Why do multiple AmEx charges download as Netflix? (Q Mac)

xraydoug
xraydoug Member
Whenever I download AmEx transactions, it is inevitable that I will get 5 or 6 that say the payee is Netflix, but when I check the AmEX account online, these are actually other payees. There appears to be little consistency in which transactions get mislabeled; it can be anything from Apple to a local store that end up importing as Netflix. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any ideas how to fix it?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    xraydoug said:
    Whenever I download AmEx transactions, it is inevitable that I will get 5 or 6 that say the payee is Netflix, but when I check the AmEX account online, these are actually other payees. There appears to be little consistency in which transactions get mislabeled; it can be anything from Apple to a local store that end up importing as Netflix. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Any ideas how to fix it?
    Hello @xraydoug

I am sorry to hear about this issue with transaction information being incorrect. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, what do you notice when you navigate to Window > Payees & Rules in the upper menu at the top of the screen, and then to QuickFill Rules? Do you see a checkmark in the box next to Use this as a default rule if more than one rule exists for "Payee Name Will Be Listed Here" when you click on Netflix and then click the button with the pencil icon in the bottom? 

Also, what Connection Type do you use to add or link your account to online banking services? You can check this by clicking on your AmEx account in the left-hand panel of the Quicken window, then navigating to the Settings button denoted by the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. Finally, go to the Downloads tab in the window that appears. The connection type should be listed here.

I look forward to hearing your answers. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • xraydoug
    xraydoug Member
    Hello, Jared. Thank you for your reply. I see a single entry for Netflix, and it has the correct category association. No, the checkbox is not marked. The Connection Type for AmEx is Quicken Connect.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    xraydoug said:
    Hello, Jared. Thank you for your reply. I see a single entry for Netflix, and it has the correct category association. No, the checkbox is not marked. The Connection Type for AmEx is Quicken Connect.
    If you're downloading AmEx Credit Card transactions from Financial Institution = "American Express", for best results the connection type should be "Direct Connect". See if you can upgrade your connection ...

• xraydoug
    xraydoug Member
    Thank you. I will try that and see if it makes a difference. I'm hoping that AmEx does not charge a fee for that connection.
This discussion has been closed.