Locked Out! How to get Quicken to accept my Quicken ID and PW? (QWIN 2015) [Edited]

The_Aged_P
The_Aged_P Member ✭✭
Quicken Windows 2015.

I tried to create a new Quicken file (not just add a new bank account to my existing Quicken file). Quicken prompted me to enter my Quicken ID and PW. I did, but got sent to a "Something went wrong" message. Quicken would not accept the ID/PW, though did not say either was incorrect. Both were correct, FWIW. It was suggested that I try to create the new file as a different user w a different/new Quicken ID. So, I went through the different user bit, only to be met with the exact same and unhelpful message. OK, I thought, back to my regular Quicken ID/PW and just add a new bank to my existing Quicken file. I should have known. The same broken process that gave me the initial "Something went wrong" message appeared when I entered my (correct) credentials. Now, I can't even access my existing Quicken data file.

I've been using Quicken since the DOS days, and this present version for years, obviously. Never have I encountered being locked out of my own data by Quicken. Yeah, I could upgrade and pay $50/yr for a "subscription" I suppose, but $500+ over the next 10 years is not my idea of how to spend money.

What are my options (besides upgrading)? This feels like ransomware...I was perfectly content w Quicken Windows 2015. It did all I needed. Now I don't have a working version. My files are there, but the opening screen of Quicken won't let me past the Quicken ID/PW screen. This is a mess.
Tagged:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it is asking for the Quicken Id and not the Intuit Id?
    You have to be at the latest version of Quicken Windows 2015 so that it is asking for Quicken Id instead of the Intuit Id (which of course can't work because the servers are gone).

You can get the last Mondo patch install from here:
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2015-patches.html
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • The_Aged_P
    The_Aged_P Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Are you sure it is asking for the Quicken Id and not the Intuit Id?

Chris,

Well, I've probably painted myself into the proverbial corner. But, it was asking for a Quicken ID, and that's how I saved it in LastPass, so pretty sure NOT Intuit. And, as Quicken can VALIDATE my Quicken ID through other means (e.g., for access to THIS forum), it's also a known-good ID/PW combo. And, I'm sure I had updated it to the last release.

In any event, because of the sense of urgency to regain access to my data, I DID purchase a 1-yr subscription of Quicken, which is exactly what I had been so cheerfully avoiding w my 2015 version. And, the install CD for 2015 is somewhere hiding from me, so even trying to go back and sort this dog's breakfast won't be quick or easy.

Elsewhere, I've read that CTRL-Shift while starting older Quicken versions will bypass the demand for Quicken ID. If true, I wish I'd known. Amazing what even a transient loss of access to one's data can prompt one to do w/o thinking through other options and possible consequences.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing will bypass the quicken ID.

In quicken versions before the quicken/intuit ID existed you would get a prompt for registering that is what the special key sequence would turn off.

And that's what makes quicken 2013 a special release because it's the last one that didn't require a quicken ID.
    Signature:
  • The_Aged_P
    The_Aged_P Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Nothing will bypass the quicken ID.

And, if my experience is not unique, not even a legitimate Quicken ID & PW will get past that screen on 2015 and 2017. Seems the servers for those versions were taken down. So, even if I bother to find my Q2015 CD, I won't be able to use it because of the ID matter. I feel like a real sucker, falling for the "use a different Quicken ID" prompt. All that did was de-register my installation. It really DOES feel like ransomeware.
  • I did some testing on QWin 2015 and 2017.  I got into QWin 2017 just fine with my Quicken ID. It worked just fine.  The only thing was that it reminded me numerous times to upgrade.

As for 2015, it asked for my Intuit ID.  When I tried to sign in, I got an error message - "An unknown error occurred.  Please try to connect later".  I know the Intuit ID credentials were correct as I tested it with my account with Turbotax.

I have install files for Quicken Premier 2009 through 2017 and now I know that 2016 and 2017 are the only ones that will work.
  • The_Aged_P
    The_Aged_P Member ✭✭
    > @Damian said:
    > I did some testing on QWin 2015 and 2017.
    > As for 2015, it asked for my Intuit ID.  When I tried to sign in, I got an error message - "An unknown error occurred.  Please try to connect later".  I know the Intuit ID credentials were correct as I tested it with my account with Turbotax.

YEP. That's what I surmised. So if anyone HAS a working installation of QWin 2015, they'd better leave it alone. Seriously irritating to me, But, now I know. But this whole scenario reads like a Dlibert strip. This will be my first and last year w Quicken 2020, if I acquire a legitimate CD of QWin 2017.

