Quicken doesn't open my file on startup

RickFlournoy
RickFlournoy Member ✭✭
Recently, an update was performed on Quicken and since that time it has stopped opening my data file when the program is started. Each time I start Quicken, whether the program has been updated or the computer restarts in the night after a Windows update, it is necessary to restore my data from a backup. If I don't create a backup before closing the program Quicken cannot open the automatic update it created upon closing and any data after my manual backup is lost.
Is this a Quicken problem, or a Windows problem?

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is your data file located (full path) and what is its name?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently, an update was performed on Quicken and since that time it has stopped opening my data file when the program is started. Each time I start Quicken, whether the program has been updated or the computer restarts in the night after a Windows update, it is necessary to restore my data from a backup. If I don't create a backup before closing the program Quicken cannot open the automatic update it created upon closing and any data after my manual backup is lost.
    Is this a Quicken problem, or a Windows problem?
    It's not a good idea to keep Quicken running overnight, especially if you have also configured Windows to automatically install updates and reboot the system. The Windows shutdown does not allow Quicken to properly close the data file. This leads to data file corruptions, as you experienced.
    I recommend you configure Quicken (in Edit / Preferences / Backup) to create both Automatic and Manual Backups every [1] time Quicken closes.
    When you are done working with Quicken for the day, close Quicken (using the red "X" button in the upper right) and let it create the backups.

• RickFlournoy
    RickFlournoy Member ✭✭
    Thank you, UKR, for the info. I had already done what you suggested, and reinstalled Quicken to get usable data files apart from the backup. However, I still have a problem. Each time I close Quicken it is necessary to manually reload my file the next time I open the program. This began after a recent update (about two months ago). Any ideas?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RickFlournoy
    Check your filename length. Quicken can get picky about it if it is longer than eight characters, 12345678.QDF. 
    Also check that there is not a space at the end before the period.
    Rename it in Windows Explorer with Quicken closed. Once renamed, double click on the file to start Quicken with that file, after that, it should find it on its own.
    The old file name will still be in the Recent File list (File menu), but if you select it, Quicken will tell you it can't find it and offer to remove it from the Recent File list.

• RickFlournoy
    RickFlournoy Member ✭✭
    Thank you Splasher. I followed your directions above and deleted all the old files, but I still get the screen in the attached screen shot every time (I've tried it six times so far).
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll ask again, "Where is your data file located (full path) and what is its name?"

• RickFlournoy
    RickFlournoy Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    C:/Documents/Quicken rflourn.qdf
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    C:/Documents/Quicken rflourn.qdf
    Are you sure this is correctly spelled?
    Usually the recommended and default is C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF

Here's something else to check if Quicken does not remember the last used data file name

• Make sure that the data file name does NOT have a blank space at the end of the name portion, e.g. QDATA_.QDF (where the underscore represents a blank space)
    • Check to ensure that the file QUSER.INI  in
      C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Quicken\Config
      (or C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config in older Quicken versions)
      is not set to Read Only. Your Windows User Account must have proper Windows security access to this file and all subfolders and folders above it, all the way up to the root directory.
      This file contains the list of recently used file names.
  • RickFlournoy
    RickFlournoy Member ✭✭
    UKR, you were correct about the path. I was looking only at the directory in Windows Explorer and failed to recognize the directories open above it. I've also changed the name of my file to QDATA.QDF and suddenly it works. I'm not sure how long the file name had been part of my first/last name, but the program worked fine until recently. Now, it seems to be good again. Thank you for your help.
This discussion has been closed.