Where is the "Create New Report" selection?

jagbest
jagbest Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Hello,

In reading some of the help posts to try to answer a question about customizing report columns, I have seen references to a "Create New Report" selection that is supposedly available under the Reports tab at the top of the screen. There appears to be no such selection available on my subscription version of Quicken for Windows. After clicking the Reports and Graphs Center" selection under Reports, I'm again unable to find a "Create New Report" option anywhere. Is this "Create New Report" something that used to exist on other versions and is no longer offered?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jagbest

Best Answer

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is no explicit command to "Create New Report". Any time you open a report which is not a report you have previously saved, you are creating a new report.
    You have probably seen this advice because sometimes saved reports become corrupted and the remedy is to re-create that report from scratch and save it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    There is no explicit command to "Create New Report". Any time you open a report which is not a report you have previously saved, you are creating a new report.
    You have probably seen this advice because sometimes saved reports become corrupted and the remedy is to re-create that report from scratch and save it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jagbest
    jagbest Member ✭✭
    I see. Maybe this is a feature in Quicken for MAC? The post discussing this is in that section and is headed "Create and Customize Reports." It says:

Creating a new report from the Report tab
    One of the ways you can create a report is to use the Create New Report tool on your reports tab. This will give you many options to help you create a custom report.

Select the Reports tab. The Reports screen will appear.

Select Create New Report from the left column.

Select a type of report:
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Some things work differently in the Mac version of Quicken.

In Windows, you open one of the standard reports and customize it by clicking on the gear at the top right. You can select which Accounts, Payees, Categories, etc. to include and on some of the reports you can select which columns to display. You will find that the standard reports cover quite a wide range of situations.

If you describe what you would like the report to show, we can point you in the right direction.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jagbest
    jagbest Member ✭✭
    Thanks Jim. I'm needing several column headings across and the rows are the expenses. I'm not having a problem with the rows. The column headings would be months like January, February, March, with March showing as three columns based on two different tags (for each person's spending) and the total of both as the third column. The last column is the year to date total.

This is the format of an Excel spreadsheet I have been using to track monthly spending, and I am wanting to see if Quicken can replicate it for me or if I will need to export the data from Quicken to Excel.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jagbest
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken does not have a report like that, with columns of multiple months and 3 columns for each month. The columns are either Months or Tags, but not both.

Does every transaction in the report have either the "His" or the "Hers" tag?

Do you want to see the transaction detail, or summarized by Category or Payee?

You could do this with 2 reports, one for the His transactions and one for the Hers, with columns for the months.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • jagbest
    jagbest Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your reply Jim. Yes, every transaction is either "his" or "hers." I would want to see a detailed report by category.

I wish Quicken had more report flexibility so that I would not have to export data to Excel or a similar spreadsheet application. But if I can standardize the way Quicken's "output" looks like I can make it pretty automated.

Thanks again.

Jagbest
This discussion has been closed.