Thanks for confirming my fears, but also for confirming what DOES still work.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    As for 2015, it asked for my Intuit ID.  When I tried to sign in, I got an error message - "An unknown error occurred.  Please try to connect later".  I know the Intuit ID credentials were correct as I tested it with my account with Turbotax.

I have install files for Quicken Premier 2009 through 2017 and now I know that 2016 and 2017 are the only ones that will work.

@Damian did you install the latest patch version for Quicken 2015 so that it is switched from the Intuit Id to the Quicken Id?

You can't use an Intuit Id because Intuit doesn't own Quicken any more.  They removed the license servers for Quicken long ago.  It doesn't matter if your intuit Id is "valid".  That is why it was been repeated many times that anything from Quicken 2014 to 2017 has to be on the latest patch release or else it will try with the Intuit Id instead of the Quicken Id (in truth some were switched before the very last version, but you might as well have the latest).

YEP. That's what I surmised. So if anyone HAS a working installation of QWin 2015, they'd better leave it alone.

At one point or another I have been successful in installing/using every version of Quicken I still have the install for.
    That includes, Quicken 6, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 (I skipped 2008 and 2009, because like a fool I bought and installed 2007 when it first came out and of course it was bug ridden, and I lost faith that they would fix it), 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, subscription.  I had other versions that I'm sure would install, but I tossed out their install CDs at one point.

Quicken 2015 install:

Finish and closing without starting Quicken.

Installing QW2015R17.4MPatch.exe (R17.4 Mondo):

Patch needs Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 (x86, 32-bit version since Quicken is 32-bit):
    Download Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013 from Official Microsoft Download Center

So, exit Quicken patch install and install that and then back to the Quicken patch install.

Clicked Start Quicken.

I'm on a "clean" Windows 10 virtual machine so I'm going with "I'm New" to create a new data file.  I will use my Quicken Id that I use for the Starter version (which I use only for testing).
    And then cancel this dialog (removing Remind me later checkbox).

Old bug, prompts again for the login before opening the data file after the install.

Selected SIGN IN and signed in again "same dialog as above", but with my Quicken Id already filled in, just need the password.

Of course, Don't use mobile, and then Next.

Select Add Account:

I'm going to punch through the setting up a manual checking account.

Selected OK to the dialog and then open the checking account.

Signature:
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @chris_qpw - no I didn't update my installation of Q Win 2015 to the latest patch.  I will try that and see if that works for me.  I got the patch from your website.  Thank you.  Now that I see that it works for you, I am sure I can get it to install too.  Question though, even if these Quicken versions before 2016 can be installed, why would you want to?  I have backup files from 2009 to current, and I can open any of them with my current subscription version of Quicken.  And, even if someone was able to install an old version (pre 2016), and had an old data file, would it work properly?  I have found that old programs eventually become obsolete because it is no longer compatible with "new technology".
  • BriJenPet
    BriJenPet Unconfirmed, Member
    I am having a very similar frustration with this ransomware. I hadn't decided to sign up for the subscription model, and now Quicken is locking me out of my data. It shuts down every time I try to open it. Interestingly, there was a prompt to enter my password during this process, and I had to create a new password because it wasn't accepting my password. My e-mail/ID was pre-filled, so that's what was in the program. But when I try to log into my account online, it denies my account exists. And trying to use the e-mail to reset the password doesn't work - it simply doesn't send the reset. Even though the program did minutes earlier. It's frustrating and maddening.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @BriJenPet Your problem is different.  I suggest that you start your own question (New Post from at the top of this page).  Or you might even be better off contacting Quicken support for this kind of problem.
    Contact Quicken Support

Damian said:
    Question though, even if these Quicken versions before 2016 can be installed, why would you want to?  I have backup files from 2009 to current, and I can open any of them with my current subscription version of Quicken.  And, even if someone was able to install an old version (pre 2016), and had an old data file, would it work properly?  I have found that old programs eventually become obsolete because it is no longer compatible with "new technology".
    I personally like to stay up to date and not have nasty surprises when life decides to change around us, but others don't always see it that way.  Side note, the problem with the statement some people like "If it an't broke, don't fix it." is that the universe doesn't abide by this and is always changing and doesn't care what people think on the subject.

