mortgage payment principle transfer or payment (Q Mac)

pamela77
pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
I have set up my mortgage manually (it's freedom which isn't working with quicken). My mortgage principle payment is set up as a transfer to the loan so that I can see the loan balance decreasing. However, it doesn't show up as a budget item. I thought I saw a post somewhere that it can be set up to also reflect a payment that will show up in the budget but I can't find it. Can it be done that way somehow?
Thank you

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, this can be accomplished. Go to Edit Budget. Click Select Categories. Now here's the unintuitive part: scroll down the list until you see "Transfers Out". Click the one which is "TO [loan account]". Click OK, then click Save for Edit Budget, and now your budget screen will show your loan payments. It won't be under "L" for loan; it will be under "T" for "TO [loan account]", which is a little weird, but functional. 

Note that if your loan payments are entered as a split with one split being mortgage interest expense and one part being the loan principal payment, these will show up under their respective categories (e.g. separately) in the budget.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you! that worked! I can see the payments. I went to the category list because I wanted to move the payment up under the "home" expenses, but it is not there in categories. So it isn't really a category that I can move, but I can get it to show up in the budget?

I also saw a category there called loan payment, but that wouldn't help here?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can't move a transfer's location in the budget.

The category "loan payment" would be something you could use if you weren't tracking the loan in a separate account, and just wanted to assign a category to the money going out.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I understand. That makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.