display online balance [on investment account register]? (Q Mac)

pamela77
pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
I think this is a simple question. When I am in my credit card register I can choose between the online balance or the quicken balance showing in the upper right hand corner of the screen using a little drop down arrow. When I am in my brokerage accounts there does not seem to be an option. It is showing the quicken balance and I would like to see the online balance.
Thank you.

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    pamela77 said:
    I think this is a simple question. When I am in my credit card register I can choose between the online balance or the quicken balance showing in the upper right hand corner of the screen using a little drop down arrow. When I am in my brokerage accounts there does not seem to be an option. It is showing the quicken balance and I would like to see the online balance.
    Thank you.
    Hello @pamela77,  

Thank you for bringing the subject of brokerage accounts and tracking balance information.

While you could go to Window > Securities in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open, and then keep an eye on the daily amount here, the specific feature you are looking for does not exist in Quicken.

You can propose this feature by creating an Idea post using the steps listed here. Users can suggest features that they wish to see in an Idea thread, and it is then voted on by the other members of the Quicken Community. If it proves popular enough, the Idea is then handed over to the development team for further consideration.

I hope this is helpful.

Thanks again,

Quicken Jared 
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    That is an interesting window.. but I think I am asking something much more simple. When I have a brokerage account open there is a number on the top right of the screen that shows market value and next to it a gain/loss value. The market value is the total of the quicken value - it's what quicken thinks is the right number. If I am in a bank account I can choose whether that number is the quicken value, or the online value. Is that possible to do with a brokerage?
  • Quicken Jared
    pamela77 said:
    That is an interesting window.. but I think I am asking something much more simple. When I have a brokerage account open there is a number on the top right of the screen that shows market value and next to it a gain/loss value. The market value is the total of the quicken value - it's what quicken thinks is the right number. If I am in a bank account I can choose whether that number is the quicken value, or the online value. Is that possible to do with a brokerage?
    Hello @pamela77

I do apologize if my earlier answer seemed unclear. Thanks for seeking clarification about this.

It is not possible to view the online balance for a brokerage account, for the following reasons: in a banking account, the balance is a more or less stable number, but in certain Investment accounts, what is being displayed is the Market ValueMarket Value is a composite value of the Cash Balance and the value of the stocks, etc. that are held.  It can change minute-by-minute as stock prices get updated during the day. So, even though the brokerage is giving us the number of shares in the account, we do not rely on the brokerage for the price per share. 

The concept of “Online Market Value” is, thus, somewhat questionable. Now, if you would like to see the Cash Balance in the investment account - that might be a reasonable feature to add; namely, to allow investment accounts in Quicken to display either the online value or the Quicken value.  If this sounds like what you are seeking, then I have a suggestion for a workaround - go to the Transactions tab and click Reconcile.  Then click “Use online balance” and click Next.  You should now see both versions of the Cash Balance.

Hopefully that illuminates the situation with respect to online balances and your brokerage. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I get it now
  • Quicken Jared
    pamela77 said:
    Thank you, I get it now
    Hello @pamela77

Thanks for reaching out to let me know if that had cleared things up. 

Feel free to reach out anytime with any other questions or concerns.

Best wishes,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.