Quicken Balances

Options
My Quicken Transaction journal has a different total then my quicken on line balance.
The on line balance shown on quicken matches the account balance that my bank or credit card company shows.
I have no idea how to fix this without affecting the correct balance my Quicken shows
as on line balance.

Comments

• Judes1946
    Judes1946 Member
    Options
    This is on two credit card balances. The Quicken on line balance matches what my credit card company balance shows. I don't know how to get them to match.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Judes1946 said:
    My Quicken Transaction journal has a different total then my quicken on line balance.
    The on line balance shown on quicken matches the account balance that my bank or credit card company shows.
    I have no idea how to fix this without affecting the correct balance my Quicken shows
    as on line balance.
    Hello @Judes1946,    

I am sorry to hear about this problem with totals matching between the register and the online account balance. Thank you for bringing this issue to the Quicken Community in regards to this problem. 

First, what financial institution is this account associated with? Are you missing any transactions in the web application? I will need some additional information in order to troubleshoot this issue.

I look forward to seeing your response, and I look forward to working with you further on this issue, if necessary. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Judes1946 said:
    This is on two credit card balances. The Quicken on line balance matches what my credit card company balance shows. I don't know how to get them to match.
    So if you look at your credit card transactions on the financial institution's website, what transactions are different between that and Quicken?

My guess, without being able to see your information, is that the difference may be pending or pre-authorized transactions. The authorization takes place at the instant of the charge, and most credit card companies will decrease your available credit at that moment. Whether they count the pending charge as part of your balance at that moment or only when the charge posts a day or two later, depends on the financial institution — some do and some don't. Typically, pending or authorized transactions don't get transmitted to Quicken, and therefore aren't in Quicken's register balance. 

Examples: I filled my gas tank yesterday, using an AmEx card. AmEx immediately reported a $150 pre-authorization. Of course, I didn't purchase $150 of gas. (Well, I guess these days that's not an "of course"!, but I just "topped off" for $32.00.  ;) ) My Quicken register doesn't yet reflect this purchase. My AmEx balance doesn't yet count the purchase when reporting my balance, even though it shows a pending $32 charge. But if your credit card company includes the pending charge in your balance, Quicken and the card company website will differ on your current balance. Another example: I went out for dinner last night and the bill was $75. So my Visa card shows a pending $75 charge. But I added a $15 tip, which is not reflected until the updated transaction posts. Depending on your credit card company, they might include $0, $75 or $90 for this charge, depending on when I check.

(For these and other reasons, I don't use the online balance in Quicken. I reconcile to my monthly credit card statement, insuring that I'm comparing the same transactions in Quicken to the transactions on the credit card company's statement.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.