But there are reasons for staying with an older version.
    1. Lots of people think the Subscription costs too much.
    2. The new versions aren't without problems, neither are the old ones, but they tend to be "known", along with workaround.
    3. From Quicken 2013 down they don't need a Quicken Id.  That means the Quicken 2013 and below can be installed even if there aren't any Quicken servers.  Which might be the case if Quicken Inc goes out of business.
    4. If you are manually entering all your transactions, then there really isn't a whole lot that has been added since 2013.  Most of what is new has to do with online services or is fairly minor.
    5. Microsoft (unlike Apple) is pretty good at staying compatible with old software.  What tends to break in Quicken is the printer and help functions.  Which may or may not be that important to people.  In Quicken 6 there is also an "audio player" that doesn't work right and has to be constantly killed or ignored when it pops up.  And above you can see one of the other thing that changes and might be a problem, both the C++ runtime and the .Net versions keep moving, and you have to hope that Microsoft keeps their installs around and working, but up to now that is happening. But even Quicken Subscription isn't immune to this.  One reason not to go to 64-bit for Quicken is because it is dependent on some unsupported parts like the database where they can't get a new version, and to replace it would probably be close to a totally rewrite.
    But with all that being said that is why Quicken 2013 is the perfect "manual only" version of Quicken.  It is as new as you can get without taking on some of the other risks from above, and probably will be OK for quite some time.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @BriJenPet Sorry, I didn't see that you had already started another thread on this before I posted this above.
    Signature:
  • BriJenPet
    BriJenPet Unconfirmed, Member
    Thanks. I'll stop commenting here so people can focus on your problem.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited June 2022
    @chris_qpw - If the worst case scenario (#3) happens and one would need to go back to  Quicken 2013, that would still mean exporting/importing a QIF file.  Most users would not know how to do this, or are not ready to go through the "agony" of recreating a data file from QIF files.  I hope that if it ever does happen, there will be a "sunset" version like MS Money created.

I think (#1) is the main reason why a user won't update.  I still think the Quicken subscription is a bargain, and sometimes you can find it at a sale price at a retail store.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Damian I think it is more about perceived cost, not actual cost.  As in since there isn't any features in the new version that they don't already have in their old version, they don't see any reason to pay even a $1 more the new one.  And the fact that the price has gone up lends wood to the fire.

With the people that really evaluate everything and still choose to stay at an old version I believe it is more about that they rather deal with the known problems and workarounds than deal with the new ones.
    Signature:
  • I understand what you are saying but Quicken users are not only paying for the software with the annual subscription, but also the cost of maintaining connectivity with the financial institutions, technical support, and customer support.  Just maintaining and keeping Quicken services running costs money, let alone providing users with enhancements and new "bells and whistles" that people expect with their annual subscription.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Damian said:
    I understand what you are saying but Quicken users are not only paying for the software with the annual subscription, but also the cost of maintaining connectivity with the financial institutions, technical support, and customer support.  Just maintaining and keeping Quicken services running costs money, let alone providing users with enhancements and new "bells and whistles" that people expect with their annual subscription.

But these people will claim that they want none of that.  Remember if you are using Quicken 2017 and below you can't make use of any of those things.  And even some people that are paying for Quicken Subscription are in that camp, like foreign users, and people that just only want to do manual entry.  They will claim they should get a discount because they aren't using the feature (or pay once and never again).

Now I want to make something very clear, this isn't my viewpoint on any of this.
    1. I started using Quicken in 1992 but stopped after couple of years because I found manual entry to be too much of hassle.  At that time, you couldn't download automatically.  I started again in 1996 when it was possible to download.  So, I'm certainly not in the manual entry camp.  What's more as of late, I can pretty much maintain my finances with would my financial institutions provide.  I use Quicken because it isn't much of a hassle to me, the cost is very reasonable, and as a sort of hobby.
    2. At times I seen posts like "I have been a loyal customer for 20 years, I'm using Quicken 2001", and then they start into whatever problem they are having.  They aren't loyal and they aren't customers.  I believe in supporting the people that make software that I'm using.  Yes, even the "free, but it would be nice if gave a donation" software.  If one wants a program/company to be around in the future, they should give serious thought to actually giving that company some money on a fairly regular basis.  This is something I don't think a lot of people give any thought to.
    3. Some people must know nothing about producing a product.  The cost goes up as you put in more configurations, not down.  But the people want a discount for something that costs the company more!
    Signature:
  • I completely understand.  And, these same people who complain about Quicken now, will be the same ones that complain if Quicken ever "sunsets' like MS Money.
This discussion has been closed.