How to deal with buggy Bills & Income area

WillDP
WillDP Member ✭✭
I've been using Quicken again for about a week. During this time, the Bills & Income area has crashed the app at least a hundred times, often many times in less than a minute. And it frequently decides to change the date of bills by months or 1-5 years at random. Any coping skills I can employ with this? This app happens to be the best for the way I do finances now that MS Money is no longer usable (which I used for over 20 years), so I need to make it work. I did call in to Support and reported all this, but the person I spoke with had no suggestions.

Comments

• WillDP
    WillDP Member ✭✭
    BTW I looked in "bugsplat" text file that the error handling is sending, and it appears I'm hitting an unhandled exception that is causing all my troubles. Hopefully Quicken folks are looking at what's flowing over to them, and this can be corrected.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken crashes, hangs or loops at startup?

Please try this:

• Reboot Windows.
    • Close Quicken (or do not start it at all).
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
      Usually your file is located in your C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
      If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works
        https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I am also seeing frequent crashes while navigating inside Bill & Income tab, Bills & Income section. Sometimes scrolling thru listings and other times when selecting an entry for editing.

The crashes spawn a crash report window. You should always send in a report. Quicken developers look closely at crashes and will eventually fix them if the reports keep coming in. I've been submitting several per week for the last few weeks.
  • WillDP
    WillDP Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for validating my experience, markus1957! Yes, I do have it submit every time, and try to explain what I was doing if I can articulate what I was doing specifically.
  • WillDP
    WillDP Member ✭✭
    BTW UKR it started crashing from the first time I used it. So there's nothing I can do to revert the data. And I have otherwise done the steps you indicated at least once without resolution.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In some other discussion I saw a reference to "Review and Repair Online Billers" (available from the Bills, Income & Transfers view).
    You may want to do this AFTER you have completed these file validation steps:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

This discussion has been closed.