download fidelity transactions older than 90 days

Options
willhunt
willhunt Member
I have read that there is a way to download 24 months of transaction/investing data from Fidelity, even if the default is 90 days. Anyone have ideas on how to do this on the mac subscription version? I've spoken to Fidelity customer service, who blamed it on Quicken, and to Quicken customer service, who and blamed it on Fidelity. I bought Quicken software in order to track my portfolio performance, so not having data older than 90 days defeats the purpose. Before I cancel/ask for refund, I figured I'd check here. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @willhunt

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question. 

This would be on Fidelity's (or whichever financial institutions that you use) side of things. 90 days is usually the number that banks use in regards to sending/downloading transactions in Quicken. However, you can import more transactions and a larger amount of data using a QFX file which you would download directly from Fidelity's website and then import into Quicken. You may follow these links here and here for more information regarding importing QFX/data into Quicken. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Stumped_CPA
    Stumped_CPA Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Quicken Jasmine" said:
    > ...However, you can import more transactions and a larger amount of data using a QFX file which you would download directly from Fidelity's website and then import into Quicken. You may follow these links here and here for more information regarding importing QFX/data into Quicken.

I am having trouble understanding this response. The similarity of the acronyms QFX and QXF does not help. As far as I can tell the two provided links above (https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows and https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-importexport-quicken-transfer-format-qxf-file) are both discussing QXF files. And one of these links points out specifically:

"Before you begin: QXF is different from QFX

QFX is the file format used when downloading transactions from your bank's website (Web Connect).
    A QXF is not a file type you can get from your bank.
    If you need information on downloading QFX files, you can find that here. You can also find troubleshooting steps here."

If I follow the links provided in the third bullet (If you need information on downloading QFX files...) it seems to indicate that a QFX file is a Web Connect file that can be downloaded from a financial institution such as Fidelity.

Is a "Web Connect" file something different than whatever the means is for Quicken to download the 90 days of information that Quicken is able to download by default? If Quicken already downloads transaction and other data from the likes of a Fidelity via a "Web Connect" file, then I'm totally perplexed. But the chain of links required to reach the extremely limited understanding that I think I have has left me dizzy and I think I need a bit more guidance.

Could someone provide the guiding light I need? Thank you for your continued assistance!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Forget QXF; it's a format for exporting or importing an entire Quicken file (and only has limited compatibility and usefulness).

QFX is a format for a file of financial transactions, and that is what Jasmine mentioned in her post. While many financial institutions limit online connections downloading into Quicken to 90 days of transactions, they allow users to log into their consumer website and download a file of transactions, with a longer time period, to their computer.  Some financial institutions only offer downloads in CSV format (for a spreadsheet), but that won't work with Quicken Mac. But many offer downloads in QFX format, and that will work for importing into Quicken. And yes, this process of importing a QFX file into Quicken is called "Web Connect". So "Web Connect" is when you download a file in QFX format to your computer, and then have Quicken import the QFX file. Not every financial institution provides QFX files for download; if yours does, then that's often a way to download transactions for up to a year (sometimes even longer).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Unfortunately, Fidelity Investments Mac does not support Web Connect (QFX import). So I'm afraid you're out of luck. However, you should find placeholder transactions automatically placed in the register that will bring your holdings/balance up to date.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.