Report Building - Customized Categories

Options
HHPVentures
HHPVentures Member ✭✭
edited July 2022 in Reports (Windows)
Why is the popup interface for customizing reports so small? The window is so small that the sub categories don't show up with text. Anyone else deal with this issue or have a solution?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is currently no solution, other than shortening your Category and subcategory names. Also if you find yourself using multiple levels of subcategories, you might consider using Tags where appropriate. (Deluxe or higher required) 

Please review, comment, and vote for this Idea post
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7885698/this-is-a-improvement-request-for-reports-and-category-selection
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "The window is so small that the sub categories don't show up with text. "
    That statement suggests that you're not even seeing the first few letters of subcategory names, not that the subcategory names get truncated, sometimes leaving you unsure what subcategory to select.  This is typical of what I see when customizing:
    It would be nice to see complete subcategory names, but typically I can see enough of the name to allow for a proper selection.  Are you not getting even as much of the name as I'm showing here?
  • HHPVentures
    HHPVentures Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Tom,
    I'm not getting anything but the "dots". I have a couple main categories with sub categories since I have multiple properties. I would like to be able to expand the window to full screen or at least grab the corner and drag to a different size. This seem to be possible in most other windows based programs.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2022
    Options
    [corrected after further experiments]
    Not to make excuses for this issue, but how many levels of subcategories do you have?

If you reduce the number of levels, there will be more room for the subcategories. 

The preferred way to handle multiple properties is to have a separate Tag for each property rather than setting up subcategories for them.

And if a Category name has been truncated, you can hover your mouse over it and see the whole name.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @hhpventures - FWIW, if you hold your mouse pointer over the dots, a box pops up with the full category name.  But you do have a good point.  It would be nice to be able to expand (maximize) that category box, or the main window, to be able to see full category and subcategory names.
  • HHPVentures
    HHPVentures Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > [corrected after further experiments]
    > Not to make excuses for this issue, but how many levels of subcategories do you have?
    >
    > If you reduce the number of levels, there will be more room for the subcategories. 
    >
    > The preferred way to handle multiple properties is to have a separate Tag for each property rather than setting up subcategories for them.
    >
    > And if a Category name has been truncated, you can hover your mouse over it and see the whole name.

The category windows has space for about 15-18 characters before it goes to dots. Again, not sure why it has to be so limited.

My categories read like ParentCompany/Property/Category. I use tags to define down to the individual unit level.

Quicken seems to be investing in updates but mostly to the fee driven side and and not the User Interface Experience.
  • HHPVentures
    HHPVentures Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Damian said:
    > @hhpventures - FWIW, if you hold your mouse pointer over the dots, a box pops up with the full category name.  But you do have a good point.  It would be nice to be able to expand (maximize) that category box, or the main window, to be able to see full category and subcategory names.

Understood but only when you time it just right. Have to move the pointer in and out sometimes to get the name to appear. Frustrating when trying to pick a dozen categories.
  • HHPVentures
    HHPVentures Member ✭✭
    Options
    Is there an official way to ask the Quicken team to look into the issue and maybe even reply with an update on why it can or can't be corrected?
  • Jim_Harman
    Options
    One way to bring this to Quicken's attention is to comment and vote on the Idea post linked above. The product team periodically reviews these requests and sometimes implements them. About the only feedback we get is in the Idea's status.

The status starts as New, then if/when it moves forward, it goes to Under Consideration, Planned, and Implemented. If it is rejected, it goes to Not Planned. This one has been in the New state for over a year.

You can also use the Help > Report a Problem link and contact Quicken Support by phone. Make sure the support agent understands the problem  and you get a ticket number.

In the meantime, I suggest you consider ways to reduce the number of levels of subcategories you are using as has been suggested above. Normally the Category would be the top level. Do you have more than one parent company? If not, that is not contributing anything. If so and the parent companies file separate tax returns, I would set up a different Quicken file for each one. Then you could combine the Property and unit into one Tag. 
  • HHPVentures
    HHPVentures Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jim_Harman,
    Thanks for your comments. I could try reducing the number of levels of subcategories but I have a system that has been fine tuned over the years and would hate to start moving it around because of a report window size. I upvoted the link you provided. Kind regards.
This discussion has been closed.