try to do something else.

Thanks for your help
    Bill
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that the "EasyAnswer" report that you are starting with has been pre-filtered so that it only includes transactions for the selected Category. That means you can't customize that report to include more Categories.

If you want a report that includes more than one selected Category, you should customize the Reports > Spending > Itemized Categories report.

Out of curiosity, why do you have Categories with names that begin with plus signs then "Annual Spending"? It seems this would just add confusion, because sometimes the plus sign is an indicator that there are subcategories and you can click on the plus sign to see them. Also Categories get applied to individual transactions, so "Annual spending" would not make sense.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your report customization, I think what's tripping you up is the existence of "+ Annual ..." in the "Matching" box. Try blanking that out.
    Instead of starting with an Easy Answer filtered report, try the Itemized Categories report (near the top of the Quicken Standard Reports in the Reports & Graphs Center). It should start out giving you all categories with transactions in the selected data range, same as the Easy Answer report, but otherwise unfiltered.
  • billpfaff
    billpfaff Member ✭✭
    Sorry this took so long to reply. We just got back from vacation and I was just now able to get to this. Your analysis is spot on. Works perfectly now. The interesting thing is I have been using quicken to report like this for 15+ years and this is the first time it hasn't worked. Don't know if they changed something or if I got lucky. Regardless thank you for your help!!!!!!

As for how I have classified categories with a "+" it's one of those where "you just had to be there". I set up the categories YEARS ago when I really didn't know what I was doing (as if I do now) and I never changed them. I guess I should go back and straighten things out but well.................. I guess I'm used to it at this point.

Thanks again
    Bill
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is easy to rename a Category to something that makes more sense, all you need to do is go to the Category list and edit the name.

All transactions that use that Category will change to use the new name.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • billpfaff
    billpfaff Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jim
  • alla
    alla Member
    Prior version of Income and Spending by Category report included sub categories Not so now, Any ideas on now to report to do so.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @alla
    In the customizations for the report, make sure the Advanced option to Show All subcategories is selected.  I can't say if that is a change in the default selections or not.
This discussion has been closed.