Locked Out

BriJenPet
BriJenPet Unconfirmed, Member
So Quicken is forcing me into a subscription. I hadn't decided whether to sign up for it, and now Quicken has locked me out of my account with over a decade's worth of data. Every time I try to open Quicken, it shuts down. I believe this is illegal as this was not the deal when I bought Quicken - every update to this point simply said I wouldn't be able to utilize features like connecting to banks and such. And worst part - Quicken is denying my account exists online. So I literally cannot renew and be reassured of getting my data back.

So how did Quicken manage to royally tick off a loyal customer of nearly 20 years in an instant?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: press the Ctrl key when you launch Quicken and select Help > About Quicken
    If you haven't already, I suggest you restore a recent Quicken file backup you saved before the issue appeared.
  • BriJenPet
    And how do I do that when I can't even have Quicken stay open? This WAS the version that worked reliably for a long time. It's only recent that Quicken is doing ransomware model. Besides, Quicken straight-out lied. There's a pop-up window claiming I can continue to use Quicken even though I'm not subscribing, only they're not letting me do that.
  • BriJenPet
    To answer your question, I had to upgrade, and because the website refused to recognize the e-mail log in I use for the program, I had to create a new account to download the subscription version. So I'm currently using the new one and of course all the data with the old version apparently can't be transferred to the new version because of the different e-mail address for log in. And it's saying I'll essentially lose everything I have set up. Oh, and even though it was paid for & downloaded from the 2nd e-mail, when I open it now, it's automatically set to the 1st e-mail (the one Quicken doesn't acknowledge) which is still insisting that my account is expired and that I need to subscribe. Neat little racket they have there.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    BriJenPet said:
    And how do I do that when I can't even have Quicken stay open? This WAS the version that worked reliably for a long time. It's only recent that Quicken is doing ransomware model. Besides, Quicken straight-out lied. There's a pop-up window claiming I can continue to use Quicken even though I'm not subscribing, only they're not letting me do that.
    You should have been able to launch Quicken without opening a Quicken file by pressing the Ctrl key when you open Quicken.   Then you would be able to tell us the version you were using and we could provide you with directions specific to the version of Quicken you were using.

There are many ways to restore a backup.  One ways is to open the Quicken file backup.
    BriJenPet said:
    To answer your question, I had to upgrade, and because the website refused to recognize the e-mail log in I use for the program, I had to create a new account to download the subscription version. So I'm currently using the new one and of course all the data with the old version apparently can't be transferred to the new version because of the different e-mail address for log in. And it's saying I'll essentially lose everything I have set up. Oh, and even though it was paid for & downloaded from the 2nd e-mail, when I open it now, it's automatically set to the 1st e-mail (the one Quicken doesn't acknowledge) which is still insisting that my account is expired and that I need to subscribe. Neat little racket they have there.
    You did not answer my question.

It appears you decided to upgrade.  I still suggest you restore a Quicken file backup you saved before the issue appeared.

Quicken IDs do not prevent us from opening Quicken files.  If you are not able to authenticate a Quicken ID associated with a Quicken file, you should be able to cancel through the prompts for the Quicken ID password to open the file.  Then, you should be able reset the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file to establish the appropriate authorized functional privileges.
    1. Select Edit > Preferences...
    2. Select Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    3. Select Sign in as a different user
    4. Enter yes 
    5. Select Sign Out
    6. Sign in with the your Quicken ID

• BriJenPet
    *sigh* In a hopeful attempt to fix the problem, I changed the e-mail associated with my account online to match the log-in in the program on my computer. So the IDs now match (although the passwords are different). When I try to log in, it only accepts the password associated with the older version, not the online version even though I downloaded again (and again). I suspect there's some internal account numbers that aren't visible to me, but aren't matching up.

But to clarify, I had the most recent version before this subscription. I don't remember the year, but I update to maintain my ability to download transactions.

I just tried it your way, using control when I click on Quicken icon, and it came up with the log in line blank instead of pre-filled. I was able to connect it with my new account, and all of the data looks present. So you fixed it. I'm just thoroughly confused because as mentioned, earlier I did try to change user and it wouldn't work.

I won't question the power of the almighty Ctrl. Thanks!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    BriJenPet said:
    *sigh* In a hopeful attempt to fix the problem, I changed the e-mail associated with my account online to match the log-in in the program on my computer. So the IDs now match (although the passwords are different). When I try to log in, it only accepts the password associated with the older version, not the online version even though I downloaded again (and again). I suspect there's some internal account numbers that aren't visible to me, but aren't matching up.

But to clarify, I had the most recent version before this subscription. I don't remember the year, but I update to maintain my ability to download transactions.

I just tried it your way, using control when I click on Quicken icon, and it came up with the log in line blank instead of pre-filled. I was able to connect it with my new account, and all of the data looks present. So you fixed it. I'm just thoroughly confused because as mentioned, earlier I did try to change user and it wouldn't work.

I won't question the power of the almighty Ctrl. Thanks!
    The version before the Quicken subscription in the US was Quicken 2017.  The latest Quicken 2017 US release is R20.5.

If you do decide to revert to an earlier release, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install while disconnected from the internet, update by applying the appropriate Mondo patch, and restoring a data file saved prior to updating from the earlier patch release.  Normally, I would provide a link to the Quicken Support page on the clean uninstall however, Quicken Support decided to archive the page mistakenly thinking it was no longer needed.  Here's a link to the page as saved on Internet Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20210510044051/https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken To update Quicken, I recommend you download and apply the appropriate Mondo patch from: https://www.quicken.com/support/patching-updates-windows, https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has, or http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

To prevent Quicken from applying an update without your approval, I suggest you set Windows UAC settings appropriately (choose default or always notify).

Note: The Quicken subscription's Quicken file is supposedly still compatible with Quicken 2016 and Quicken 2017.

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/Terms-and-Conditions-For-Exchanging-Canceling-or-Refunding-Quicken-Products
This discussion has been closed.