Sections missing from Standard Reports List

harterpk
harterpk Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2022 in Reports (Windows)
There was a topic: "The banking and spending sections were missing from the Quicken Standard Reports List" that was closed after the poster was advised to re-install Quicken.

I noticed the same problem, but discovered that I could bring them back by turning on tabs in the menu under: View -> Tabs to show

If I don't include "Spending" in the "Tabs to show" then "Banking" and "Spending" do not appear in the Standard Reports List. This doesn't seem to have anything to do with "scroll bars" etc.

This seems to be a radical over-generalization of the Tabs setting. The fact that I never use the tab should not imply that I never want to generate a report.

This seems like a bug.

Comments

• That is interesting.  The reports behavior that you describe doesn't seem to happen in my version of Quicken.  I suppressed the Spending tab, the "Banking" and "Spending" reports remained intact.  I then hid some other tabs and it didn't have any effect on my standard report list.  Very strange that it would be happening to some users, but not all.
  • harterpk
    harterpk Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    That is strange. I am using Premier R40.21 on Windows 10 via subscription. I get this linkage between tabs and standard reports on my regular PC and my laptop, so it's at least that consistent. I wonder if the fact that you're running Windows 11 has anything to do with the difference we observe.
  • I was hoping that others that had the same issue as you would chime in.  It seems like an isolated issue.  I also read the very short thread about a similar issue that was closed without resolution.  Bottom line though, if you show all your tabs, you will be assured to have all your standard reports.  I know it doesn't answer "why", but it works.  In the meantime, if you are adventurous, you can create a test file and see if it has the same behavior as your current file.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Damian which tabs did you select to not show?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @mshiggins - spending, investing, Property & debt, bills &  income.  I also hid them all at one time and still no affect on my standard report list.
  • I never show "mobile" or "add ons"
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps my memory is faulty. I thought disabling Investing would hide Investing reports and disabling Planning would hide Tax reports. 

Maybe try closing an reopening Quicken while the tabs are disabled?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    Perhaps my memory is faulty. I thought disabling Investing would hide Investing reports and disabling Planning would hide Tax reports. 

Maybe try closing an reopening Quicken while the tabs are disabled?
    Your memory is good. I never use Tabs at all, but if I disable them in View > Tabs to Show, the corresponding reports do vanish.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @mshiggins - I went through clicking the tabs on and off.  You are right, the investment reports don't show if the investment tab is not shown.  I must have missed that the first time around.  But, all the other standard reports show no matter what tabs are showing or not showing.  The Tax reports always show no matter what tabs were not showing.  
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @rocket j squirrel  The only standard report section I can get to not show is Investment.  I suppressed all of the tabs, and the investment was the only one not showing.  Could it be that what a person experiences is dependent on what version they are on?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I hide all tabs (remember I don't display them, but I can still toggle them), this is what I am left with; very little. R40.21.
    This also affects the main menu, ugh! I use Classic menus instead of tabs. But hiding the tabs hides top-level menus as well. See what I am left with in Classic menus after hiding all tabs:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• I now understand why there was so much confusion.  The standard reports are suppressed in the "Reports & Graphs Center" but not in the "Reports Menu" on the Toolbar.  The only standard report that can be suppressed in the "Reports Menu" is for Investments.  Otherwise, the standard reports in the "Reports Menu" remain intact.  It is the standard reports in the "Reports & Graph Center" that get suppressed.  So what that means is that if your reports are suppressed in the "Reports & Graphs Center", you can always access them from the "Reports Menu".  I changed my set up as @Rocket j Squirrel and took a screen print of both menus.  As you can see only "Investments" is suppressed in the Reports menu, but all standard reports are suppressed in the "Reports & Graphs Center".  There seems to be many redundant (but useful) options in Quicken, which can cause confusion.  

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:

There seems to be many redundant (but useful) options in Quicken, which can cause confusion.  

Yes there are lots of places in Quicken where they implemented a new way to do things or look at your data.

Usually the new way is flashier, but often it dumbs things down or eliminates options to the point where it makes it less useful IMO.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • harterpk
    harterpk Member ✭✭✭
    Good to know I'm not crazy. Yes, the place where I notice standard reports going away is in the Reports and Graphs Center....
    I still think that I should be able to limit the tabs I display without removing sections from the standard reports. Seems like Quicken decided that they could implement the "enhancement" in the flashy Reports Center and not bother with back-porting it to the dropdown menu under Reports. You'd think these two views would be consistent.
This discussion has been closed.